What's new

Kerala, Tamil Nadu face off over Mullaperiyar dam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. The time for political maneuvering is long over. ALL the political parties and ALL the people are in support of the state government's stance on mullapperiyar. Its still an "if", but not very "BIG". Mostly a question of "when"......and this "when" is without a huge tolerance limit. Most likely a tolerance limit of "this month" or the "next".

Let's see. I'm not holding my breath.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

they are insensitive to Kerala's worry. reaping free water from Mullaperiyar made them conclude that it is tamilnadu's birth right. it is not. The History of that Dam itself is the work of madras(under british colonialists) forcing an agreement with Travancore Rajah.

It is not a thing to discuss or wait for supreme court order when 33Lakhs peoples Lives are in acute danger. the Dam must be decommissioned soon. Water Level must be kept below 120feets NOW. We are accepting their demand for water . that itself must be considered a favour from Kerala state.

Busllsh!t. Mere sensationalism and boogeyman syndrome.

Just repeating the same thing again and again will not make it true.

Scientifically it has been proved that there is no threat to the dam whatsoever and unless that is scientifically rebutted, there is no sense just mere sloganism.

Let's see. I'm not holding my breath.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Busllsh!t. Mere sensationalism and boogeyman syndrome.

Just repeating the same thing again and again will not make it true.

Scientifically it has been proved that there is no threat to the dam whatsoever and unless that is scientifically rebutted, there is no sense just mere sloganism.

That is a lie. Scientific studies have been done by experts from IIT Roorkee and IIt Delhi, and by the Center for Earth Sciences. All three have categorically stated that the dam is unsafe. Here are my sources, CNN-IBN, Indian Express, NDTV and Deccan chronicle:

Mullaperiyar row: IIT report back Kerala case
Decommissioning of Dam was sought a year ago | mullaperiyar issue | | The New Indian Express
Ageing Mullaperiyar dam puts locals in state of fear
Mullaperiyar dam: Protests boil over | Deccan Chronicle

Will you take back the lie you said? I hope you can't say the news sources are Kerala's propoganda, since none of them are based in Kerala, and all of them are reputed national networks. And I hope 2 IITs and CESS are scientific enough for you. If not, well...

That is a lie. Scientific studies have been done by experts from IIT Roorkee and IIt Delhi, and by the Center for Earth Sciences. ...........

Will you take back the lie you said? I hope you can't say the news sources are Kerala's propoganda, since none of them are based in Kerala, and all of them are reputed national networks. And I hope 2 IITs and CESS are scientific enough for you. If not, well...

Students of IIT roorkee are not authorized to pass thier judgements on whether it is strong or not.
There are Central Govt agencies maintained for that role specifically and CWC is one such comprising of the best brains in the business , both scientifically and practically and their unanimous verdict is its strong.

Refer post # 287

You can always take these findings to the court of law, argue your case and win. I wont bother with that.

But just slogans,propaganda will not cut ice.

Students of IIT roorkee are not authorized to pass thier judgements on whether it is strong or not.
There are Central Govt agencies maintained for that role specifically and CWC is one such comprising of the best brains in the business , both scientifically and practically and their unanimous verdict is its strong.

Refer post # 287

You can always take these findings to the court of law, argue your case and win. I wont bother with that.

But just slogans,propaganda will not cut ice.

Where does it say the study was done by students?

Yes, we can take it to a court of law, argue and try to win - and in case you are not aware, we are doing that, it is being presented in a court of law. Propoganda and slogans serve another purpose - to make people aware of issues, and to mobilise public opinion, which leads to political action, and urgency to argue the state's case in courts. That's the way democracy works. We happen to be living in one, in case you didn't know. So going to court and making people aware of issues are not mutually exclusive things.

Again, you have to recant the lie you said, or tell me how you canme to the conclusion that the study was done by students, when none of the sources mention that. Don't twist the facts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but facts are sacred, as the saying goes.

Added later: Here is a source that mentions that the study was done by PROFESSORS, and the names of the professors is also given. Time to apologise for lying? Oh wait, you can claim that this source is not autherntic enough for you. Well, I am also including one of the mentioned professor's official IIT website, which lists this particular study and it's funding etc.

http://educationinindia-shyam.blogspot.com/2008/07/tamil-nadu-rejects-iit-delhi-study-on.html
http://web.iitd.ac.in/~gosain/proj_consultancy.html

And since you specifically mentioned IIT Roorkee study was done by students, here is a news story from MSN that clearly states it was done by "experts". Surely they didn't mean students?
http://news.in.msn.com/exclusives/it/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5623771

Time to apologise for lying, and thus being a better person?

^^We cannot a dam just like that. We don't need TN's permission but we need clearances from various Central ministries the most important of which is the Central Environment Ministry, so as to get the necessary finance for the project. My solution..impose a "Mullaperiyar Tax' in Kerala and raise the money needed locally.

I think even with money we nedd all theese clearnaces as some of the areas will surely comes under water...........But as per the news the new location proposed is less prone to earth quake and only 50 hecters of area(forest grass land comes) water and more water can be stored in resorvoir for the same height

we can pressurize with our central ministers to get this approval fast...............

about money we can conduct bucket piriv as achu mama said...................

And since you specifically mentioned IIT Roorkee study was done by students, here is a news story from MSN that clearly states it was done by "experts". Surely they didn't mean students?
Let scientists decide verdict on Mullaperiyar dam - *

Time to apologise for lying, and thus being a better person?

And was the statement that the CWC report trashed any semblance of threat to the dam also a lie ?

My basic point is not whether they were student or professor..they could be the dean for all I care, but how much of credibility that has against the report of a group of professionals who are paid for that alone by the GoI (CWC). And mind you the CWC employs only the best of the best with vast technical & practical experience.

So my point stands.

People getting excited about new dam must know the veto power is with us...Jayanthi Natarajan :D

New Delhi: Kerala on Monday asked the central government to give environmental clearance for constricting a new dam at Mullaperiyar. Kerala has obtained legal advice which says that if environmental clearance is not given, Kerala can take over the dam from Tamil Nadu after canceling the deed.

State government sources report that after having discussions with the central government, if Tamil Nadu does not oblige to solve the issue, Kerala would proceed with dam construction. But the door to solve the issue is not closed, said minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan and P J Joseph who will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday and apprise about the state's anxiety and other aspects of the Mullaperiyar dam.

The State would urge the Prime Minister to intervene and resolve the vexed issue between Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Meanwhile the recurrence of mild tremors in Idukki district in Kerala is causing concern over the safety of the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam, located on the borders with Tamil Nadu.

As many as 26 mild tremors and after-vibrations have occurred in parts of Idukki and adjoining Kottayam and Pathanamthitta districts since January this year, officials said.

Any such incident is of great concern for Kerala as Mullaperiyar dam, set to be in a vulnerable state is situated in the district.
Mullaperiyar dam was built when this part of Kerala was part of the Travancore princely state and Tamil Nadu under the Madras province under the British rule.

The dam has since then been a major source irrigation for the agricultural belt of central Tamil Nadu districts. For the past two decades however, the dam has been a subject of hot dispute between the neighbouring states.

While Kerala wants to decommission the structure and build a new one, that idea has not found favour with Tamil Nadu. Apart from local resistance groups, political parties on both sides have often taken aggressive postures on the issue.
In 2006, Kerala government passed the Kerala Irrigation and Water Conservation (Amendment) Act 2006, which prohibited the raising of water level beyond 136 ft in the Mulla Periyar Dam as it was placed under the Schedule of 'Endangered Dams'

Mathrubhumi English - Kerala seeks permission for new dam

bold part for Bhairava ...

bold part for Bhairava ...if no environmental clearance means dam is an ecolgical hazard then its easy for kerala to demolish dam

Etaa..I keep telling. It's not that easy like taking a candy from a child.

For taking over a small plot of land there is so many legal hassles in India..think about a huge dam on which lakhs of livelihoods depend. You people are so optimistic and not a bit pragmatic.

Etaa..I keep telling. It's not that easy like taking a candy from a child.

For taking over a small plot of land there is so many legal hassles in India..think about a huge dam on which lakhs of livelihoods depend. You people are so optimistic and not a bit pragmatic.

of course agree it wont be easy ... but our govt and people full prepared this time.

again completely agree with you it will be difficult to take land from its rightful owner ...but its easy to kick out a tenet from a leased land

.......but its easy to kick out a tenet from a leased land

Not so easy when we have a valid legal contract on our hand, favorable CWC report,more political influence at centre and lakhs of livelihoods depending on it.

Consider the IWT..even in war time India did not break it. That is the sanctity of legal contracts, breaking them is not that easy in this era of Constitution,courts etc.

Not so easy when we have a valid legal contract on our hand, favorable CWC report,more political influence and lakhs of livelihoods depending on it.

Consider the IWT..even in war time India did not break it. That is the sanctity of legal contracts, breaking them is not that easy in this era of Constitution,courts etc.

contract bwn India and Pakistan is Water sharing treaty or agreement ...while here there is no such water sharing agreement bwn Kerala and Tamil nadu on Mullaperiyar river so both are completely different issues

[

Not so easy when we have a valid legal contract on our hand, favorable CWC report,more political influence at centre and lakhs of livelihoods depending on it.

"Thalle.. ivante moda theerunillalle... venda venda ennu niruvikkumbo avante oru moda.. Thalle kaluppukalu theerunillalle.. da payile moda kanda edapeduve..."! "Bellarinnu pothu kachodum mathiyakki angottu vannalundalla...":tongue:

And was the statement that the CWC report trashed any semblance of threat to the dam also a lie ?

My basic point is not whether they were student or professor..they could be the dean for all I care, but how much of credibility that has against the report of a group of professionals who are paid for that alone by the GoI (CWC). And mind you the CWC employs only the best of the best with vast technical & practical experience.

So my point stands.

More distortions. Your original phrasing was "Students of IIT roorkee are not authorised to pass judgement on whether the dam is safe or not". Are you saying that your choice of the word "student" had nothing to do with trying to dent the credibility of the study? If you replace "student" with "professor" in your sentence, would you have been able to make that point? If you said professors at IITs are not authorised to pass judgement [...], your original point that there are no scientific studies done would have still been shown to be untrue. Also, can you provide a link that the CWC trashed these particular studies? Your post #287 quotes an earlier study by CWC, and all these studies by IITs and CESS were undertaken after that (the dates are in the links). Of course you can selectively pick and choose the results you want, but your original point that no scientifc studies have shown this, and it is all hot air from Kerala, is a lie. No matter how you look at it. The findings of civil engineering profs of IITs certainly has credibility in anybody's mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom