What's new

Kerala, Tamil Nadu face off over Mullaperiyar dam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dam, located in Kerala, is under the control of Tamil Nadu as the land has been given on lease for a long period (999 years) ..simple way cancel the lease with tamilnadu (for violation on agreement) and take over the dam

The dam, located in Kerala, is under the control of Tamil Nadu as the land has been given on lease for a long period (999 years) ..simple way cancel the lease with tamilnadu (for violation on agreement) and take over the dam

If only it had been so easy.

Seriously though, what will the tamilians do ? We could just take it and tell them to stuff it up their......

A protest, a roadblock and then back to normal.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Meanwhile, supplies and remaining essentials could be procured from karnataka and andhra pradesh?

Seriously though, what will the tamilians do ? We could just take it and tell them to stuff it up their......

A protest, a roadblock and then back to normal.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Meanwhile, supplies and remaining essentials could be procured from karnataka and andhra pradesh?

You guys make it sound so simple. I don't know what to say. Go ahead, try your luck.

I'm done with trying to convince you what are the actual legalities and what are the obstructions that both states face in the negotiations.

And don't ever cross the border for any treatment/hospital etc. Go to Karnataka or Andhra for that too. Also learn to live in moonlight as electricity supply may also be stopping from here. :hitwall:

Its almost as if kerala has no hospitals or power stations......ooh so scary......

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

To the tamilan guy here......what if the dam breaks today or tomorrow? Do you think you will even get an ounce of water after that?!

that 1970 agreement expired in 2000 get u r facts correct

After several unsuccessful attempts to renew the agreement in 1958, 1960 and 1969, the agreement was renewed in 1970 when C Achutha Menon was the chief minister of Kerala. According to the renewed agreement, the tax per hectare RS 30, and the electricity generated in water using Mullaperiyar Lower Camp, the cost of RS 12 per kilowatt per hour. It was, without the consent of the Legislative Assembly of Kerala. This agreement expired in 2000.

Its almost as if kerala has no hospitals or power stations......ooh so scary......

I think so considering most of the hospitals in border districts re flooded with Keralite patients. They say that they dont have such multi-specialty hospitals in their towns and even the ones there are very costly compared to the ones here.

To the tamilan guy here......what if the dam breaks today or tomorrow? Do you think you will even get an ounce of water after that?!

It will not. Tamil Nadu govt/Supreme Court are not fools and you guys the only educated ones.

that 1970 agreement expired in 2000 get u r facts correct

After several unsuccessful attempts to renew the agreement in 1958, 1960 and 1969, the agreement was renewed in 1970 when C Achutha Menon was the chief minister of Kerala. According to the renewed agreement, the tax per hectare RS 30, and the electricity generated in water using Mullaperiyar Lower Camp, the cost of RS 12 per kilowatt per hour. It was, without the consent of the Legislative Assembly of Kerala. This agreement expired in 2000.

Marxist bro,

It was a unreferenced line in Wiki which anyone could have edited.

As per a lease agreement signed in 1886 and renewed in 1970, Tamil Nadu can continue drawing the water of the reservoir till 2885 AD by paying Kerala an annual fee of just Rs 40,000.

Dam that has breached ties

They had copied word to word from Wikipedia. Note the [3], [4] etc in the page.

Lazy government employees :D

The premise is simple. The Agreement was signed in 1886 and renewed in 1970 and we have legal rights over the Dam. If GoK wants control it can approach the SC and take appropriate action.

Bhairav bro, I'm sorry if their where any insulting comments by anyone against tamilians.. but i just want u to undersatnd that their IS widespread fear among the people of kerala...and i assure you it has nothing to do with media or government.
Please think about it...their are tremors occuring every week in idukki and the topography of the region is so, that every tremor gets magnified. When we say its a ticking bomb, its coz we realy feel so and people are damn scared beyond belief. I have family members their and every time i hear about a tremor it just gives a hard blow on my chest but i feel helpless...1970 999 everything feels like ordinary.
I just dont knw how to explain the fear psychosis that exists here, but i hope u and the many tamilian friends here do understand it.
thanks and regards

Bhairav bro, I'm sorry if their where any insulting comments by anyone against tamilians.. but i just want u to undersatnd that their IS widespread fear among the people of kerala...and i assure you it has nothing to do with media or government.
Please think about it...their are tremors occuring every week in idukki and the topography of the region is so, that every tremor gets magnified. When we say its a ticking bomb, its coz we realy feel so and people are damn scared beyond belief. I have family members their and every time i hear about a tremor it just gives a hard blow on my chest but i feel helpless...1970 999 everything feels like ordinary.
I just dont knw how to explain the fear psychosis that exists here, but i hope u and the many tamilian friends here do understand it.
thanks and regards

Mate I perfectly understand your emotions.

I'm just saying both your and my Govt are perched onto their respective positions and are not climbing down to find a mutual ground.

You guys articulated your positions and with due respect I had to do my state's position. Hope both Govt see some sense and resolve the issue to the benefit of both Tamils and Mallus.

Real Kolaveri: Social media abuzz with murderous rage over Mullaperiyar

Kochi: So you thought Dhanush jamming in his studio about a failed love affair is the real Kolaveri (murderous rage)? But the real Kolaveri in Twitter and facebook in Kerala is over the Mullaperiyar dam - a 116-year-old structure that spells water for Tamil Nadu and bomb for Kerala.

Ranjith Avarachan a blogger who goes by the Twitter handle Zeqox Thursday let known his rage by posting a parody of the lyrics of the Youtube viral hit song Kolaveri sung by Dhanush.

"ayYo boys i am singing a song/dam song/death song," he wrote asking people of Tamil Nadu to have a change of mind over Mullaperiyar. But by the time the parody ends there is enough name calling and stereotyping that shows rage got the better of him.

On Twitter several users backed the slogan by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy which promises 'Water for TN; Safety for Kerala', indicating that they are not averse to provide water to Tamil Nadu. Others submitted petitions to the President of India and the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and urged others to follow suit.

"TN wants to halt Kudankulam bcoz they feel it's life threatening. But they dont want to replace 116yrs old Mullaperiyar dam & say it's safe!," tweeted Vivek Gopalakrishnan under the handle Vivek_s_g.

There was also desperation that Mullaperiyar was not trending in Twitter.

Bloggers have been spearheading a movement to rebuild the Mullaperiyar dam since 2009 and many of them have been vocal on the web, flaying politicians on both sides of the dam for playing with lives of people and igniting emotions through hate speech.

A post in the blog Nammudeboolokam said the issue should be amicably solved possibly through an out-of-court settlement. "Tamil Nadu has people who are educated and wise and we should join hands with them to find a humane solution to the issue," wrote blogger Niraksharan.

Offline events like a candle light vigil christened 'Save sinking Kerala' is also being planned at Marine Drive, Ernakulam at 5.30 p.m. on November 25.

Manorama Online | Real Kolaveri: Social media abuzz with murderous rage over Mullaperiyar

Time has come to rethink on the Previous agreement. I think no where in India is a dam that is situated inside one's territory is controlled by an outside govt. GoK should repeal this agreement. There is option for it, atleast thats what I heard on TV. New dam with new agreement. If TN finds it unfair, so be it.Our lives is more important than your vegetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom