What's new

Leakage of China's next-gen WZ-12 attack helicopter

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Apparently, this thing is stealth (not too surprising), is similar to the RAH-66 Comanche, and will enter service in 2012 after a decade of development.

Here's the report (translated from Mandarin by Google Translate):

"Zhu Wu Yuan technology straight -12

Captain 13.48 m
Height 3.12 m
Rotor diameter of 10.39 m
Empty Weight 3300 kg
Take-off weight of 7700 kg
Flight performance (2000 kg, sea level, standard atmosphere)
Maximum speed of 295 km / h
Cruising speed 315 km / h
Maximum tilt climb rate of 8.5 m / s
Range of 640 km
Life time of 3 hours 45 minutes
No static ground effect ceiling 3400 m
To effect a static ceiling 4100 m
Weapons: 20mm cannon (500 rounds of depleted uranium armor shells)
Built-in weapon storage: up to 9K carrying 12 anti-tank missiles flag
Power: two AVIC 11 with the AVS-1-1 turbo-shaft engine (single 1180 hp)

According to insiders; Chinese WZ-12 prototype factory in Jiangxi Changhe Aircraft has been around, doing a lot of performance testing, but the data being kept secret.

WZ-12 Comanche and the United States is very close to the performance, but has some innovation with Chinese characteristics.

WZ-12 is expected to direct in 2012 after 10 years of official development."

My guess is that the WZ-10 won't be produced in big numbers.

why cant these powerplants be used on the WZ-10 which is having engine integration issues!?

Apparently, this thing is stealth (not too surprising), is similar to the RAH-66 Comanche, and will enter service in 2012 after a decade of development.

Here's the report (translated from Mandarin by Google Translate):

"Zhu Wu Yuan technology straight -12

Captain 13.48 m
Height 3.12 m
Rotor diameter of 10.39 m
Empty Weight 3300 kg
Take-off weight of 7700 kg
Flight performance (2000 kg, sea level, standard atmosphere)
Maximum speed of 295 km / h
Cruising speed 315 km / h
Maximum tilt climb rate of 8.5 m / s
Range of 640 km
Life time of 3 hours 45 minutes
No static ground effect ceiling 3400 m
To effect a static ceiling 4100 m
Weapons: 20mm cannon (500 rounds of depleted uranium armor shells)
Built-in weapon storage: up to 9K carrying 12 anti-tank missiles flag

According to insiders; Chinese WZ-12 prototype factory in Jiangxi Changhe Aircraft has been around, doing a lot of performance testing, but the data being kept secret.

WZ-12 Comanche and the United States is very close to the performance, but has some innovation with Chinese characteristics.

WZ-12 is expected to direct in 2012 after 10 years of official development."

My guess is that the WZ-10 won't be produced in big numbers.

Comanche was a failed idea. Why would China want to do something similar?

Is there a link for the source? Pic?
If you say WZ-10 will enter service by 2012 then it is more believeable.

Is there a link for the source? Pic?
If you say WZ-10 will enter service by 2012 then it is more believeable.

vcqrg6.jpg

^^^ I think that is the rumoured WZ-10.

I did google image search and that pic was tagged under it.

WZ-10:

16m22k0.jpg

2uiksax.jpg

Edit: from the weapon load it seems that both the inner wing and outer wing pylon can carry rockets but only the outer position can carry missiles. So it can only carry either anti armour or air to air missiles separately.

Lol so much for being top secret when it is already covered in mags for high school kids.
I heard the odd number of rotor blades is to prevent resonance. Submarine also uses 7 propeller blades.

Last edited:
Comanche was a failed idea. Why would China want to do something similar?
It was not failed actually.....US just put more efforts to UCAV tech instead of investing more in comanche.....And i think thats because a stealth heli is more good for conventional war rather COIN operations....

WZ-10:

16m22k0.jpg

2uiksax.jpg

Edit: from the weapon load it seems that both the inner wing and outer wing pylon can carry rockets but only the outer position can carry missiles. So it can only carry either anti armour or air to air missiles separately.

Lol so much for being top secret when it is already covered in mags for high school kids.
I heard the odd number of rotor blades is to prevent resonance. Submarine also uses 7 propeller blades.

It looks like it has stealth features but it also has some structures that looks problematic for stealthiness.

This is NOT the WZ-10. The other reports in fact states the difference between the WZ-10 and WZ-12. And not the mention that the reports came after the induction of the WZ-10.

Now, I'm guessing in the future the WZ-12 will be the main strike force, while the WZ-10 and the WZ-19 (yes, the WZ-19 made its first flight August 2010), will be for support.

BTW, if you want more info on the WZ-19, search "武直19" on Google.

Here's a CGI of what may be the WZ-12:
2010_3_10_95531_10795531.jpg

The the WZ-12 is a heavy weight attack helicoptor? You are saying that wz-10 and wz-12 is similar to how us have both cobra and apache?

The the WZ-12 is a heavy weight attack helicoptor? You are saying that wz-10 and wz-12 is similar to how us have both cobra and apache?

Yes, the WZ-12 is a heavy attack helicopter. No, it's not like the Apache and the Cobra. The WZ-10, WZ-19, and WZ-12 are all being produced. It's just that I think the WZ-10 and WZ-19 won't be produced as much as the WZ-12

BTW, I'm also starting a new thread on China's newly-released WZ-19 attack helicopter.

It is crazy to have 3 types of attack helicopters, eventhough they are in different weight classes.

May be they are competing for a final selection?

It is crazy to have 3 types of attack helicopters, eventhough they are in different weight classes.

May be they are competing for a final selection?

They could be competing, but I doubt the WZ-19 or WZ-10 will even be any match for the stealth WZ-12.

My guess is that the WZ-12 will be the mainstay, while the WZ-10 and WZ-19 will be secondary force.

In total, China will will have 5 types of attack helicopters:
- WZ-11
- WZ-9
- WZ-19
- WZ-10
- WZ-12

It's not that crazy.

Back
Top Bottom