What's new

Kerala Corner

Not trying to rabble rouse here or troll.. Just a genuine observation.. As a person of Lankan origin i have found to much surprise how similar people from SL and Kerala are to the rest of the region.. Especially after i started to post in the forum and have come across a lot of Indians(Unfortunately) :P

The thought process's, Out look on life in general, Attitudes towards religion, coexistence, Politics, Even food and culture are remarkably on a similar wave length.. SL may be closer to TN geographically but a way more closer to Kerala in life

Not trying to rabble rouse here or troll.. Just a genuine observation.. As a person of Lankan origin i have found to much surprise how similar people from SL and Kerala are to the rest of the region.. Especially after i started to post in the forum and have come across a lot of Indians(Unfortunately) :P

The thought process's, Out look on life in general, Attitudes towards religion, coexistence, Politics, Even food and culture are remarkably on a similar wave length.. SL may be closer to TN geographically but a way more closer to Kerala in life

Havent been to SL yet.... But a friend who lived there told me that we got lot of similarities (between SL and kerala)..... The greenery, Water, Beaches, Food,Climate, People.....

I stick by news channels Indiavision or Asianet news. rest I will be watching History,timesnow, ndtv or such channels. Malayalam channels are boooring...is that me alone that feels so? :what:

You are not alone here..... My favorite shows these days are... Democrazy, Dhim tharikida thom, etc etc.... You should watch varandhyam in India vision.... The way he analyses the news....

Havent been to SL yet.... But a friend who lived there told me that we got lot of similarities (between SL and kerala)..... The greenery, Water, Beaches, Food,Climate, People.....

Hence the reason that Lankans tend to have the most constructive and reasonable discussions with you guys on the forum tahn with others.. Is Nair a common surname in Kerala ?

And what is the percentage and current state of Syrian Christians and Jews in the state ?? Are they still influential in society or have they diminished in numbers and influence ??

Hence the reason that Lankans tend to have the most constructive and reasonable discussions with you guys on the forum tahn with others.. Is Nair a common surname in Kerala ?

And what is the percentage and current state of Syrian Christians and Jews in the state ?? Are they still influential in society or have they diminished in numbers and influence ??

Well Nair is a caste and lot of people use it as a sir name..... ( i used in one chat room back in 2000 and since then i kind of use it ) Well Mallus normally get along with everyone.... that is the reason you will find Mallus in every nuke and corner of the world....

Well Christians are influential and they consists more than 15% of population of Kerala, most of them are rich and currently we have a Chief Minister who is a Christian....

Jews are few in mumbers and i think they are confined to part of Cochin..... towards fort cochin...

i am from Syrian Christian community(though not a believer)..Syrian Christians from nearly 13% of population and are divided into many sects namely Catholics,orthodox,jacobites,evangelical..etc....and also there are Latin Christians,CSI,Anglican,anglo Indian,7th day,jewoh witness,pentacostal,which forms another 6% of Christian population...
there were many Jewish groups in Kerala..99% of them were migrated to Israel in 1950s...
Nairs are warrior classes and they form 14%..

i am from Syrian Christian community(though not a believer)..Syrian Christians from nearly 13% of population and are divided into many sects namely Catholics,orthodox,jacobites,evangelical..etc....and also there are Latin Christians,CSI,Anglican,anglo Indian,7th day,jewoh witness,pentacostal,which forms another 6% of Christian population...
there were many Jewish groups in Kerala..99% of them were migrated to Israel in 1950s...
Nairs are warrior classes and they form 14%..

Cool.. Did Nair's derive from Nayakkar's or they are only Telingu's ? Because the last king of Kandy was from a Nayakkar dynasty (By marriage to his grandfather)

Well Nair is a caste and lot of people use it as a sir name..... ( i used in one chat room back in 2000 and since then i kind of use it ) Well Mallus normally get along with everyone.... that is the reason you will find Mallus in every nuke and corner of the world....

Well Christians are influential and they consists more than 15% of population of Kerala, most of them are rich and currently we have a Chief Minister who is a Christian....

Jews are few in mumbers and i think they are confined to part of Cochin..... towards fort cochin...

Been to Cochin, Kollam, Allepey etc.. Nice place.. Years ago though.. Has it changed much ?

Kerala and Lanka have similarities geographically. don't know about the culture though.
Syrian Christians are declining in population confined mostly to 4-5 districts particularly Kottayam, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Pathanamthitta, Alappuzha, Idukki etc in central Kerala as well as eastern parts of Malabar and Tulunad regions. Cochini Jews and Paradesi(Sephardic) both left Kerala for Israel back in the '50s. a handful of them 15-60 live here.

Roman Latin converted Christians from castes like Ezhava/Thiyya, Araya(Mukkuvan), Nadar, Chakkliya and Konkani Christians(in north Malabar) forms majority of Christians in coastal region. In South Kerala, Tamil tribal castes like Nadars converted into protestant church forming Church of South India(CSI).

Last edited:
Kerala and Lanka have similarities geographically. don't know about the culture though.

Well with my experience here and elsewhere, They are more similar than any other Indian community to Lankans.. Maybe it's the weather.. Who knows ?

Well with my experience here and elsewhere, They are more similar than any other Indian community.. Maybe it's the weather.. Who knows ?

weather????...... Yes The monsoon first come to Srilanka and then it travels to kerala before any other state in India....

Cool.. Did Nair's derive from Nayakkar's or they are only Telingu's ? Because the last king of Kandy was from a Nayakkar dynasty (By marriage to his grandfather)

Been to Cochin, Kollam, Allepey etc.. Nice place.. Years ago though.. Has it changed much ?

Cochin you could see lot of change.... Aleppy Not much its the same.... Kollam also have changed

weather????...... Yes The monsoon first come to Srilanka and then it travels to kerala before any other state in India....

Lol.. I meant it in tongue and cheek mate :lol:.. Personally i think Lankan's are way more laid back.. But people of Kerala and Goa are the closest you can find among Indians to that life style

@Gibbs

yes, there has been a massive influx of migrants from other pats (northern India mostly).

Cochin has become worse in terms of garbage and has increased in population.

Allepey still remains a tourist hub :) Though IMO, Kerala still remains underutilised as a tourist state :)

Lol.. I meant it in tongue and cheek mate :lol:.. Personally i think Lankan's are way more laid back.. But people of Kerala and Goa are the closest you can find among Indians to that life style

yes. this is true. The laid back aspect anyway.

@Gibbs

yes, there has been a massive influx of migrants from other pats (northern India mostly).

Cochin has become worse in terms of garbage and has increased in population.

Allepey still remains a tourist hub :) Though IMO, Kerala still remains underutilised as a tourist state :)

Infrastructure is the issue @Ravi Nair ..... But slowly and steadily it is picking up, I just checked some resorts today.....They are too good.... There are lot of hotels coming up as well... marriot is coming in cochin,

Infrastructure is the issue @Ravi Nair ..... But slowly and steadily it is picking up, I just checked some resorts today.....They are too good.... There are lot of hotels coming up as well... marriot is coming in cochin,

:o::o::o:

Is this true?

Back
Top Bottom