What's new

Landmine Blast Kills 9 In Turkey

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Landmine Blast Kills 9 In Turkey

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey, Sept 16, 2010 (AFP) - A landmine blamed on Kurdish rebels blew up a minibus in southeast Turkey Thursday, killing nine people in one of the bloodiest attacks on civilians in recent years.

The blast struck at a delicate moment for Ankara when it is under pressure to reach out to the rebels and cajole them into extending a truce that expires next week.

The device, detonated by remote control, hit the minibus, carrying Kurdish villagers, near Gecitli, a remote village in Hakkari province near the Iraqi border, officials said.
Four people were wounded, among them a 15-month-old baby girl.

Hakkari's deputy governor Davut Sinanoglu revised the death toll from 10 to nine, saying one victim had been counted twice as the bodies were badly mutilated, Anatolia news agency reported.

Television footage showed the red minibus, reduced to a charred tangle of metal, lying on a road snaking among barren hills as a military helicopter landed and villagers converged at the scene.

Officials pointed an accusing finger at the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has led a bloody 26-year campaign for self-rule in the mainly Kurdish southeast and is listed as a terrorist group by Ankara.

"We condemn those terrorists... Such incidents will not deter us," Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in Istanbul. "Terror undoubtedly makes us pay a price but this... will not be left unanswered."

The rebels however denied responsibility, charging that renegade groups within the security forces sought to bully the population of the region, a PKK stronghold.

"This outrageous attack by... groups bound to the Turkish state is a move to punish and supress the (Kurdish) people's will for freedom," said a PKK statement, carried by the Kurdish Firat news agency.

Two backpacks containing a detonator as well as two Russian-made anti-tank mines and plastic explosives were found near the site of the blast, the Hakkari governor's office said in a statement carried by Anatolia.

The PKK had announced a truce from August 13 to September 20, a period that covered the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and a September 12 referendum on constitutional changes.

Turkey's main Kurdish party, the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP), has urged Ankara to seek dialogue with the PKK for a peaceful solution of the 26-year conflict.

The BDP, which is close to the rebels, also condemned Thursday's attack as a "provocation" by rogue security elements to undermine peace efforts.

Its chairman, Selahattin Demirtas, said the blast led to a cancellation of a meeting between BDP leaders and senior ministers that had been scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Kurdish civilians in the past have been the victims of both security forces acting outside the law and the rebels themselves.

In January 2008, a PKK car bomb intended at a military bus killed six people, among them five teenagers on their way to school, in downtown Diyarbakir, the largest city of the southeast.

If confirmed as a work of the rebels, the blast would be the bloodiest PKK attack on civilians since July 2008 when two near-simultaneous bomb explosions claimed 17 lives in a residential area in Istanbul.

In remarks to the Spanish daily El Mundo last week, senior PKK commander Murat Karayilan warned that full-scale fighting could resume if Ankara continued its "attacks and detentions of Kurds".

The rebels, he said, would lay down arms if Turkey granted the Kurds regional autonomy similar to that in Spain.

Ankara last year announced a plan to boost Kurdish freedoms in a bid to pressure the PKK into abandoning arms.

But it has ruled out any steps that would jeopardise Turkey's territorial unity and rejected dialogue with the PKK.

The plan has since faltered amid increasing public anger over a series of deadly PKK attacks against security forces since last year.

The PKK took up arms in 1984, sparking a conflict that has claimed around 45,000 lives.

Again, they are called "Kurdish Rebels" in the article even after killing 9 innocent civilians. Also a 15 month old baby was badly injured, but survived. Good job world media. Props to you.

I read the comments on yahoo.com and it just disgusted me. Israelis, Armenians, Kurds and even Americans dominated the comments section and saying things like "They deserve it". "this is what you get for messing with Israel". bla bla bla... Are you f'ing kidding me? I got no words for you.

Last edited:
RIP to the dead. Hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and brought to justice.

Again, they are called "Kurdish Rebels" in the article even after killing 9 innocent civilians. Also a 15 month old baby was badly injured, but survived. Good job world media. Props to you.

I read the comments on yahoo.com and it just disgusted me. Israelis, Armenians, Kurds and even Americans dominated the comments section and saying things like "They deserve it". "this is what you get for messing with Israel". bla bla bla... Are you f'ing kidding me? I got no words for you.
Landmine kills 10 aboard minibus in Turkey - Yahoo! News

I dont see any "dont mess with Israel" comment and I dont understand how u found the nationality of the posters. Anyway sick and stupid people exist everywhere.

RIP to the killed, fast recovery to the injured, speedy and painful death to perpetrators and their leaders.

Turkey does not need to listen to anyone.Turkey should bomb the heck of PKK Areas in Iraq and Turkey.Launch a F16 loaded with bomb after every few hours.Bomb the crap out of these people.

Last edited:
Landmine kills 10 aboard minibus in Turkey - Yahoo! News

I dont see any "dont mess with Israel" comment and I dont understand how u found the nationality of the posters. Anyway sick and stupid people exist everywhere.

RIP to the killed, fast recovery to the injured, speedy and painful death to perpetrators and their leaders.

there were man. believe me. the whole page was full of those comments. It was sickening.

Turkey does not lead to listen to anyone.Turkey should bomb the heck of PKK Areas in Iraq and Turkey.Launch a F16 loaded with bomb after every few hours.Bomb the crap out of these people.

Operations are going on as we speak in turkey by the Iraqi border. Tunceli is under quarantine and commandos have been airlifted to the area.

there were man. believe me. the whole page was full of those comments. It was sickening.
How come you are so surprised? Americans and Israelis and Europeans hate Turks and Muslims and everyone else who supports the oppressed people in Palestine and elsewhere. Anyone who opposes western (and Zionist) state terror and massacres is considered as an enemy or "terrorist" by most westerners. It baffles me that you were so suprised by their hateful comments. I'd rather be surprised to see a positive comment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom