What's new

Lawyers shower Pakistan governor's assassin with rose petals

Would it have been more acceptable for some of you if Salman Taseer was legally executed by ruling of the Supreme Court for mass corruption, abuse of power, misuse of public money, and other high violations of the law?

By the way former Speaker of the Upper House Mr. Muhammad Iqbal Khan has replaced Salman Taseer as Acting Governor of Punjab province. I wish him luck with his duties and hope he does a better job than his predecessor. I don't know much about it so I'm uncertain.
Yes..... I would have support it....

Death of Taseer is the happiest moment for PMLn and all these scumbag lawyers are Nawaz supporter. Nawaz League is happy they have achieved something for time being again selling religion to the public, just like their Master sold Islam to the nation and got jawbreaker flight to end his life.

Absolutely Disgusting.Pretty much proves that Pakistanis are barbarians (At least the majority which is praising the killer).

A bit exaggeration but then....even if 20% people are 'the killing is sad BUT...'. Look at the keyboard warrior @Tayyab says above. God he and a few others scare me more than the village paindoos do.

My observation, going through various comments in blogspace, is that about, on average, every fifth person is either open supportive of the killing or have this standard '....But...' approach. At PKPolitics.com there is widespread support for the assassin but then that is a PMLN pro blogspace and so no surprise there.

20% is a very large number in a population of 170 million.

Finally, I am glad someone has a separate Topic here: I now want not only our dirty laundry to be exposed and I also want to harden enough with disgust to sow the seed of a counter attack. We will NEVER forgive or forget what these Haramkhors and enemies of Pakistan have done to the 'Last Man Standing'. One day, with MQM, PPP, ANP and state support, we will hunt you down.

A bit exaggeration but then....even if 20% people are 'the killing is sad BUT...'. Look at the keyboard warrior @Tayyab says above. God he and a few others scare me more than the village paindoos do.

My observation, going through various comments in blogspace, is that about, on average, every fifth person is either open supportive of the killing or have this standard '....But...' approach. At PKPolitics.com there is widespread support for the assassin but then that is a PMLN pro blogspace and so no surprise there.

20% is a very large number in a population of 170 million.

Finally, I am glad someone has a separate Topic here: I now want not only our dirty laundry to be exposed and I also want to harden enough with disgust to sow the seed of a counter attack. We will NEVER forgive or forget what these Haramkhors and enemies of Pakistan have done to the 'Last Man Standing'. One day, with MQM, PPP, ANP and state support, we will hunt you down.

Well, check out the other Pakistani defence forum which is formed of majority of Pakistani members and you will see each and every person there openly supports the crime, and most do not even realize it was a "crime".

If you haven't noticed, it's a little ironical that Pakistan's Lawyers, the people who make a living out of studying Pakistan's law and helping Pakistan's people out on legal matters, are showering rose petals on the assassin of a governor. Even if it's "just them" there must be something that makes them think they can openly display such behavior.

by the way if muslims sit quite, liberals cross limits. issue of drawings of our BELOVED PROPHET(S.A.W.W.) and pages of facebook or many other such acts are becoming very routine matter and are accepted as freedom of expression. our religion teaches us not to abuse any religion but at the same time not let others to harm your religion too. people are calling salman taseer a true muslim, my question is does a true muslim drinks wine? his way of living? his family open broadness? many other facts. and who uptill now has been punished or what judicairy would have done against him?
killing is wrong but lack of justice and inability of our government to practice true ISLAM is providing religious extremists with reasons for such acts.
i am not so conservative but i cann,t justify myself to lend countenace to salman taseer cos he too was breaching some prohibitted boundries and it is open to most of PAKISTANSE if not foreigners.

If you haven't noticed, it's a little ironical that Pakistan's Lawyers, the people who make a living out of studying Pakistan's law and helping Pakistan's people out on legal matters, are showering rose petals on the assassin of a governor. Even if it's "just them" there must be something that makes them think they can openly display such behavior.

on a lighter note.. maybe they are expressing themselves openly due to a democratic system and freedom of expression.

I rather see the ones that support extremism show themselves rather than keeping it a secret.

look on the other side as well if you will. in Karachi men, women and children joined together in condemning the killing and lit candles in Suleman's memory.

please allow yourself to get a complete story and picture as well for a change .. just because we are at odds doesnt mean that you should ignore the half full glass my dear

Karachi's Candle vigil for Suleman Taseer
r

Candle light vigil for Taseer held

Candle light vigil for Taseer held

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Myra Imran
Islamabad

The civil society members has termed it a responsibility of the government to arrest those who are openly issuing ‘fatwas’ to kill people and are promoting extremist values that ultimately result in unfortunate incidents like the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer.

They were speaking at a candle light vigil organised by Insani Haqooq Itehad (IHI) at main Kohsar Market to pay tribute to Salman Taseer. They were carrying candles, flowers and placards inscribed with slogans against extremism. The IHI is a coalition of more than 30 civil society representatives and human right activists.

Around 300 civil society representatives and human rights activists gathered at the vigil. They were also joined by a big number of Islamabad residents including small children. Some of the Member National Assembly and senators also joined the gathering and expressed their views. Prominent among them were Javed Jabbar, Bushra Gohar, Saeeda Iqbal and Jamila Gilani.
salutesalmantaseer.jpg

from: Pakistan's increasing radicalisation: Staring into the abyss | The Economist

Staring into the abyss
Salman Taseer’s murder deals a huge blow to liberal Pakistan

Jan 6th 2011 | ISLAMABAD | from PRINT EDITION

THERE is a small space in which a liberal vision of Pakistan hangs on. It shrank a lot further with the murder on January 4th of a notable progressive politician and critic of religious extremism, Salman Taseer. Even before the assassination, the leading liberal-minded political party, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), which heads the government in Islamabad and counted Mr Taseer as an activist since the 1970s, was in deep trouble. On January 2nd the PPP lost its majority in parliament when the second-biggest party in the government coalition, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), walked out.

The PPP has been rocked by Mr Taseer’s murder, which brings back memories of the ghastly assassination by extremists of the party’s leader, Benazir Bhutto, in 2007. Pakistan’s problems, including an economy in a tailspin and a raging Islamist insurgency, are unlikely to get the attention they need while the government struggles for survival.

Mr Taseer was the governor of Punjab, a largely ceremonial position in Pakistan’s most populous province, but a high-profile one for all that. He had run a lonely but fearless campaign against Pakistan’s pernicious blasphemy law and was gunned down in broad daylight in Islamabad by one of his own police guards. The smirking killer later said he acted because Mr Taseer’s call for the blasphemy law to be repealed made Mr Taseer himself a “blasphemer”. Mr Taseer had taken up the case of a poor Christian woman, Asia Bibi, whom a court last year condemned to death for blasphemy. Mr Taseer himself was always sure that extremists did not represent the majority opinion in Pakistan, but that their recourse to violence means that they control public discourse.

“Pakistan lives under great intimidation, so it doesn’t matter whether extremism is a majority opinion or minority,” says Khaled Ahmed, an analyst. “Moderates will never get up and speak when we’re treated like this.” In 2009 a leading religious cleric who condemned suicide bombings was himself murdered by a suicide attacker. The same year the minister for religious affairs, also a moderate, was wounded in an assassination attempt. Other temperate voices have fled the country. The PPP dared not back Mr Taseer’s call for the blasphemy law to be overturned, nor even to back the law’s reform.

The law, first introduced in colonial times but in the 1980s made punishable by death by the late dictator General Zia ul Haq, is wide open to abuse, with hearsay used to convict dozens of people each year. Accusers routinely fabricate stories of blasphemy to punish enemies for other grievances. The law is vague and applies only to insults to Islam. Minorities and Muslims alike are caught up in its tentacles. The alleged blasphemy may neither be stated in the charges nor repeated in court, since that would in itself be an act of blasphemy.

Mr Taseer’s killer, Mumtaz Qadri, may have acted alone—an investigation may get to the root of it. Yet his cause has support in Pakistan. Lawyers outside the court showered him with rose petals. The murder follows a campaign of vilification by the clergy and sections of the press. A broad alliance of the clergy rushed out a statement lionising the assassin. “No Muslim should attend the funeral or even try to pray for Salman Taseer,” said Jamaate Ahle Sunnat Pakistan, which represents the large and moderate Barelvi sect of Islam.

Religious parties do not attract much support at election time—they polled less than 5% of votes in the last ballot, in 2008. However, Ijaz Gilani, head of Gallup Pakistan, argues that it would be a “very serious miscalculation” to judge society’s religiosity by the showing of Islamist parties at election time. Pakistan has a first-past-the-post system, so people vote for one of the mainstream parties that have the best chance of coming to power. It means that both the PPP and, especially, the other main party, the Pakistan Muslim League (N), led by Nawaz Sharif, have a bank of religious-minded voters whom they must be careful not to offend.

Pakistan’s public culture is riddled with hardline views, from the school curriculum to the nightly political talk shows. Meanwhile, as Mr Taseer himself never failed to point out, the state gives succour to violent, extremist organisations. No serious attempt is made to rein in the interpretation of Islam promoted by the military establishment since the 1980s, which puts jihad at the core. Repeated calls for the Punjab governor to be killed were made from mosque pulpits across Pakistan, yet such hate speech goes unpunished.

Now the PPP is desperately seeking an alternative coalition partner. In part, the MQM walked out in opposition to a planned hike in the oil price. Reforms promised under an IMF programme are now jeopardised.

The risk is that the divided opposition will get together to oust the government and force fresh elections. The opposition leader, Mr Sharif, holds the cards: any no-confidence motion in parliament would need his backing to succeed. Mr Sharif himself seems unsure whether to go for power. He fears this would play into the hands of the army, which historically has worked to undermine both politicians and democracy itself. So the government could limp on for months, with two years of its five-year term still to go.

As for the army, it appears unwilling to seize power itself, as it has repeatedly done in the past. With Pakistan’s myriad economic and political problems, and the urgent need to focus military resources on the Islamist insurgency, the prospect of power looks unappealing. The present situation suits the military. It controls security and foreign policy, its budget is protected and American military aid is flowing, whereas the government is blamed for all the country’s ills. It would be foolish to rule out a coup, but just now the generals seem hesitant to take responsibility for a place that has embraced Mr Taseer’s assassination with such relish.

from PRINT EDITION | Asia

how manny innocents have been killed by liberals(america , nato etc), we are tagged as extremists but what factors are forcing us for that.
actually we only blame mullas for evils but avoid raising fingers towards liberals.
why we name PAKISTAN as ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF PAKISTAN when her president( musharaf) says that he wakes at 8 in morning and start day with music he didn,t mentioned prayer in his day routine during whole interview. these thing hurts common PAKISTANISE and provide fannaticts with reasons to raise fingures against them.
actually none of us practices true spirit of ISLAM, especially our ruling class that want to be more western then even westerns. recent wikileakes showdown have added more hate towards our leadership.
my point is why these things happen what forced MR qadri to go upto such extreme....... certainly mr taseer crossed some limits too

I consider myself a moderate muslim, having seen the 'world' , studied in UK , Lived in Europe , Studied books from the multi-million pound Learning Resource centre of University of Hertfordshire all the way to the small cabinet 'library' of my local masjid . The 'murder' is wrong however i am willing to give some benefit of 'doubt' here to the killer .
That elite force guard was deployed with ST atleast 5 times before , ST may have said something (not covered by any camera ) which the guard was a witness to and thus confirmed to him that TS was a blasphemar.

None of those libraries taught you that motivated conjecture is not an argument?

Well, check out the other Pakistani defence forum which is formed of majority of Pakistani members and you will see each and every person there openly supports the crime, and most do not even realize it was a "crime".

what about babri maosqie demolition wasn,t that a crime and killing if muslims in gugratand even now what haapend when sharukh khan just expressed some views against bal thakure. you people are more but always ready to raise fingures against us.

my point is why these things happen what forced MR qadri to go upto such extreme....... certainly mr taseer crossed some limits too

right there, you still have a soft corner for the murderer, For goodness sake people why do we need to justify the murder are we so much blinded by the religious bigotry that we even lack guts to condemn murder & come up with lame reasons to justify it :rolleyes:

what about babri maosqie demolition wasn,t that a crime and killing if muslims in gugratand even now what haapend when sharukh khan just expressed some views against bal thakure. you people are more but always ready to raise fingures against us.
Irrelevant to the issue at hand.The enemies will always try to find our weak points and attack our nation but there is no need of enemy when we have millions of right wing traitors within who are hell bent on destroying the country.

Back
Top Bottom