What's new

Korea wins Math Olympiad

International Physics Olympiads (Statistics up to 2009 (36th competition))

http://ipho.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/statictics.pdf

Cummulative results from 27th to 36th event

#1 China 96.1%
#2 Russia 84.5%
#3 Iran 81.5%
#4 Taiwan 74.5%
#5 USA 73.9%
#6 India 69.4%
#7 S korea 68.5%
#8 Hungary 65%
#9 Ukraine 60%
#10 Romania 57.5%

Cummulative results from 1st to 36th event:

#1 China 86.3%
#2 Russia 80.0%
#3 India 69.4%
#4 Taiwan 66.7%
#5 Iran 62.4%
#6 USA 60.3%
#7 S korea 58.9%
#8 Ukraine 57.9%
#9 Hungary 55.9%
#10 Germany 54.2%

But we lag behind in Applied Sciences....hope this gap will reduce soon....

Fields Medal is the Nobel Prize of Mathematics!

And how many Fields medals did China won? 0!

These competitions indicate nothing significant on scientific state of particular countries nor does it predict

And how many Fields medals did China won? 0!

These competitions indicate nothing significant on scientific state of particular countries nor does it predict

the matter is if israel (or india) is not on the very top of the list of any of these competitions that doesnt mean they are lack of value! Otherwise no country will participate and compete so rigorously!

Both Terence Tao and Yau Shingtung are ethnic Chinese, Yau was born in China and he received his early education in China.The honour is given to the individual, not to their country. So China shares the honour, of course! We do not have the finance nor facilities to nuture and keep our talents before.

I dont see anyone with a bit of common sense will cast doubt on our abilities to win top academic / scientific honour in the near future.

China rules the Math Olympiads....they can calculate faster with abacus than you can do with a calculator
Try to accept the truth. No country can progress without good Mathematicians.

I dont know, but in my graduate class for discrete maths, chinese students don't perform well.. infact they dont even perform.

Maybe they are good just in raw calculations, but not in application.

I remember I went to Singapore to take part in Inl' math olympiad in 3rd class...good times :)

i think top 10 winner of olympiad are all same its the matter of time and the situation ,the student who control his mind and body better comes first ...........

Iran should be atleast in top 5
congrats to our eastern Brothers. east needs to make it self the great place for science and mathematics.
too long had Persian,Chinese,Indian contribution to science and maths been stolen and ignored.
:cheers:

I dont know, but in my graduate class for discrete maths, chinese students don't perform well.. infact they dont even perform.

Check patent application record in US please. Ethnic Chinese have highest number per capita.

I dont know which school that you go to. what your description about the Chinese performance of applied math is BS. Check out top math / engineering schools or science faculties, we have a visible presence there! Many of these disciplines require applied math!

You guys managed to finish on a lower place than Saudi-Arabia. :lol:

My point exactly, these competitions don't reflect on nation technological scientific stance, look where Saudia and where Israel in regard of technology.
Switzerland-52
Sweeden-71

are more technologically/scientifically advanced that Israel yet much behind Israel, Israel shares 31 place with Germany yet another technologically superior country.

So what doest it mean that teams from counties such as:

Japan-17
Netherlands-22
United Kingdom-22
Germany-31
Israel-31
France-38
Switzerland-52
Finland-65
Sweeden-71
Irland-78

are behind countries in this competition such as:

Russia-4
Thiland-5
Iran-8
Vietnam-9
Romania-10
India-11
North Korea-12
Turkey-12
Serbia-15
Peru-16

Doesn't tell much, nor do i see a trend.

Back
Top Bottom