What's new

Lahore 'attackers identified'

It is a pity that no matter how dastardly the act we have posters on this forum who refuse to accept that Pakistan is on the brink of collapse and that resposibility lies with ourselves. Bigoted policies of the Zia era continue to haunt us. I am copying a very good post from Irafan Hussein published in the Dawn of today. I sincerely hope that Talibam lovers of this forum will get sanity into their thinking and start loving PAKISTAN instead of hankering after an imagined Islamic utopian state which never existed beyond the first 30 years of the Kilafat Rashidah.

Thoughts from the brink By Irfan Husain
Saturday, 07 Mar, 2009 | 09:32 AM PST |

Taliban and Al Queda are known "to fight in the name of religion". This attack was aginst Sri Lanka and cricket. Taliban and Al Queda have no problems with either Sri Lanka or cricket, infact when Taliban ruled Afghanistan they used to encourage boys to play cricket.

I have to agree with Imran Khan in this one there was a foreign hand involved in this one trying to tarnish the image of Pakistan, weaken the country, and trying to isolate Pakistan.

as Gen. Musharraf once said "hum nay jihad ka theka liya howa hai" - get real friend! - are we the only ones left to be "used and abused" - for what!

Yes Pakistan has to look for its own best interst first and we have to think hard and figure out where did these Lahore attackers get all the sophisticated weapons from. You cant get these weapons from some cave in Afghanistan or FATA. There is a foreign involvement in this one.

Apparently lot of the members does not trust the investigation team. As someone had raised it earlier also, it will be very interesting to know who, the different member(s) think, should carry out the investigation for a somewhat trustable result.

I have given some choices below. All are free to suggest anything new.

• A team comprising of Omar1984, Icecold, Luftwaffe and headed by Zaid Hamid.
    (We all know what the report will look like)

• What the fcuk are you talking about when you already know what the report will look like. A piece of advice stop posting crap if you have nothing constructive to add. I am entitled to my opinion as to you are to yours however the kind of $hit that you just posted above does not add one bit to the debate going on. Kindly refrain from getting personal, because you wont like me when i get personal.

Yes Pakistan has to look for its own best interst first and we have to think hard and figure out where did these Lahore attackers get all the sophisticated weapons from. You cant get these weapons from some cave in Afghanistan or FATA. There is a foreign involvement in this one.

do u want a AK-47 - contact me friend! - a GPS device, a grenade - contact me

Last edited:
INSIGHT: An enemy is an enemy —Ejaz Haider

The attack on the Sri Lankan team was not about Afghanistan. It was an attack on Pakistan, what the Pakistani state stands for, and if I say so, what we, as Pakistanis, stand for — or should

BRUSSLES/BERLIN: Speaking at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers here March 5, United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Pakistan is facing a serious internal security threat and NATO foreign ministers had reached a broad agreement on the salient features of a strategic review for Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Clinton also called for a ministerial-level conference on Afghanistan on March 31, in collaboration with the United Nations, ahead of the April summit of NATO leaders in Strasbourg. Until now, the venue of the Afghanistan conference has not been decided but officials from Afghanistan and Pakistan will be invited to the moot along with key international institutions, donors and regional and strategic nations.

Meanwhile, away from Brussels, in Kabul, the US ambassador to Afghanistan, Christopher Dell, noted the same day that “From where I sit [Pakistan] sure looks like it’s going to be a bigger problem. It has certainly made radical Islam a part of its political life, and it now seems to be a deeply ingrained element of its political culture. It makes things there very hard.”

Dell also alleged that infiltration across the frontier from Pakistan’s tribal areas had increased, “possibly as a result of ceasefire deals agreed by Taliban and the Pakistani government”.

As I write this from Berlin March 6, having participated in a Pakistan-specific programme on Deutsche Welle TV this morning, the feeling that there is growing consensus in the outside world on two things hits me with great force: Pakistan is slipping into anarchy; and Afghanistan cannot be stabilised without changing Pakistan’s direction.

Much as one argues, as I have been trying to since I travelled to Europe last month, that Pakistan is very different from Afghanistan at all levels, no one is prepared to buy that argument. Even those who understand the nuances and are fairly empathetic point to how the periphery is folding up towards the centre. They see no determined response from the state to the growing challenge.

They are not entirely wrong. It does not matter whether the state is unwilling or unable to face the challenge. The Lahore attack was completely avoidable. It was a massive security failure: the motorcade route could have been changed every day; the route could have been secured on the ground (and possibly from the air) ahead of the motorcade; a decoy convoy could have been used; etc.

None of this requires high technology; merely common sense and a degree of commitment. Security in such circumstances, where terrorist attacks are an existential threat, should be obviously proportional to what is at stake.

Given how desperate we have been to get teams to come and play in Pakistan, the stakes were very high. Our image and credibility were at stake, as was the future of the game all of us love. Instead of thinking that something like this could not happen, the authorities should have worked on the premise that this could and will happen.

The response, instead, was pathetic, utterly unprofessional and delinquent. The price: very high.

This is just one example.

Terrorism is now a reality. While in many cases it is difficult to draw the line between insurgency and terrorism, in most cases in Pakistan, the issue has been clear. Also real and unambiguous is the fact that those fighting the state will stop at nothing; they are not just reactive, they are proactive.

To say that there may be no danger because Pakistanis have never voted for Islamist parties misses the point completely. These people are not in the business of contesting elections or accepting living and functioning under a democratic overhang. They are inimical to the very idea of democracy and rights.

So, how should the state treat them? Are they any different from an external enemy? No. An enemy is an enemy. The idea of an external enemy presupposes internal stability: one political grouping of people against another. We now have an internal enemy that believes in something radically different from what went into the making of this country.

It needs to be fought and the state has to dispose in this contest whatever it has at its disposal.

This is what worries the West, the lack of will on the part of the state to understand the nature of the threat and the people of Pakistan, at least the majority, to appreciate the stakes.

It is not enough to point to the current situation as begotten of what is happening in Afghanistan. The bombing of Rahman Baba’s mausoleum had nothing to do with Afghanistan but everything to do with the expression of a regressive ideology. Neither is it enough to say that if Afghanistan had not happened, these people would not have risen against the Pakistani state. They gestated in the womb of this state and they challenged the state’s writ much before Afghanistan happened. They killed the Shia, they deprived women of their social and political space, and they attacked the functionaries of the state. All this was ignored by the state because it was using them elsewhere.

They would have challenged the state at the point where the state’s objectives ran contrary to their agenda. Or they would have surreptitiously conquered the state if an upheaval had not occurred.

If the majority of Pakistanis do not accept this threat, they should be prepared to live a different kind of life.

The issue about direction of causality then takes a whole new dimension. Afghanistan, never really a modern state, lies below the line that separates the modern from the medieval. Pakistan, even now, doesn’t. What they have to fully conquer, therefore, is Pakistan. If and when they do it, their medievalism will find, and wed itself to, the technological manifestation of modernity in Pakistan. It doesn’t need saying what that combination can do.

This is not to say that the international community has to ignore Afghanistan and focus on Pakistan. Stabilising Afghanistan is crucial, and so far the international community has not covered itself in glory on that count. My point is to focus, as a Pakistani, on what is at stake here and what needs to be done in the streets of Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi.

The attack on the Sri Lankan team was not about Afghanistan. It was an attack on Pakistan, what the Pakistani state stands for, and if I say so, what we, as Pakistanis, stand for — or should.

That much at least we should be clear about. The situation is messy; what makes it worse is confusion about who the enemy is and where he resides.

Ejaz Haider is Op-Ed Editor of Daily Times and Consulting Editor of The Friday Times. He can be reached at sapper@dailytimes.com.pk

It is a pity that no matter how dastardly the act we have posters on this forum who refuse to accept that Pakistan is on the brink of collapse and that resposibility lies with ourselves. Bigoted policies of the Zia era continue to haunt us. I am copying a very good post from Irafan Hussein published in the Dawn of today. I sincerely hope that Talibam lovers of this forum will get sanity into their thinking and start loving PAKISTAN instead of hankering after an imagined Islamic utopian state which never existed beyond the first 30 years of the Kilafat Rashidah.

With all due respect sir may i add that people like you who see all the fault within and to them India is just like a saint which could never ever think of doing any damage to Pakistan and its existence or its interests, are not doing any good either to Pakistan. You may want to call us a taliban lover and what not, may i remind you again of who caused us more(taliban or India)? Moreover if indeed like you portray India being such a saint all the time with producing articles over and over, then why do we need an army of over 600000 men backed by an airforce and a navy and most notably nuclear assets. Somewhere i think there are still sane heads left in Pakistan otherwise if it would have been for people like you, then may i add with all due respect, that taliban threat is much smaller compared to what the consequences of negligence and ignorance be.:tsk:
Sorry if post may offend you, but something i had to say, because you keep accusing us of being taliban lover, its about time you see yourself in the mirror first because you are defending a country that resulted in the loss of an entire wing. I hope that wasn't before your time.

Regards

IceCold

What the fcuk are you talking about when you already know what the report will look like. A piece of advice stop posting crap if you have nothing constructive to add. I am entitled to my opinion as to you are to yours however the kind of that you just posted above does not add one bit to the debate going on. Kindly refrain from getting personal, because you wont like me when i get personal.

You are welcome to get as personal as you can be. It will only show ur true personality. Your attitude & languages above have already peeled of the mask of decency you were wearing. Don't worry, no matter what, I will never lower myself to your level by either getting personal or using ****** languages. You are most welcome to say anything you like. This is a public forum and u can bellow anything you want till the moderators think you are not out of the line.

However, I do apologize, if my list was a little too personal for your test. It was meant to be humorous only, since you guys had already made up your mind as far as probe results go.

Regards.

Indian Army-Issued Weapons used in Lahore Attacks?

Written by Pakistan News :: Pakistan Daily

Thursday, 05 March 2009 04:42

Sources have informed PKKH that weapons recovered in the aftermath of the Lahore attacks on Sri Lankan cricketers include a Russian made RPG-22, a one-shot disposable anti-tank rocket launcher and an 84 mm Carl-Gustaf Recoilless Rifle Launchers.
Both these weapons are standard Indian Army issuance.

The RPGs used by Afghan militants is the soviet era RPG-7 - the most widely distributed and used RPG in the world.

Indian Army-Issued Weapons used in Lahore Attacks? | Pakistan Daily

Probe narrows in Pakistan

Published: March 7,2009

Probe narrows in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Police suspect local militants were likely responsible for Tuesday’s assault that targeted Sri Lanka’s cricket team and security detail, an investigator said Friday on condition of anonymity. The attack in Lahore killed six police and a driver. Salahuddin Niazi, the officer in charge of the probe, refused to confirm or deny that, saying only police were "on the right track.” Many analysts have suspected the Pakistani group Lashkar-e-Taiba — or an offshoot — carried out the ambush.

With all due respect sir may i add that people like you who see all the fault within and to them India is just like a saint which could never ever think of doing any damage to Pakistan and its existence or its interests, are not doing any good either to Pakistan. You may want to call us a taliban lover and what not, may i remind you again of who caused us more(taliban or India)? Moreover if indeed like you portray India being such a saint all the time with producing articles over and over, then why do we need an army of over 600000 men backed by an airforce and a navy and most notably nuclear assets. Somewhere i think there are still sane heads left in Pakistan otherwise if it would have been for people like you, then may i add with all due respect, that taliban threat is much smaller compared to what the consequences of negligence and ignorance be.:tsk:
Sorry if post may offend you, but something i had to say, because you keep accusing us of being taliban lover, its about time you see yourself in the mirror first because you are defending a country that resulted in the loss of an entire wing. I hope that wasn't before your time.

Regards

IceCold

come on ice, you know niaz is not saying that - be fair!:enjoy:

Indian Army-Issued Weapons used in Lahore Attacks?

Written by Pakistan News :: Pakistan Daily

Thursday, 05 March 2009 04:42

Sources have informed PKKH that weapons recovered in the aftermath of the Lahore attacks on Sri Lankan cricketers include a Russian made RPG-22, a one-shot disposable anti-tank rocket launcher and an 84 mm Carl-Gustaf Recoilless Rifle Launchers.
Both these weapons are standard Indian Army issuance.

The RPGs used by Afghan militants is the soviet era RPG-7 - the most widely distributed and used RPG in the world.

Indian Army-Issued Weapons used in Lahore Attacks? | Pakistan Daily

pakistan daily - the best investigative paper in the country!:rofl:

Lashkar-e-Taiba was supported by Pakistan they are fighting Indian occupation of Kashmir. What does Lashkar have anything to do with Sri Lanka or cricket?

Back
Top Bottom