What's new

Kindergarten boy ‘gang-raped’ by principal, others

more rapes happen in u.k then back home
i dont think so..... there is massive underreporting or crimes like rape in south asia including pakistan.....
its underreported in uk too but not to that extent...

logo.gif

Making Outrage Matter

By Saroop Ijaz Published: September 21, 2013

607468-saroopijazNewNew-1379782116-377-640x480.JPG

The writer is a lawyer and partner at Ijaz and Ijaz Co in Lahore saroop.ijaz@ tribune.com.pk

It takes a lot to shock us. This is, perhaps, a natural consequence of living in a brutal and brutalised society. Yet, every so often there is evil, not merely a crime, not an atrocity, but pure unadulterated evil which stares us in the face. The gang rape of a five-year-old child is that undiluted evil. After, every high profile case of rape, there are apologists, who insinuate that maybe the victim should have been more careful, covered herself a little more, been less social. Yet, how do you make an excuse for the gang rape of a five-year-old. You don’t.

Everybody responds with outrage. “The perpetrators cannot be humans”, “It is a disease” etc. In short, that this is an abomination, something so out of the ordinary that stunned shock is all that we can muster in response. As if it was the first child that was gang raped in this country. As if we do not know of the perpetrators. The standard headline in the Urdu paper and television news bulletin is always “Na zameen phatti, na asmaan gira” (Neither the earth imploded nor the sky fell). As if, it was for the cosmos to respond. As if, all we can offer is passive outrage.

There can arguably be some debate on whether news outlets should name the rape victims or not; here there is none. Horrific tragedy sells, mikes shoved in the face of the mother of the victim, even the victim herself. Intrusive and repulsive questions are asked on air. PEMRA is toothless, but the gallant warriors of the free media decided to maintain silence on the conduct of their colleagues and their own organisations. There are old stories about Fleet Street reporters on Foreign Desks who would stumble upon scenes of carnage and inquire, “Anyone here who has been raped and speaks English”. The papers after the Lahore gang rape have woken up to the idea that rapes (even better if gang rapes) need not be tucked in a three line story in the inner page. In the coming few days, we might see rape stories more prominently featured in newspapers and television programmes, till the next controversy strikes. Then we move on. The next controversy is always around the corner. I am not in any way qualified to talk about rape with any authority however, the “rapists are not from us”, and “they are not human” trope is identical to “these people blowing innocent people up cannot be Muslims”. Syed Munawar Hasan is very human, very Muslim and in addition also the chief of Jamaat-i-Islami. He believes that rape should not be reported because it strikes at the moral fabric of society. Bear in mind, it is the ‘reporting’ of it and not rape itself that is irksome.

The members of Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) are fine specimens of mortality and piety. They believe that DNA evidence should not be admissible as primary evidence in rape cases; we are told that they are willing to reconsider now. However, they believe that the Women Protection Bill 2006 is un-Islamic and unnecessary, since of course women are sufficiently protected here. On a separate note, the august body also feels that old people homes are a heathen practice.

The flip ideological side of the Jamaat-i-Islami chief (at least, in superficial terms) is the patron saint of enlightened moderation; General (r) Pervez Musharraf who said that by talking internationally about her rape, Mukhtaran Mai was “washing dirty linen in public”. Senator Israrullah Zehri, while commenting on women being buried alive observed that it was a part of his culture. Rape, misogyny and chauvinism seem to transcend ideological barriers in Pakistan; it is where the polar opposites converge. Satire (or what passes in its name) in primetime television is cheap shots at all successful women in public life.

The establishment of this country felt doubly threatened by Shaheed Benazir Bhutto; firstly she was braver than all of them combined and she was a woman. They never forgave her. They are no mood to forgive Ms Asma Jahangir either. Talking about Malala or Aasia Bibi brings the worst in us.

Outrage is good; it can lead to a movement, at least, an organised response. The shameful series of incidents in India and the response to them illustrate some of this.

However, outrage is a limited resource. The roots of misogyny are religious, cultural and institutional. ]The courageous women activists have fought the good fight for years; however, without the consistent support of most of us, whose involvement is periodic and short-lived outrage. [/COLORArticle 17 of the Qanun-e-Shahadat (Evidence) Order 1984 stipulates that in certain financial transactions the testimony of two women is equal to one man. The Hudood ordinance is notorious enough. The Qisas and Diyat laws brought to light by the Shahzeb Khan case haunt the victims of honour killings daily, where the killer, the killed and the heirs are all from one family.

The fight has to be assailing these laws; laws do reflect society’s prejudices but also shape them. One example is the practice of Sati and how the British did not wait for the requisite societal support to abolish it. The prohibition on Sati gradually decreased the social acceptability of it (while being aware that a colonial state has the leverage to take unpopular decisions, the precedent and the historical process still has some value). Burning women or killing them is nobody’s culture and if it is, the state has a responsibility to eradicate it.

Asking for public executions of the perpetrators is the gut reaction; it is also the easy reaction. These laws and practices will have to be fought one by one, specifically and consistently. We are miles away from abolishing them. Yet, let us at the very least acknowledge that these rapes and killings are done by fellow countrymen, completely human, living in our culture which enables this. Syed Munawar Hasan can and should be boycotted by all decent people till he apologises. Media houses can be compelled to change their policy by a critical mass shunning the rape apologists, chauvinists and sensationalists; because at the end they do care about ratings and profits. If we are finally outraged; let it not go to waste.

Post Script: Writing about rape, misogyny in Pakistan one is already aware of the helplessness, the repetition of clichés and the futility. Yet, reading a recent news report of five sisters attempting suicide (four of them dead) by jumping in a canal because their father could not afford the dowry to get them married, the spirit sinks along with the four women. If this judgment on the state, on us as a people does not really shock every fiber anymore, the battle may already have been lost.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 22nd, 2013.
Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.

Hmp. The proud angry young Pakistanis here all become silent when faced with the challenge of opposing "pure unadulterated evil". I suppose there aren't any really brave men left in Pakistan anymore, are there? It's all, "Blow up the mosques, burn the churches, rape the women, kill the reporters, and blame the victims, Indians, and Jews!"

Two-thirds of complaints to Israel Police for sex crimes were filed by minors
Figures show more than 5,000 sex crimes last year - 10 percent more than in 2011. According to police, only 40 percent of sex crimes are reported, which, they say, is just the tip of the iceberg.
By Yaniv Kubovich | Jun. 21, 2013 | 4:34 AM
Two-thirds of complaints to Israel Police for sex crimes were filed by minors - National Israel News | Haaretz

Hmp.

Two-thirds of complaints to Israel Police for sex crimes were filed by minors
Figures show more than 5,000 sex crimes last year - 10 percent more than in 2011. According to police, only 40 percent of sex crimes are reported, which, they say, is just the tip of the iceberg.
By Yaniv Kubovich | Jun. 21, 2013 | 4:34 AM
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.531138

Hmp.
Two-thirds of the more than 5,000 complaints of sex crimes that came into the police last year were lodged by minors. In all, sex crime complaints rose by 10 percent from the previous year, police figures show.

Although most sexual offenses take place in the victim’s or offender’s home, the figures show people may be sexually assaulted or abused almost anywhere, any time − at work, school, in the IDF, in entertainment spots, on public transportation and on the Internet.

Almost 1,400 of the reports filed with the police were for rape and more than 3,000 others were for molestation. However, about half of the reports for sexual offenses were shelved and only some 2,000 were passed to the State Prosecutor’s Office for indictment.

The police provided the data at the request of the Association of Rape Crisis Centers in Israel.

One out of every five offenses takes place in the victim’s home and about one in 10 takes place in the assailant’s home. In these cases the assailant is known to the victim. In 2012 alone, 1,076 such cases were reported to the police.

One of every five sexual crimes − 1,056 − takes place in the street, usually by an assailant unknown to the victim. Numerous other sexual offenses − 150 in 2012 − take place on public transportation, such as buses and at bus stations.

The association has decided to raise the issue of sex crimes in schools and among minors, says Orit Sulitzeanu, the NGO’s executive director.

She says two thirds − 66 percent − of all the complaints received by the centers in 2012 were made by minors. The association has produced a short film about sex crimes and is promoting public discourse on the issue.

Teen complaints way up

Since 2007 the number of reported sex crimes among teenagers in schools has soared by 45 percent, association statistics show. The 279 reports made during the year consist of 160 offenses committed in elementary schools, 65 in high schools, 36 in kindergartens, 16 in yeshivas and four in universities and colleges.

The most common offense against minors − more than 50 percent of the cases − is forcible molestation. About a quarter − 520 − of the sex crimes against minors are rape.

Police attribute the increased number of cases to the public’s heightened awareness, which leads more people to complain to the police and the rape crisis centers.

Sex crimes can only be exposed or addressed if the victim submits a complaint and agrees to talk about it, police say. However, both the association and police say the complaints are but the tip of the iceberg. According to police estimates, only 40 percent of sex crimes are reported, while association staff cite a far lower figure.

“It’s amazing that 66 percent of the reports we get are about sex crimes committed during childhood. For example, a woman of 25 calls over something that happened to her many years ago, but she is still having trouble coming to terms with it and realizing that she was the victim of a sex crime,” says Sulitzeanu.

“Only very few victims of sex crimes complain. Most of them don’t. We want every social worker, teacher and health professional to undergo training to detect sexual assault victims,” she says.

“The earlier we detect these cases, the better we can treat them. Our aim is to enable parents to identify sexual assault on their own children,” she says.

The Tair Rape Crisis Center holds workshops for schools to raise awareness for sex offenses.

“It’s very hard for children to talk about being sexually assaulted,” says the crisis center’s Yael Rembek.

“Today it’s even easier to commit sexual offenses on the social networks. Children should understand that these acts are crimes for all intents and purposes,” she says.

Two-thirds of complaints to Israel -
And so, by refusing to contest my accusation and preferring diversion instead, us readers can conclude that

YOU AGREE WITH MY STATEMENTS 100%!

Perhaps you haven't met a brave man in your entire life, GDB? A lack of role models could explain things:

So we had a situation where a non-local man in his 30s was going to order all the local respected elders. I was speechless when I found out how meek my elders were before the Taliban.

(As for Israel: save it for the relevant threads.)

Phew! I thought @Areesh posted again!

"What is wrong with this world?" - Almost everything now. :ashamed:

Oh, like this is any better.

I swear, it's like this has become a contest of which country rapes less/more or something.

Anyways, this is a disturbing case. The penalty for rape is death in Pakistan, but unfortunately (and just like in India) victims are either afraid to speak out, or are forced to stay quiet about it because of some sort of sick form of family honor, which means that these cases get thrown out of court.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmp. The proud angry young Pakistanis here all become silent when faced with the challenge of opposing "pure unadulterated evil". I suppose there aren't any really brave men left in Pakistan anymore, are there? It's all, "Blow up the mosques, burn the churches, rape the women, kill the reporters, and blame the victims, Indians, and Jews!"

What the hell are you talking about? No one here is silent about these things, they're outraged.

Why is it that everytime I read your posts that you have to be insulting? Stop trying to politicize this for your own selfishness.

i dont think so..... there is massive underreporting or crimes like rape in south asia including pakistan.....
its underreported in uk too but not to that extent...

There is an inherent flaw to this statement. If these go unreported, how do we know that they're massively done or otherwise?

There is an inherent flaw to this statement. If these go unreported, how do we know that they're massively done or otherwise?
because of culture of blaming the girl is more prevalent in south asia(pressure of society), police generally does not like to take cases if the guy is well connected...which is not so in uk

because of culture of blaming the girl is more prevalent in south asia(pressure of society), police generally does not like to take cases if the guy is well connected...which is not so in uk

Which means that they do get reported, but ignored...again, not seeing the logic here.

The penalty for rape is death in Pakistan, but unfortunately -

Syed Munawar Hasan is very human, very Muslim and in addition also the chief of Jamaat-i-Islami. He believes that rape should not be reported because it strikes at the moral fabric of society. Bear in mind, it is the ‘reporting’ of it and not rape itself that is irksome.

Rape may be against the law in Pakistan but we're not talking about "law" here; the law is gone. We're talking the rule of the jungle, where the weak are expected to surrender the idea of individual rights; they are to submit to the will of the strong and be happy for it. What other meaning can there possibly be in Hasan's assertion that freedom to commit rape in secret is the foundation of Pakistani society?

Which means that they do get reported, but ignored...again, not seeing the logic here.

Both the factors contribute to having smaller number of reported cases... you seriously want me to make the logical connection between people not reporting case and the reasons I stated?
then there is marital rape not being legally/socially acceptable as rape , hence nobody will dare to report it.

Syed Munawar Hasan is very human, very Muslim and in addition also the chief of Jamaat-i-Islami. He believes that rape should not be reported because it strikes at the moral fabric of society. Bear in mind, it is the ‘reporting’ of it and not rape itself that is irksome.

Rape may be against the law in Pakistan but we're not talking about "law" here; the law is gone. We're talking the rule of the jungle, where the weak are expected to surrender the idea of individual rights; they are to submit to the will of the strong and be happy for it. What other meaning can there possibly be in Hasan's assertion that freedom to commit rape in secret is the foundation of Pakistani society?

Yes, way to ignore my entire comment. See, this is why you and I never get along. You ignore everything other people say, and pretend to know what you're talking about.

Both the factors contribute to smaller number of reported cases...

But you just said that they're reported, but ignored by the police because the rapists have connections.

Okay, this is just getting weird now. How do we know that unreported cases are higher in one nation and lower in another, when in reality, we'd need some form of statistics bureau that interviewed the victim, but the only way for them to know these people are victims would be through reported police records or other forms of records, but that would mean that the rapes did get reported......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS KILLING MY BRAIN!!!!

I'm done, you win, I'm done.

What the hell are you talking about? No one here is silent about these things, they're outraged. Why is it that everytime I read your posts that you have to be insulting?
Because it stops at outrage. Where is the mass political movement? Where is the challenge to both Islamists and the Pakistani Establishment? The mistake you're making is thinking that you have to submit to the system. You're not willing to acknowledge that the system is flawed and a new construct needs to be erected.

Do you think I'm crazy or selfish? It isn't MY people who die by the tens of thousands while politicians alternate between yelling and purring without actually doing; it's yours.

But you just said that they're reported, but ignored by the police because the rapists have connections.

Okay, this is just getting weird now. How do we know that unreported cases are higher in one nation and lower in another, when in reality, we'd need some form of statistic that interviewed people, which can't possibly exist, because then the victim's claims would have to be thoroughly investigated and then......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

THIS IS KILLING MY BRAIN!!!!

I'm done, you win, I'm done.

If you want to have a direct statistical basis for my statement (number of unreported cases in pakistan vs uk) I agree I dont have them, probably we will never know.

However I have certain indication of why I am right.

Anybody who wants to first tell his parents/male senior members that she is raped will first think twice because she knows her life will be changed forever.
Next her parents/male elders might try to suppress it due to fear that their daughter will never get married / they might get harassed if the rapist is in powerful position in village/town
If the rapist is within biradri, that is another problem.

Next in police station, they might be persuaded not to file report for their own good.

Only those who cross these hurdles, make the statistics we see.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom