What's new

Khyber Pukhtunkhuwa Local Bodies Election 2015

The deep rooted reforms have started to bear fruits. I am very happy. This my friend is indeed the new Pakistan :)

This along with police, education and health reforms and land record computerisation will propel KPK to a level not seen in Pakistan.

Last edited:
A stitch in time: Tailoring a new fate for young people
By Asad Zia
Published: May 29, 2015
44SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
893989-KhwajaUmair-1432836822-768-640x480.jpg

Khwaja Umair. PHOTO: FILE

PESHAWAR: Khwaja Umair has covered all the bases to contest local government polls on a reserved seat for youth at the neighbourhood level from Sikandar Town.

A 25-year-old tailor who runs a shop in Gulbahar, Umair is eager to bring challenges faced by young people to the fore. Umair has an unconventional story to go with his commitment to solve these challenges.

Never into politics or studies, Umair gave up on higher education after passing his SSC examination in 2007 and took up stitching for a living. Like many in his profession, Umair became a good listener, hearing his young clients and others in his union council discuss problems they faced. He decided to contest the local government elections in a bid to “set things right”.

‘When I am elected’

At first, the 25-year-old found himself weighed down by the complex procedures involved in the local government system. However, a lack of knowledge did not thin his determination to fix it all.

“My first priority will be to make arrangements for a playground in the area,” he said. “Children have no place to play.”

According to Umair, unemployment remains a pressing concern for people and many graduates are finding it difficult to find jobs.

The 25-year-old believes many youth candidates are unaware of how the local government system works.

“Once elected, I will make an effort to understand my responsibilities,” he said. “For now, I am more concerned about juggling electioneering with my responsibilities towards my shop.”

Party support

Umair has gained considerable support for his campaign from Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf.

“I am a PTI supporter and will follow its manifesto if I am elected,” he said.

PTI’s Peshawar General Secretary Younas Zaheer said the Insaf Youth Forum will support youth candidates.

However, the Election Commission of Pakistan in K-P spokesperson Sohail Khan said young candidates have not been allowed to use any party flags and symbols during the electioneering process.

“We have not received complaints about PTI or any other party which is are openly supporting candidates,” he added.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 29th, 2015.

KPK Takes Lead Over Punjab
about 1 hour ago
kpk-lead.jpg

LAHORE – Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) has taken lead from Punjab in Local government system as KPK trickled down more power to the lower level than Punjab for upcoming local bodies election.

Punjab has reduced the powers of Local Government (LG) institutions in the current process of power devolution than that of 2001 local government Act.

The KPK LG act 2013 has given more powers to the institutions at lower level as compared to LG institutions of other provinces.

KPK in the current LG system has not only abolished the Union Councils (UC) but devolved more powers to the village and neighborhood councils

These village and neighborhood councils will monitor the provincials departments along with police in their respective areas.

The provincial finance commission is independent in its decision under 2013 LG Act of KPK, whereas the LG commission are given immense powers to exercise.

The women’s are also given huge representation in the current local government system of KPK.

However, in Punjab the powers already existing with LG departments were further squeezed which tags a question marks over government intentions as to why Punjab government was reluctant to trickle down powers to LG’s departments, said sources.

Sources said that an official of transaction committee agreed to the fact that Punjab LG’s system was less powerful than the other three provinces.

KPK Takes Lead Over Punjab | The News Tribe

Can ‘change’ replace ‘roti, kapra, makaan’?
By Our Correspondents / Photo: Muhammad Iqbal
39SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
893972-image-1432835618-321-640x480.jpg

Banners and flags in Town-I. PHOTOS: MUHAMMAD IQBAL/EXPRESS

893972-image-1432835618-321-160x120.jpg
893972-image-1432835590-325-160x120.JPG

PESHAWAR:
Town-I has always been considered a stronghold of Pakistan Peoples Party but in 2013 Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf managed to gain an upper hand in the region.

Many believe PTI’s popularity during the previous polls was a short-lived trend and voters are likely to be more realistic about who they throw their weight behind. Yet, analysts feel PTI will make a clean sweep as party workers are taking the electioneering process seriously.

But will party loyalty overtake personal networking in areas like Yakatoot, Gulbahar or Ander Sheher?

Big fancy cars

“The local government elections are going to be held on a micro or mohallah level,” Ajmal Afridi, a resident of Gulbahar tells The Express Tribune. “I don’t think political parties are so involved at this level.” According to Afridi, the personal charm of candidates will be more important in the polls.

“Money, large vehicles and family background are likely to play a pivotal role, not a party’s position,” he explains. “This is because neighbourhood councils are fairly small. I think this will give all contestants a fair chance to win the polls.”

Mateen Khan, another resident, claims the outcome of the polls depends more on the efforts of individual candidates rather than the party they belong to.

“Some aspirants who were allotted tickets by political parties do not want to mention their party affiliations during the electioneering process,” Khan explains. “Many of them fear this will discourage voters who do not support their party’s agenda from voting for them.”

Party lines

Badshah Gul, a resident of Lahori Gate, has a different view.

“I think people will vote for PTI just because they are in power,” he says. “People would prefer having councillors from the ruling party so their problems can be addressed easily. This is likely to be a decisive factor in the outcome of the polls.”

Gul believes PTI and Jamaat-e-Islami candidates have an advantage over aspirants from other parties.

“The urban areas of the city are mostly dominated by PPP and ANP,” he says. “But they are likely to have low prospects in the LG elections.”

Run for its money

This is the first time PTI is contesting LG elections in the provincial capital. At this critical juncture, the party is grappling with the daunting challenge of defeating the tripartite alliance of opposition parties. As a result, it has gone an extra mile to give its rivals a run for its money.

PTI has set up an election camp in Bilal Town, Gulbahar for its aspirant for the general councillor seat from UC-9, Qasim Ali Shah.

However, PTI’s rivals have also redoubled efforts to restore their previous standing.

Town-I fell to ANP and PPP in the 2002 and 2005, respectively. This time, both parties have aligned against PTI with considerable support from Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl.

Defeating the newcomer

A senior ANP leader tells The Express Tribune voting patterns have changed significantly following PTI’s growing popularity in the region.

Nonetheless, ANP City District President Malik Ghulam Mustafa is optimistic his party will sail to a win. “PTI’s growing popularity has dented PPP, which is our ally,” he says. “About 70% of PPP workers have left for PTI. ANP has lost 10% to 20% of its workers to the party.”

However, Mustafa feels the tripartite alliance will give PTI a tough time in the elections.

“Although I cannot say we will make a clean sweep in the polls, we will somewhat diminish PTI’s popularity,” he adds.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, Qasim Ali Shah says PTI was initially intimidated by the alliance.

“However, once we started campaigning, we realised we did not need to worry about them too much,” he explains. Shah, and PTI, is optimistic about winning the polls.

A walk down memory lane

Town-I and other three towns of the province’s only city district government were first carved for the 2002 LG polls under General (retd) Pervez Musharraf. Initially, the town comprised 25 urban union councils and had an estimated population of 775,278. However, under the 2014 delimitation, boundaries were redrawn as union councils were reduced in size and turned into smaller neighbourhood and wards.

Joining the fray: From street vendor to politician
By Sohail Khattak / Photo: SOHAIL KHATTAK
51SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
894016-image-1432837476-533-640x480.jpg

Javed Hussain (centre) sits with his supporters. PHOTO: SOHAIL KHATTAK/EXPRESS

PESHAWAR: Although he believes politics is a game of the wealthy, 40-year-old Javed Hussain, a street vendor, has decided to test the waters. He will be among the thousands of candidates contesting a seat in the local government set-up that K-P’s residents will elect on May 30.

Hussain is a well-known face in the narrow streets of Kachi Mohallah where he is known as “Plastic wala chacha.” The name comes from how he makes his livelihood to provide for his five-member family. Hussain sells plastic utensils; carrying them in a large sack over his shoulder, the vendor roams the city’s streets chanting plastic ke bartan (plastic utensils) to attract potential buyers.

Hussain’s day starts with Fajr prayers when he sets out to sell his wares. When LG polls were announced in the province, Hussain decided to contest and with the aim to serve his neighbours, the 40-year-old filed his nomination for peasants/workers seat in the neighbourhood council from Pir Gulab Shah in Hashtnagri.

A team effort

“My family and friends asked me to stand in the elections and they are supporting me in campaigning, both financially and by canvassing voters,” Hussain told The Express Tribune.

After he finishes his work for the day, Hussain, his friends and other aspirants gather at an astana in Qadeem Imambargah around 3pm and plan ahead for the day. Then in a group of eight, they go door to door asking for votes. “We campaign in groups because it is easier to influence people,” said Malik Adil Zada who is contesting a youth seat from the neighbourhood which comprises Nishtarabad, Sikandarpura and Hashtnagri.

“We are workers of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) since my grandfather’s time, so I am contesting with support from the tripartite alliance of PPP, ANP and JUI-F,” said Hussain.

A candidate for village or neighbourhood council has to have around Rs25,000 to spend on electioneering, an amount Hussain feels he cannot afford to spend as he earns around Rs500 every day. “I am a poor man and earn for my children. If the day goes well, they eat, if it does not, they have to fast.”

However, it seems the vendor has quite a number of well-wishers. His friends who encouraged him to contest have been paying his campaigning expenses. “They divided the cost among themselves, someone paid for the cards, the other for posters and so forth,” he said.

The lack of money does not deter Hussain who is confident he will win a workers seat even though he has stiff competition from PTI-backed candidates. “Everyone knows me by name and face. Every house in this locality would have kitchen utensils I sold them. I know these streets inch by inch,” said Hussain.

He added if elected he would work on improving the locality’s drainage system and providing clean drinking water – the major problems residents are facing.

“I have grown up here. This was a slum area which is why it is called Kachi Mohallah,” said Hussain. “Many governments have come and gone but our problems have remained ignored, despite repeated written requests. Now, it is time to change our fate with self-help.”

The deep rooted reforms have started to bear fruits. I am very happy. This my friend is indeed the new Pakistan :)

This along with police, education and health reforms and land record computerisation will propel KPK to a level not seen in Pakistan.

indeed happiest moment of our struggle for betterment of Pakistan. this is true step forward.

"One of the PTI’s elected provincial representatives told the Guardian that the party had been complicit in keeping women away from the ballot box in KP, including in this weekend’s poll in Hangu."

Women barred from voting in parts of Pakistan | World news | The Guardian

Everybody dance for tabdeeli!!:yahoo:

well your dance wont earn you a ticket to british got talent, because the issue has already been addressed.

Strict Legal Action aganst anyone stopping women from voting in LB Election n KP

and also watch Khan's address at Kaphlu today and learn what he said.

indeed happiest moment of our struggle for betterment of Pakistan. this is true step forward.

well your dance wont earn you a ticket to british got talent, because the issue has already been addressed.

Strict Legal Action aganst anyone stopping women from voting in LB Election n KP

and also watch Khan's address at Kaphlu today and learn what he said.

Did you read the article?

"In a parliamentary byelection in Lower Dir this month, none of the eligible 50,000 women in the constituency turned out to vote. One report said mosques broadcast warnings to women, and polling stations were guarded by “baton-wielding men” who blocked the few women who did try to vote."

What did the ministers do in this regard? Absolutely nothing. Women were prevented from voting, and it was an arrangement that ALL candidates and parties agreed with, including PTI.

"On Wednesday the high court in Peshawar threw out a petition lodged by 12 women from Lower Dir who demanded the election be re-run. Shahab Khattak, the women’s lawyer, said the case was dismissed after 15 minutes, during which the judge seemed unsure whether women really were entitled to vote.

“The honourable judge asked whether it was a fundamental right for women to vote,” Khattak said. “We said indeed it is a fundamental right and a constitutional right."

The case was thrown out by the judiciary but why did it take women activists themselves to petition? And why did they need a petition if everything was all hunky dory? If everything was going smoothly as you say than this petition did not need to be lodged. So in that election women were prevented from voting, with the tacit approval of local PTI leadership.

"Siraj-ul-Haq, leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami, an Islamist party that jointly controls the KP government, argued that the women of Lower Dir had merely chosen to respect local traditions by not voting."

When you make deals to form a government with radical religious fascists with this mind set, tell me which progressive Pakistan does IK talk about?

"One of the PTI’s elected provincial representatives told the Guardian that the party had been complicit in keeping women away from the ballot box in KP, including in this weekend’s poll in Hangu."

And again you did not answer this. It doesn't matter what the minister says, it matters what happens on the ground. Batain to sub hee achi kertain, amal kerke dekhao.

"In the runup to the 2013 general election the PTI in Upper Dir signed a written agreement with other parties barring women from voting and stipulating large fines for anyone breaking the agreement. In the end just one woman’s vote was recorded."

Again, it would have helped if you had read the article. The issue has not been addressed, PTI is a consistent offender in this regard, says one thing, does another. Quite shameful actually, thought PTI was "different"?

Did you read the article?

"In a parliamentary byelection in Lower Dir this month, none of the eligible 50,000 women in the constituency turned out to vote. One report said mosques broadcast warnings to women, and polling stations were guarded by “baton-wielding men” who blocked the few women who did try to vote."

What did the ministers do in this regard? Absolutely nothing. Women were prevented from voting, and it was an arrangement that ALL candidates and parties agreed with, including PTI.

"On Wednesday the high court in Peshawar threw out a petition lodged by 12 women from Lower Dir who demanded the election be re-run. Shahab Khattak, the women’s lawyer, said the case was dismissed after 15 minutes, during which the judge seemed unsure whether women really were entitled to vote.

“The honourable judge asked whether it was a fundamental right for women to vote,” Khattak said. “We said indeed it is a fundamental right and a constitutional right."

The case was thrown out by the judiciary but why did it take women activists themselves to petition? And why did they need a petition if everything was all hunky dory? If everything was going smoothly as you say than this petition did not need to be lodged. So in that election women were prevented from voting, with the tacit approval of local PTI leadership.

"Siraj-ul-Haq, leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami, an Islamist party that jointly controls the KP government, argued that the women of Lower Dir had merely chosen to respect local traditions by not voting."

When you make deals to form a government with radical religious fascists with this mind set, tell me which progressive Pakistan does IK talk about?

And again you did not answer this. It doesn't matter what the minister says, it matters what happens on the ground. Batain to sub hee achi kertain, amal kerke dekhao.

"In the runup to the 2013 general election the PTI in Upper Dir signed a written agreement with other parties barring women from voting and stipulating large fines for anyone breaking the agreement. In the end just one woman’s vote was recorded."

Again, it would have helped if you had read the article. The issue has not been addressed, PTI is a consistent offender in this regard, says one thing, does another. Quite shameful actually, thought PTI was "different"?

I know that, the PHC also refused to null and void the election.

you were trying to do political point scoring as if PTI is responsible for social boycott of women voting. you cannot force people to go to vote.. as a politcal party and especially PTI who has more support in women, why would they not want them to vote?

I know that, the PHC also refused to null and void the election.

you were trying to do political point scoring as if PTI is responsible for social boycott of women voting. you cannot force people to go to vote.. as a politcal party and especially PTI who has more support in women, why would they not want them to vote?

I highlight PTI more because I once considered them different from other political parties. I highlight PTI because its supporters still believe it to be different from mainstream status quo parties. I did not expect this from PTI. PTI had the ample opportunity to say no we will not become a part of this campaign to marginalize women. But what did PTI do? Not only did it do it in lower dir recently, its local leadership also signed agreements barring women from voting in 2013 elections as well. Has anyone been held accountable there?

If this does not concern you and you want to play the PTI is being unjustly victimized card then its fine by me, just don't go around claiming PTI is any different, because the realities on the ground suggest that it the same of the old, with a new name. I have never said PTI is solely responsible, on the contrary I was saying that PTI, as a party of change and progressiveness had the best opportunity to smash the anti women campaigns during the elections by suggesting that women vote and given protection to women who wanted to vote.

Do you not see how messed up this is? This means that even in KPK the 2013 elections were not fair as in some constituencies, women were intimidated into not voting. PTI became part of this intimidation by barring women from voting too. Please accept PTI is no different, that's all I ask.

I highlight PTI more because I once considered them different from other political parties. I highlight PTI because its supporters still believe it to be different from mainstream status quo parties. I did not expect this from PTI. PTI had the ample opportunity to say no we will not become a part of this campaign to marginalize women. But what did PTI do? Not only did it do it in lower dir recently, its local leadership also signed agreements barring women from voting in 2013 elections as well. Has anyone been held accountable there?

If this does not concern you and you want to play the PTI is being unjustly victimized card then its fine by me, just don't go around claiming PTI is any different, because the realities on the ground suggest that it the same of the old, with a new name. I have never said PTI is solely responsible, on the contrary I was saying that PTI, as a party of change and progressiveness had the best opportunity to smash the anti women campaigns during the elections by suggesting that women vote and given protection to women who wanted to vote.

Do you not see how messed up this is? This means that even in KPK the 2013 elections were not fair as in some constituencies, women were intimidated into not voting. PTI became part of this intimidation by barring women from voting too. Please accept PTI is no different, that's all I ask.

whatever you reason of rant and point fingers at PTI is, the thing is merit per criticize karo, awane rant marnay ko patwari hain bohat yahan.

easy hoo same old shity stories i have listened from different people :coffee:

I wish them best of luck and hope the elections will be held transparently.

the turn out is awesome. unbelievable how people are participating in LBs.

women are being stopped at some places, I bet they are JUIF/ANP/JI etc as they know women voters are of PTI.

CGO4DfLWgAAteB9.jpg
CGO4c58W8AAxfLj.jpg

CGO5ev_XEAEVEYW.jpg

CGO7LhMXEAAbOCx.png

Back
Top Bottom