What's new

Kuwaiti parliament approves Typhoon procurement

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Kuwait has approved the procurement of Eurofighter Typhoon combat aircraft that was announced in September 2015, the Reuters news agency reported on 1 March.

The national parliament has passed a draft law enabling the advance payment of KWD150 million (USD499 million) for the Typhoons, with the remainder of the USD8.7 billion to be paid later.

Under the deal, 22 single-seat and six twin-seat aircraft will be delivered to Kuwait from Finmeccanica's assembly line at Caselle, Italy, from 2019. These Tranche 3 aircraft will be equipped with an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, and Kuwait also has the option for the MBDA Storm Shadow cruise missile and MBDA Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile.

The deal to procure 28 Typhoons is part of a wider effort by the Kuwaiti Air Force (al-Quwwat al-Jawwiya al-Kuwaitiya: KAF) to augment and eventually replace the 39 Boeing F/A-18C/D Hornet fighters it currently fields that were procured from the United States in the early 1990s. In January KAF commander Major General Abdullah al-Foudari confirmed that a number of Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets (reported by Reuters to be 28) will also be purchased to serve alongside the Typhoons.

Kuwait is the third Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) export customer for the Typhoon after Saudi Arabia and Oman. Deliveries of the 72 aircraft for Saudi Arabia are continuing out of BAE Systems' Warton facility in the United Kingdom, while the company has just begun assembly of the first of the 12 jets ordered by Oman. The Kuwaiti order brings to 599 the number of Typhoons that have been committed to (out of an orderbook of 719), 467 of which have so far been delivered to Austria, Germany, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact
Kuwaiti parliament approves Typhoon procurement | IHS Jane's 360

lolol...Arabs subsidizing European weapon companies!

WOW!

Who stops Arab countries from investing $10 billion in their local industry...ToT infrastructure..in house manufacturing..or any other developing in terms of industrial and scientific capabilities.

Kuwaiti pilots in Eurofighters vs Indian pilots in Mig-29SMTs...I'll pick Indian pilots to shoot down Eurofighters anyday!!!

Last edited:
lolol...Arabs subsidizing European weapon companies!

WOW!

Who stops Arab countries from investing $10 billion in their local industry...ToT infrastructure..in house manufacturing..or any other developing in terms of industrial and scientific capabilities.

Kuwaiti pilots in Eurofighters vs Indian pilots in Mig-29SMTs...I'll pick Indian pilots to shoot down Eurofighters anyday!!!

LMAO...comingcoming from a Pakistani??:rofl:
Mate your country imports virtually EVERYTHING, and depends on foreign powers for almost all its military needs. If the U.S, U.K,FRANCE AND CHINA was to stop all aid, supplies to Pakistan then you wont even have a military. :lol:.

Just because pakistan is a poor country and doesnt have the amount of money gulf countries have shouldnt mean you should be bitter about how they spend their cash. :D

Great news

INDEED......Kuwait made a good choice. Our Typhoons are the best pre-fith generation fighter jet out there. Only the rafale can compete.
Here is looking forward to the Saudi close ally Bahraini order . :cheers:

Typhoon seems to be extending its lead over the Rafale @Blue Marlin , @Taygibay , @Vauban:p:

Congratulations to Kuwait and the Assorted Europeans!

EFT are a great tactical choice for air superiority.

@Taygibay there seems to be a consensus that Rafales are better in ground attack role and to me it seems Saudis and Kuwaitis should have a top of the line multi-role aircraft with a forte in ground attack missions as their primary choice and Rafales fit this profile. Any reason you can think of regarding why they preferred EFT?

Only likely modern air power they supposedly face is Israel but things are on the mend there. Far greater threat is from ISIS and Shia proxies.

Congratulations to Kuwait and the Assorted Europeans!

EFT are a great tactical choice for air superiority.

@Taygibay there seems to be a consensus that Rafales are better in ground attack role and to me it seems Saudis and Kuwaitis should have a top of the line multi-role aircraft with a forte in ground attack missions as their primary choice and Rafales fit this profile. Any reason you can think of regarding why they preferred EFT?

Only likely modern air power they supposedly face is Israel but things are on the mend there. Far greater threat is from ISIS and Shia proxies.

Political influence(apart from technological considerations) matters alot as well. :D

LMAO...comingcoming from a Pakistani??:rofl:
Mate your country imports virtually EVERYTHING, and depends on foreign powers for almost all its military needs. If the U.S, U.K,FRANCE AND CHINA was to stop all aid, supplies to Pakistan then you wont even have a military. :lol:.

Just because pakistan is a poor country and doesnt have the amount of money gulf countries have shouldnt mean you should be bitter about how they spend their cash. :D

INDEED......Kuwait made a good choice. Our Typhoons are the best pre-fith generation fighter jet out there. Only the rafale can compete.
Here is looking forward to the Saudi close ally Bahraini order . :cheers:

Typhoon seems to be extending its lead over the Rafale @Blue Marlin , @Taygibay , @Vauban:p:
@Taygibay @Vauban has india ordered the rafale yet?
boeing wont be too happy as they were to order the f18 same with qatar and the f15

Nope.
But it will be signed,no matter when!! :guns:
hehe if they dont sign for them before the 31st of this month i will assume they are not interested [taking too long]
on a side note i have been told they will get the jets beyond 2020
i love this color scheme
y68MnLf.jpg

Gar02.jpg

then you have not been on the typhoon thread i made.
so i would assume you have not seen it like this as well then
images
images

pure-power-der-tiger-eurofighter-der-bavarian-tigers-aus-neuburg-mit-einem-seiner-spektakulären-starts.png

I have seen these ones. Not the one you posted earlier though. :tup:

How likely is Bahrain to order Tuphoons by the way? Any news update on that one?

Back
Top Bottom