What's new

Kerala Corner

Ninde chuvappu koodi koodi vannal pinne nee parathi parayunnathu lavan maru mind cheyyilla....

I google Kerala roads in images, to compare roads in Tamil Nadu.

a lot of the images were of potholes.

Somethings never change I guess.

I google Kerala roads in images, to compare roads in Tamil Nadu.

a lot of the images were of potholes.

Somethings never change I guess.

Well Kerala roads are much much better today.... i guess till May end the road conditions were the best we ever had..... I drove 200 Kms today and l hardly got any potholes (barring cochin where there is metro work is going on).... .But come july the story will be different. Once the monsoon picks up and thats the time the roads get damaged......

But if you compare the infrastructure as a whole, there is no comparison between Kerala and TN.... TN is 20 years ahead of kerala......Probably in Kerala we have about 100-120 kms of 4 lane roads...... now In TN has every highway is 4 lane..... You should see NH 17 (which is from Edappally to Panavel in mumbai) The average width will be 10 mts.....:P

Well Kerala roads are much much better today.... i guess till May end the road conditions were the best we ever had..... I drove 200 Kms today and l hardly got any potholes (barring cochin where there is metro work is going on).... .But come july the story will be different. Once the monsoon picks up and thats the time the roads get damaged......

But if you compare the infrastructure as a whole, there is no comparison between Kerala and TN.... TN is 20 years ahead of kerala......Probably in Kerala we have about 100-120 kms of 4 lane roads...... now In TN has every highway is 4 lane..... You should see NH 17 (which is from Edappally to Panavel in mumbai) The average width will be 10 mts.....:P

Let's be Honest, Kerala's core competency is tourism.

And kerala could do so much more to boost tourism numbers. Actually paying attention to building a nightlife. (which is unlikely, because it is against our Maryada).

Kerala is never going to be an Industrial powerhouse, but if the Rulers had any sense, Kerala's main attraction should be lifestyle.

Are there honor killings in Kerala? Because I heard two dalit girls got killed in Tamil nadu over it.

Do you think Kerala society is mre liberal in terms of inter-caste marriage? Or is it still very conservative?

Let's be Honest, Kerala's core competency is tourism.

And kerala could do so much more to boost tourism numbers. Actually paying attention to building a nightlife. (which is unlikely, because it is against our Maryada).

Kerala is never going to be an Industrial powerhouse, but if the Rulers had any sense, Kerala's main attraction should be lifestyle.

When it come to road infrastructure, the biggest problem the authorities face is the density of population...3.3 crore people are living in just 38k sq km...... Now reduce the water and forest and hills from that, you will see a place where the density of population is the highest in the country.... Now to even expand a highway by 10 meters the number of people to be evacuated is going to be very high..... And we know how we keralites behave when something like that comes up...... We approach courts to get a stay or declare harthal, or a dharna/strike.

Now i travel across the country and outside..... Would u believe kerala is the only place where people oppose Toll, even on highways..... By the way today when i was crossing the toll in paliyekkara i could see about 20 policemen protecting the toll booth (as they recently hiked toll charges by 15 rupee one side for car)....

Night life in kerala???? Well once you reach a place after 10 pm , you wont even get a place to eat.... Either you will have to depend on a bar (most of them are closed now) or go to a "Thattukada"

Well tourism, is the only area something happening..... if ask a houseboat operator when is the season... He will tell you every day, every month is a season.... Now 5 years back the season was oct to feb.... Earlier we were concentrating on Foreigners.... But these days there are lot of visitors from North India..... Infact while i am typing this thread, i can see an advertisement on top of this page in PDF which talks about Kerala tourism :P.....

Industrial power house???? well BMW was planning to open its manufacturing facility in kerala..... If i am not mistaken the day some senior official was visiting, he was asked not to as we were celebrating a Harthal...... and now that plant has come up in TN

Kerala has to go with wider highways(45m minimum). the inflated real estate prices also have to come down. Also, the highways through midland zone has to be straightened. eg: ernakulam-muvattupuzha or ernakulam-pukkattupady-perumbavoor route. a small LA itself is big problem in Kerala! forget about railway projects Nilambur-Nanjangode or Guruvayyoor-Thirunavaya and Sabari railway(Angamaly-Azhutha) all are projects resting in papers.

Are there honor killings in Kerala? Because I heard two dalit girls got killed in Tamil nadu over it.
Do you think Kerala society is mre liberal in terms of inter-caste marriage? Or is it still very conservative?
Tamilnadu is generally considered ultra conservative. Kerala society varies from north to south. Southern part is slightly orthodox in values, IMO. eg: Women travelling in the nights and evening attracts stares(TVM) while it is not so in central Kerala.

Kerala has to go with wider highways(45m minimum). the inflated real estate prices also have to come down. Also, the highways through midland zone has to be straightened. eg: ernakulam-muvattupuzha or ernakulam-pukkattupady-perumbavoor route. a small LA itself is big problem in Kerala! forget about railway projects Nilambur-Nanjangode or Guruvayyoor-Thirunavaya and Sabari railway(Angamaly-Azhutha) all are projects resting in papers.

Tamilnadu is generally considered ultra conservative. Kerala society varies from north to south. Southern part is slightly orthodox in values, IMO. eg: Women travelling in the nights and evening attracts stares(TVM) while it is not so in central Kerala.

I used to remember the day when I was in Kerala, there were these unemployed guys, every Evening would sit down near a bench near a Thattukada near my house, and pass comments on Girl students coming back from Lectures.

I used to remember the day when I was in Kerala, there were these unemployed guys, every Evening would sit down near a bench near a Thattukada near my house, and pass comments on Girl students coming back from Lectures.

Gone are those days...... I remember those scenes in late 90s and early 2000's.....

Gone are those days...... I remember those scenes in late 90s and early 2000's.....

what about the state of comedy in TV?

before I left India in 2004, there said to be high calibre satires on Asianet and other channels.

have the level of entertainment decline?

what about the state of comedy in TV?

before I left India in 2004, there said to be high calibre satires on Asianet and other channels.

have the level of entertainment decline?

When you left you there may be 3 channels (max)... Asianet, Surya and Kairali..... Now we have about 30 channels out of which close to 15 are for entertainment..... and every channel got their comedy shows, over a period of time these shows have become tragedy....... I guess the latest experiment is Cinemaa Chirimaa in manorama...... Directed by Siddique. (ex partner of lal), it is a bit different, dono how it is going to be... another one is Badai Banglaw.....

I guess now you can buy a set top box of local service providers and can use it there..... It is working in Middle east.... They telecast almost every channel in India

I stick by news channels Indiavision or Asianet news. rest I will be watching History,timesnow, ndtv or such channels. Malayalam channels are boooring...is that me alone that feels so? :what:

Back
Top Bottom