What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
They are in "Stone Pelting Business" because they need money. They need social security and jobs. The thing is these people do not recognize that they are driving industry away from Kashmir through their actions and depriving themselves of precious jobs. The whole situation does not make sense to me. If they want freedom, they should achieve that in the quickest possible time and then get on with their economic development. If they dont, they need to stop protesting and work to creating a meaningful atmosphere. Right now, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Care to explain how can they achieve freedom in quickest possible way. Kashmiris had been demanding freedom peacfully from 1947 till 1989. It did not work and Indians did not paid any attention. Then they took up arms. Atleast that brought the Indians to the negotiation tables and they do accept that their is a problem. It is not only hearting Kashmiris but also India. Maintaining 700000 men strong armed forces is expensive and sooner or later India shall start to feel the pressure.

Army called in as Held Kashmir boils again

* Three more killed as security forces fire at stone-pelting mob
* 13 people injured in fresh clashes across IHK
* Mobile services blocked
* Chidambaram pledges support to IHK govt
* Blames anti-national elements for ‘trying to exploit the situation’

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: The Indian-held Kashmir government sought the army’s help on Tuesday and imposed a curfew in the region to control continuing unrest, when firing by security personnel on stone-pelting protesters left three more people dead. The army moved in Sopore and the adjoining Baramulla township, as violence spread to South Kashmir and more areas of North Kashmir.

At least 13 people were injured in fresh clashes between protesters and security forces across the valley, police said.

On Tuesday, deaths were reported from the southern Anantnag district where protesters had gathered on the streets. Police identified the killed protesters as Ishfaq Ahmed Khanday, Imtiyaz Ahmad Itoo and Shujatul Islam. The victims were part of a mob hurling stones at Central Reserve Police Force personnel in Anchidoora in Anantnag town, 55 kilometres of Srinagar, police said.

Locals alleged that the CRPF personnel barged into houses and shops while chasing a violent mob protesting the rise in killings by security forces, and shot the victims in a house and a bakery. Death toll in the firings has reached to eight in a week. Two people had died in CRPF firing in Sopore and Baramulla on Monday.

Reports of violence were also reported from across the valley in Kupwara, Bandipur, Budgam, Pulwama Kangan and Sumbal areas.

In the northern town of Kupwara, at least five protestors and four policemen were injured when CRPF and police resorted to baton-charge and teargas shelling to disperse hundreds of people from Kupwara and adjoining areas who protested and tried to march towards Sopore. Massive protests were also held in nearby Handwara. Protestors from Rajwar, Handwara and Kulangam assembled at the Handwara Chowk to march towards Sopore.

Services blocked: Under the current situation, mobile services in North Kashmir and SMS service in the entire valley were blocked on the instructions of the government.

Separately, Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram pledged support to the IHK government to enforce curfew restrictions sternly and end rioting. In a statement after a high-level meeting of security chiefs to review the situation in IHK, the minister blamed anti-national elements for attempting to exploit the situation, and appealed to the people to help restore law and order.

Anti-state elements: “There are reliable reports that anti-national elements are trying to exploit the situation. Some militants may also have sneaked into the valley to trigger violence. I appeal to all those who believe in peace and development to stand by the state government and help it restore law and order,” he added.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

when was the last time any new country was made in this world? bosnia? serbia? atleast they have some resources to survive. what kashmir has? pakistan? if kashmir becomes independent or part of pakistan, pakistan will steal all the water from kashmir and make them cry like baluchistan. personally i want to get rid of kashmir for good and want to live peacefully in my own country. but if the kashmir is given based on the hindu, muslim division, i would like to have all the muslims from india be gone to kashmir or pakistan for good. i am treating my muslim brothers as my brothers because i never felt my country is devided based on my religion because i see my muslim brothers everyday in my life..but if kashmir needs to be seperated because they are muslims, i would ask all my muslim brethern to rethink where they belong and expect them to belong where they need to be..i think that makes sense..

Care to explain how can they achieve freedom in quickest possible way. Kashmiris had been demanding freedom peacfully from 1947 till 1989.
Not Kashmiris...but Pakistan has been jumping all over the world forums saying that......and Pakistan can continue to do for for scouple of more centuries....as if it matters.

It did not work and Indians did not paid any attention. Then they took up arms.
Or ...the terrorists started coming in from Pakistan...and Killing kashmiri Pundits...and things went out of hand so army was called in ....

Atleast that brought the Indians to the negotiation tables and they do accept that their is a problem.
You think so.....all India has to do is stop talking to Pakistan and Pakistani leadership will go round and round ...jumping all over the world that look ...India is not talking....India is not talking....

It is not only hearting Kashmiris but also India.
Care to look at whats it has done to Pakistan.....Support terrorism ...and it has a funny way of getting back at you...

Maintaining 700000 men strong armed forces is expensive and sooner or later India shall start to feel the pressure.
Guess What....more than army there are Police and CRPF ...and that too local Kashmiri men....sos there is a pseudo economy going on there.....so relax...everything is being taken care of.....I mean we have enough money to take care of that.

I simply do not understand the sense of sending in these thullas covered in what looks like a padded rajai, a WWII helmet with a steel grill visor, and a lathio in hand man. Against guys chucking rocks at them.

There has to be a middle ground between lathis and throwing rocks back (today's newspaper had a photo of some thulls gathered around a wheelbarrow collecting brick pieces to chuck back!) and the use of live ammunition as a last ditch measure.

The security forces need much better body armour. Nothing fancy, but why not basic sports quality hard guards at least? Like elbow and forearm, knee and shin, hip and thigh, back, as well as motocross style upper body armor with shoulder and chest protector integrated as well? It would not cost more than 5000 bucks at most. Can't we spend that much on each policeman?

Secondly, the world over riot police have guns that fire non-lethal rubber bullets. Why not fire those at the stone pelters? Yes you could lose an eye or a testicle, but I find it hard to imagine rallies with green flags in Sopore or Anantnag over a young man minus one testicle. And it would give other young men something to think about before they accept their daily wages for stoning on hire.

Thirdly, as way back as the early 90s the Indian Army MP has had these electrical prods and tasers. Crude but very effective. And once hit, you develop this sudden overpowering lifelong urge not to experience it again! After all, there's something spectaculary un-heroic and un-inspiring about a "pro-freedom insurgent" going into grotesque tonic-clonic paroxysms on the ground as his bladder and anal sphincters lose all tone and violently expel their contents involuntarily.

:tup:

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
Indian Occupied Kashmir locked down in bid to stem protests

SRINAGAR, India — Thousands of Indian troops enforced a strict curfew in parts of Kashmir on Wednesday, after three teenagers were shot dead by security forces, sparking arson and rioting.
Six people have been killed in the last four days and 11 in less than three weeks during demonstrations against the killing of Kashmiris by Indian forces which began with the death of a schoolboy earlier this month.
Each death has sparked a new cycle of violence and state chief minister Omar Abdullah appealed Tuesday for calm and for people to stay in their homes.
A curfew is in force in northern Sopore town for the fifth day running and neighbourhoods have been locked down in the Kashmiri summer capital Srinagar and other towns in Muslim-majority Kashmir valley.
The fatal shootings on Tuesday, in which three teenagers died, took place in southern Anantnag district, about 55 kilometres (34 miles) south of the Kashmiri summer capital Srinagar.
Residents claimed the three were not part of the protest and crowds set fire to state-owned trucks, ambulances and a petrol pump in retaliation, according to police.
The protesters marched though the town chanting "Blood for Blood!".
"Strict curfew is in force in the town and its adjoining villages," police officer Showket Ahmed said.
Indian Kashmir has been wracked by street protests since June 11, when a 17-year-old student died after being hit by a teargas shell fired by police during a pro-independence demonstration in Srinagar.
The violence is seen as a major test for Abdullah, who came to power last year promising to improve human rights.
Even where curfews were not in place Wednesday, life came to standstill because of a general strike called for the second day running by separatists. Shops, schools and offices were closed.
India has an estimated 500,000 soldiers in Kashmir, which is jointly administered by India and Pakistan, a legacy of British colonial rule on the subcontinent.
Both countries claim Kashmir in full, however, and have fought two of their three wars over it.

Indian Occupied Kashmir locked down in bid to stem protests

Freedom of Kashmiris is supreme. I think India is simply disregarding the amount of disdain the Kashmiris have for India. No amount of weaponry, torture and physical abuse would deter this drive for freedom.

Freedom of Kashmiris is supreme. I think India is simply disregarding the amount of disdain the Kashmiris have for India. No amount of weaponry, torture and physical abuse would deter this drive for freedom.

Law and Order is common for everyone.... And if they disturb the law and order, Not only in J&K but in any part of India,Police does the same, lathi charge, but In Srinagar its More, as There are foreign Elements Involved.... Thats it.... and No one can take kashmir from us...

Only a day dreamer can, and that too in his dreams:lol:

And it would give other young men something to think about before they accept their daily wages for stoning on hire.

Cheers, Doc

Yes; they're doing it just for money - In fact people in Kashmir are very happy - Sab Acha hay.Denial at it's best.

☪☪☪☪;964733 said:
Yes; they're doing it just for money - In fact people in Kashmir are very happy - Sab Acha hay.Denial at it's best.

Brother, please give us some credit for intelligence here.

I can tell you that every one of 1.2 billion Indians, wherever they live in the world, could have predicted and given to you guys in writing on sau rupaye ka stamp paper what was going to happen in Kashmir bang on time to coincide with the visits of our people to your country to talk peace.

No one in the world, least of all you guys, and us obviously, has any illusions as to what this latest drama in Kashmir is all about really, so please spare us your crocodile tears, and save them for your own countrymen and forces.

Sab acha hai bhai. Lakeer ke donon taraf.

Stamp paper par kuch aur bhi likh sakta hun main, aane waale dinon mein, lekin woh to aap bhi jaante hain, toh kya fayda? Bekaar mein sau rupaye thuk jaayenge .....

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
Thirdly, as way back as the early 90s the Indian Army MP has had these electrical prods and tasers. Crude but very effective. And once hit, you develop this sudden overpowering lifelong urge not to experience it again! After all, there's something spectaculary un-heroic and un-inspiring about a "pro-freedom insurgent" going into grotesque tonic-clonic paroxysms on the ground as his bladder and anal sphincters lose all tone and violently expel their contents involuntarily.
:lol:

Daktaar saheb in his elements.

Army has to step in to control the situation, CRPF is handling it bad... Its a sensitive area.... Army has to come now

False - India violated her commitment to plebiscite and her promise to the Kashmiris in the fifties, when Nehru articulated his position of converting the LoC to the IB and rejecting the need for a plebiscite, and the GoI moved to integrate the territory into its constitution.

'Pakistan creating a law and order problem in the valley' is nothing but a canard since the Indian decision to not implement its commitment of plebiscite had occurred long before Pakistan's covert involvement in J&K, as pointed out in the first para.

You have engaged in this debate Zillions of times on different threads in this forum .
Yes , New Delhi moved to integrate the territory into its constitution as a result of which J & K enjoys a degree of autonomy that no other state in the Indian Dominion possesses . Only the 'Kashmiri Muslim' constituency in the valley ( both North and South ) is dissatisfied ( has been in the past as well ) with the status of an Autonomous State within the Indian Constitution and have agitated for complete independence or secession to Pak . On the other hand Ladakh and Jammu region resent this 'special status' for J & K and want integration with the Union .
As I mentioned you are a seasoned debater , for the UN resolutions to be implemented there were certain obligations on BOTH India and Pakistan and BOTH didnt oblige .
Did someone say that Pakistan's implicit support to armed militant groups in Kashmir is a farce ? :woot:
Take another look at your comment where you had declared India's turn around on the promise of conducting a plebiscite occurred before Pakistan's covert involvement . Your nation has been involved since 21 Sept 1947 , through and through . The elections in 1987 which were a farce gave your Govt and the Army another excuse to get involved in Kashmir once again albeit this time there was vast constituency in Kashmir that was more than just 'angry' with the GOI something that was not the case in 47 and 65 . Your leadership never sincerely went ahead in a dialogue with the ruler of the princely state prior to and immediately after partition . The move to defeat the unpopular ruler was accompanied by mass murder , looting and uprooting of the minority community from present day 'Azaad' J & K . 1965 has been discussed here more than enough times for you and other Pakistanis to learn and accept that Armed conflict and covert involvement was always a viable option for wresting Kashmir for your leadership . If there is a Muslim constituency in Kashmir valley dissatisfied with GOI for not letting them express their Right to Self-Determination then let it be between them and the GoI .
I know you will again go back to the old assertion that Kashmir is dispute between three parties and not two . Well , then let me remind you that Kashmir ( rather J & K ) itself is not a single homogeneous constituency and the solution for J & K cannot be decided as per the whims and aspirations of Muslim Kashmiris ONLY .

Any constituency having sympathy with the Pakistani view on Kashmir that evolves from TNT is unacceptable to GOI and Indians . Don't blame GOI when it flexes its muscle in containing the militancy and secessionists .

Back
Top Bottom