What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
@Scrumpy,
One more thing; it is easy to sit in UK and talk of all the liberty and equality and rights that democracy is supposed to provide when your residing country's soldiers are fighting for all that you speak of thousands of miles away. It takes more than just a few intellectual words to walk your talk by living in a place where terrorism is almost a few miles away from your doorstep.

You mean only soldiers can be patriotic? I am sure the guys who were involved in the Adarsh Housing society scam are also patriotic in the terms you put it in.

What do you know about me which gives you the right to attack me personally?
My home town is Mumbai. It is the city which has had the most terrorist attacks in India. My parents still stay in Mumbai. I have been to all those places those terrorists attacked except for Chabad house. I have stayed at the Taj in the same old wing where the terrorists ran amok in those 3-4 days.
You think I don't know what these terrorist attacks felt like?

Last edited:
See the fact is Freedom of Speech must be withheld with utmost respect! Today they are finding Arundhuti a traitor, tomorrow it will be people protesting against atrocities done to tribals, then it will be people who don't buy their ideology, not long after they will get me under their clutch.

As they say, Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels. How different are these guys from the Taliban who with their skewed sense of religious righteousness think that it is all right to kill some one who do not agree with them.

^
You're going over the top by comparing a few smashed flower pots to the Taliban.

Please read that bit again. I am not comparing flowerpots to the Taliban.

I am saying that the idea that it is ok to kill someone just because they don't agree with you is similar to that of the Taliban's.

scrumpy said:
^^ you have no comprehension skills.
^^
And you're a self righteous pseudo intellectual :rolleyes:

We can play these games all day you know

Last edited:
I agree with scrumpy's points. IMHO, you people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

We, as a nation, are progressing towards a mature democracy. In such a scenario, there should be no place for suppression of human rights or suppression of freedoms of speech. However, there are laws which limit those in the greater interest of national security and day to day peace of the nation.

If a political party had made similar comments like those of Ms AR, THAT would be sedition - an offence under Indian Penal Code! However, there is place in our democracy for crazy people - the self appointed intellectuals like Ms AR - who can support extremist ideologies. You will be surprised how many of our intelleligentsia support the naxalites and yet they walk and talk free. These people do not make laws, neither do they have political base to gather support for their "ideologies". Their ideologies remain just theories. There is state machinery which sees to it that such ideologies, if extremist, do not manifest themselves practically.

So let her speak. The GoI has taken a sound decision to ignore her, implying that she is just another idiot sitting on an apparent high moral horse! But that does not leave her immune from PILs from concerned citizens and the law will look into the concerns of the citizens. There are already several PILs filed against her, her hands are going to be full for quite sometime. Remember Medha Patkar and her idiotic Narmada bacho andolan? Once a media darling, she was dropped like a hot potato after the Govt won the case to go ahead with the project. A similar fate awaits our Ms Roy. A media whore that she is, she better publish a good novel for all the adoration and attention, lest she disappears from the public eye.

As for Kashmir, India needs to deal with it with an iron hand inside a velvet glove, albeit more tactfully and tastefully than anything GoI has done before.

Diwali is to be celebrated with fireworks in the open, not inside the forum and most of those going off here smells quite awful. Wait for a day, we can have plenty of fireworks going off after the visit of the great one. No need to exhaust your supplies now.

Well let me clarify my stance.

I'm not the one making the calls to kill her, but I do agree that we're not the 'Torchbearers of Democracy' at-least not yet.

That is the domain of the US, to lecture countries about morality and if they disagree then 'bomb them with democracy'. Nehru tried moral lectures but he didn't have a big danda (like the US)

Take the case of Burma, either we can keep criticizing it for HR violations and stop diplomatic contact or we can be (as we have ) more pragmatic.

Of course, doing silly things like killing/jailing Roy, will making a martyr of a moron

Last edited:
As for Kashmir, India needs to deal with it with an iron hand inside a velvet glove, albeit more tactfully and tastefully than anything GoI has done before.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

enlighten me further; or do you mean to imply 20% increase in sexual crimes against Kashmiri women, 50% increase in curfews, and 55-60% increase in fake encounters and quota-based killings

lets hear about this ''velvet glove'' because so far, sounds more like brass knuckles on largely peaceful demonstrators who happen to abhor hindustany military occupation in the disputed territory

enlighten me further; or do you mean to imply 20% increase in sexual crimes against Kashmiri women, 50% increase in curfews, and 55-60% increase in fake encounters and quota-based killings

lets hear about this ''velvet glove'' because so far, sounds more like brass knuckles on largely peaceful demonstrators who happen to abhor hindustany military occupation in the disputed territory

Got a troll itch, I presume. Did you read the part where I mentioned "than anything GoI has done before"? As for the numbers that you came up with, were they published in any newspapers on the planet Uranus?

I do not make policies. Hence I cannot give you any better ideas about what GoI has to do, than what people have already debated. There are far more educated and capable people in positions of power in India who can think about what to do. Hopefully, they do their work better this time around.

@Subramaniam

The thread is not Hindu vs Muslim. It is Secularism vs religious fanaticism . I would like to know which side you are in.

This is like nuclear disarmament.You first,me later or rather never.

This is Hindu vs Muslim,that is Hindu vs Muslim and everything in South Asia is Hindu vs Muslim.This problem ll always exist as long as the semitic,organized book religions insist on oneupmanship and conversion of unorganized pagan faiths,hindus(non muslim,christians of Bharat) have no choice but to get polarized.

Secularism is a fancy adjective for arm chair idealists and people who dont have to toil to make a living.This doesn't mean minorities should get slaughtered or isolated or anything.

But i am tired of the pseudo secularist dickheads sucking up to muslims and keeping them purposefully weakened to create a votebank.

If people want to have secularism,religion has to come next after culture.Mecca cant come above India,It has to be country first,religion next.Those who cant think like that can go to Mecca only.

Hinduism doesn't tell me about one god,his name and all that.It says Aham Brahmasmi,the soul is inside me and my clear conscience and self righteousness is my god.There is no problem for me in putting country first because my religion gives me full freedom to explore possibilities.

It has become so sad that a devout muslim is a religious guy but a devout hindu is a RSS guy.

AK-47s and grenades and communal ethnic cleansing is peaceful for you... not by our standards.

toss the brass knuckles and the torn garden gloves, agree with your neighbours to hold a free and fair plebicite whereby Kashmiris have the (existential) right to determine their fate.

it's really not so complicated, provided you don't convolute things and make issues out of non-issues

when you reply, you will talk about pandits; my pre-designated response will be to encourage them to go back to the disputed territory if they so desire; non-Muslim groups are existing there as well and they aren't having any harassment by those ''ISI sponsored'' ''trouble-makers'' (AKA the indigenous Kashmiri Muslims)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom