What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Omar Abdullah invited to have dinner with Obama

Published: Friday, Nov 5, 2010, 1:56 IST

The Centre has invited Omar Abdullah to break bread with Barack Obama. The invite comes at a time when separatists are trying to convince the US president to intervene in the Kashmir issue.

“Omar has given his consent and will be joining the dinner with Obama,” a source close to the Jammu and Kashmir chief minister said.

The separatists have launched the “Quit Kashmir” programme on a full scale to make it more visible during the US president’s visit. Moderates, too, are trying their best to persuade Obama to utter the K-word.

Moderate Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has intensified its signature campaign to persuade US to resolve the issue.

Omar Abdullah invited to have dinner with Obama - India - DNA

@Subramaniam

The thread is not Hindu vs Muslim. It is Secularism vs religious fanaticism . I would like to know which side you are in.

Basically Jinnah desperately wanted Kashmir to be a part of Pakistan as many rivers flow into Pakistan through this region.

If India controls this region then India can choke Pakistan anytime by redirecting the water,building dams etc.

So,yes,it is true,that Pakistan needs Kashmir to be their territory in order to be self sufficient.

But saying that Pakistan will be incomplete without freedom of Kashmir,is like hiding behind ambiguity.

Only if Muslims again rule india like we did for over 1000 years.

We are ready. lol merge first than see what happens...... :azn:

My place even now 'ruled' by a Muslim!!!! The MP of my locality is a Muslim. :hitwall:

BTW you got the number wrong, its not 1000 years, its 5000 years from the days of Indus civilizations. And other Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs from India were watching you doing so. lol

Yes like all Muslim majority regions in South Asia, Kashmir is beautiful Masha'Allah.

So Muslims live only in beautiful places??? eye aadmi kaha se aya hein???? :lol:

Last edited:
1947 : Pakistan incomplete without Kashmir

2010 : Pakistan incomplete without freedom of Kashmir .

the change speaks a lot of words.

US know they have earned the wrath of worldwide Muslim community. US know the consequences of Iraq and Afghanistan wars could be serious. They fear Muslim retaliation.

US plan to appease this Muslim anger by meddling in the Kashmir issue. For that they are paying Kashmiris and asking them to be invited as mediators.

Kashmiris do want to separate from India but seeking US help was not there idea. They could have wrested independence all by themselves.

This hogwash about Kashmiris looking for US intervention is all American manipulation.

And though Indian military is capable of beating US they won’t do so. Indian military is god damn corrupt and they are going to get US citizenship as bribe.

There is a hope if Dr. Manmohan Singh seeks Russia’s help.

Too much weed is bad for health :lol:

karthic-sri-albums-mine-picture3893-weed.jpg

I highly doubt Indian army is able to beat US...

And the way we Muslims are right now, I don't think we will 'retaliate'.

But that above comment was pure trolling.

I highly doubt Indian army is able to beat US...

And the way we Muslims are right now, I don't think we will 'retaliate'.

But that above comment was pure trolling.

Mine was trolling..??lol....

US know they have earned the wrath of worldwide Muslim community. US know the consequences of Iraq and Afghanistan wars could be serious. They fear Muslim retaliation

This is not trolling ?

US plan to appease this Muslim anger by meddling in the Kashmir issue. For that they are paying Kashmiris and asking them to be invited as mediators.

About this ?

Kashmiris do want to separate from India but seeking US help was not there idea. They could have wrested independence all by themselves.

LMAO

This hogwash about Kashmiris looking for US intervention is all American manipulation.

:woot:

And though Indian military is capable of beating US they won’t do so. Indian military is god damn corrupt and they are going to get US citizenship as bribe.

:hang2:

And you are calling my post as troll. :lol:

Anyway,My mistake in replying to this thread.....Im off :wave:

Wow! Sorry buddy, even the world torchbearer of democracy the US has twisted laws to fit its needs so why not us? And if you didn't know that, our top command does do that sometimes. It is called realpolitik. The world doesn't go on idealism, bro. It runs on self-interest and as long as self-interest is there, there's all these "principles". The moment it is compromised, everything changes about any country.

Rather than being "disgusted" with me, come down from la-la land and smell the coffee; world isn't as rose-tinted as you think it is.

Ohh spare me your 'You can't handle the truth' speech.

Our democracy is based on the laws set out in the constitution. This guaranties out freedoms which applies to every one equally. Just because you don't like a few Indians, it doesn't mean that our constitution has shunned them.

If people like you start thinking that subverting the constitution for a few special cases is OK, our country will fall down faster then a deck of cards. Thankfully, there are a lot more sane people in the country who will not let that happen.

Here is a quote from a German pastor about the silence of German intellectuals when the Nazis did what they did.

--
They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.
--

Hitler thought that by getting rid of the jews, he was serving his own country. Are you any different in your thinking in this matter?

So USA is gonna invade and "liberate" Kashmir, hand it over to pious Pakistan, while corrupt Indian Army stands there and waits for 1 million green cards ?

eagle_bird_lol_epic.jpg

Arundhati Roy's house attacked

By Andrew Buncombe, Asia Correspondent

Monday, 1 November 2010

Dozens of right-wing activists attacked and vandalised the house of Booker prize-winning writer Arundhati Roy over comments she made suggesting Kashmir had never been an integral part of India.

Up to 100 activists, most of them members of the women’s wing of a Hindu-nationalist political party, gathered outside Ms Roy’s home in Delhi and starting damaging flower-pots. Security guards along with some of Ms Roy’s domestic servants prevented the demonstrators from entering the house.

Last night, Ms Roy, who was not at home at the time of the attack condemned the activists but also questioned the role of the broadcast media, as TV crews had been present at her home, apparently tipped off about the protest.

“What is the nature of the agreement between these sections of the media and mobs and criminals in search of spectacle? Does the media which positions itself at the “scene” in advance have a guarantee that the attacks and demonstrations will be non-violent? What happens if there is criminal trespass or even something worse,” Ms Roy said in a statement. “Does the media then become accessory to the crime? This question is important, given that some TV channels and newspapers are in the process of brazenly inciting mob anger against me. In the race for sensationalism the line between reporting news and manufacturing news is becoming blurred.”

The demonstration by members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) followed comments Ms Roy last month at a public seminar on Kashmir. During the meeting in Delhi, she said the long-disputed Kashmir region had never been an integral part of India. “Even the Indian government has accepted this. Why are we trying to change this now,” the activist and author The God of Small Things, had said.

India’s political opposition immediately leapt on the comments and demanded that she be charged with sedition. While the law ministry took advice on the issue, the government eventually decided not to proceed with charges against the writer.

Last night, police in Delhi said they were investigating the attack on Ms Roy’s house, located in the city’s diplomatic quarter. Meanwhile, Shika Roy, president of the local women’s wing of the BJP and who led the protest, told reporters: “The protest was organised against Arundhati Roy's remarks on azadi for Kashmir. We chose to protest on Sunday as it happens to be the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel who united the whole country.”

Ms Roy’s comments on Kashmir come after months of turmoil in the valley, where fresh demonstrations for autonomy broke out in in June. The once-independent kingdom has been fought over since 1947 when its Hindu ruler decided the Muslim majority state should join independent India, rather than the newly-created Pakistan. An insurgency that gathered pace after India rigged elections in 1987, combined with an unrelenting response from the Indian authorities that has transformed Kashmir into one of the most militarised places on the planet, has led to the deaths of more than 70,000 people. Most Hindus were forced out or fled. For many years, Pakistan provided weapons and training to many of the Kashmiri militants.

The government has recently appointed three interlocuters to meet with the valley’s separatists but even that has not been without controversy. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was forced to defend the trio after they said that Pakistan needed to be involved in any resolution for the disputed region – something that infuriated th2 BJP. Mr Singh later said: “Comments in a democracy are free.”

Arundhati Roy's house attacked - Asia, World - The Independent

I see why people call India the world's largest "democracy".

Who are India's real traitors?
Who are India's real traitors? | Indra Sinha | Comment is free | The Guardian

The writer Arundhati Roy, once a national heroine for being the first Indian to win the Booker prize, today finds herself a reviled figure. The demonisation of Roy has taken just over a decade, and many will tell you it's her own fault. She just won't stop opening her mouth and saying uncomfortable things.

Roy's latest sin was to express her doubts about India's right to rule Kashmir. It's a rule enforced by 700,000 soldiers and, by all accounts, most ordinary Kashmiris want them gone. They are calling for azaadi, the freedom to determine their own future via the plebiscite called for in UN resolution 47, which since 1948 India has ignored.

Roy evidently thinks this offers a better way forward than the present violent stalemate. This is her personal opinion, but after daring to express it, politicians, media and public figures have called for her to be prosecuted for treason. There are rumours that charges are imminent. Times Now TV ran a story "Net closing in on Roy", as if she were bandit queen Phoolan Devi. She deserves the death penalty, say some, for showing sympathy to Maoists and advocating the secession of Kashmir from India. Note that word, "secession".

Watching from across the world, I've been appalled as one Indian intellectual after another queues up to call for limits to freedom of speech and to have a go at "this author-turned-rabble-rouser", this "one-book wonder". I am amazed at the violence of their rhetoric, and their eagerness to give away their democratic rights. I was seriously scared for her safety when I heard that her house had been attacked by a stone-throwing mob.

Roy is married to Pradip Krishen, an old schoolfriend of mine, and in 2008 I had dinner with them in Delhi. We talked about Krishnen's book, Trees of Delhi; about my work campaigning with the Bhopalis over the past 15 years; and Roy's work with the anti-dam campaign in Gujarat, which after years of struggle was unable to prevent hundreds of thousands of tribal people being forced off their land. We also talked about central India, where tribal people had been brutalised and driven from their forests so their lands could be handed over to mining corporations and steel-makers, and where the failure of laws, media and politicians to protect people's lives and fundamental rights had bred a full-scale Maoist insurrection.

We discussed the futility of using Gandhian forms of protest in modern India. My Bhopali friends were just about to set out on a 500-mile walk to Delhi (the second in two years) to ask the prime minister to honour promises he had made on the previous occasion and not kept. I said that I feared the long walk would get little attention, that the subsequent sit-in would be ignored by ministers, and that a hunger strike was inevitable.

In the silence that followed, our thoughts trespassed on the borders of forbidden territory, not quite daring to confront that taboo question: when all peaceful attempts at protest are ignored, or worse, crushed; when laws are twisted, broken or brushed aside as if they don't matter; when people who speak up are intimidated, imprisoned or killed, what should we do?

People are rightly scared to face this question, and it's the one question that modern India must answer. Roy's frustration and anger have led her to speak bluntly. People can't bear to hear what she is saying, so instead of listening they find fault with her voice, her attitude.

Why does she make such a fuss? Things can't be so bad, surely. Last week the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport tourer was launched in India for a mere £2.2m. "India is the hub of luxury, the country of the erstwhile maharajas," said Bugatti's Julius Kruta. "I think this launch will truly delight our discerning audience."

Well that's all right then. As for the masses, they can go hang themselves. Literally. And they do. But there's no need to worry about the thousands of farm suicides because, with a population of 1 billion, the per capita farm suicide rate is not as high as in the UK. And if 85% of India's population is shut out of its shining economic miracle, that still leaves 15% of 1 billion, which is a huge market in anyone's terms. When India's middle classes accuse Roy of promoting "secession", it is a huge double irony, for she has indeed talked of secession.

In an interview with the magazine, Tehelka, she said: "What we're witnessing is the most successful secessionist struggle ever waged in independent India – the secession of the middle and upper classes from the rest of the country. It's a vertical secession, not a lateral one. They're fighting for the right to merge with the world's elite somewhere up there in the stratosphere."

Who are the real traitors?

It is India's wealthy elite that is turning its back on the nation and its people, not Arundhati Roy

Roy is not a traitor.

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom