What's new

Korea wins Math Olympiad

look, as per the scores, IIMA/ IIMB of India have average of 770, 780 out of 800. in top US's universities, its close to 700, which is high mainly because of overseas students who get admission there due to very high marks, raising overall scores above 700 for the top universities of US. and in case of top Chinese management colleges, the scores are close to, 500 to 600 out of 800. hence, it depends, somewhere GMAT is easier and somewhere hard.......:coffee:

yes GRE for engineering also have similar type of problems but it keeps few physics/engineering related problems also. and one exam for medicines, I dont know about it........

and look, if you conduct test of TOEFL/IELTS in US/UK/Australia type english speaking countries also, its hard for them also to score above 70% in these exams. vocabulary is also a test, isn't it?

anyway, look like you people are struggling with these test nowdays...... how many attampts you people have taken on these tests till now????

the more you write the bigger of your trouble to grasp the main point about Olympiad Math vs GMAT Math. We are not doing well on tests of English in general. I am not in any single word negating that.

TOEFL English is a lower level of proficiency test than GMAT. The public test for the medical profession in USA is MCAT.

Your writing style conforms to a pattern of members on PDF!

Money is a big motivator ... unless their is direct monetary reward (from test organizer or from the national govt), or for example automatic admission to IIT, or future placement.. the math olympiad is as attractive and sports olympiad to a normal person.

Put a "Kaun Banega Crorepati" on the maths olympiad and then see how droves of people start considering it as something worth prusuing.

Winning olympiads for "national pride" has no buyers in many places.

Jews (people) is the best in the world in scientific, it 's related to Nobel prices owners, but ranking of Israel isn't belong to top countries. I don't know why ?:undecided:

Jews (people) is the best in the world in scientific, it 's related to Nobel prices owners, but ranking of Israel isn't belong to top countries. I don't know why ?:undecided:

First of all Jews aren't the best in science, it is ludicrous to state that, why would Jews have the upper hand? Jews are average.

Secondly, these competitions doesn't reflect national scientific output, because, well they just dont, these competitions are among high schoolers teams which were picked by subjective methodology of each country pool, so i see these kind of competitions as competition between methodologies of building a team rather than anything else.

If you want to compare national scientific output/strength then you have:

http://www.google.co.il/url?sa=t&rc...zem8Bg&usg=AFQjCNHvuY3pu0e5ywwzIutDs6JlJ6jopg

http://www.globalinnovationindex.org/gii/main/fullreport/files/Global Innovation Index 2012.pdf

You clearly can see that majority of teams which came in the first 20 in this math Olympiad are lacking way behind in U21 and global innovation index countries which lack behind in math Olympiad, how should one interpret this data?

I interpret this as these countries are good at building good teams and nothing more, from logistics to fundings.

Back
Top Bottom