What's new

Karnataka corner!

It is not all that rare, especially among the non-English speaking folks in India. Saw this Banjara lady speaking Danish in Goa to a gori. I asked her if the lady was from Germany, she said no, from Denmark. Then an English guy turned up and this lady was speaking highly polished English with him. She later told me she speaks all European languages.

It is not all that rare, especially among the non-English speaking folks in India. Saw this Banjara lady speaking Danish in Goa to a gori. I asked her if the lady was from Germany, she said no, from Denmark. Then an English guy turned up and this lady was speaking highly polished English with him. She later told me she speaks all European languages.
great....but I am a language freak...
had tried to learn..french and Spanish...and ended up mixing both......
in the end my adventure ended in disaster...:sad::cray:

great....but I am a language freak...
had tried to learn..french and Spanish...and ended up mixing both......
in the end my adventure ended in disaster...:sad::cray:

You are in good company, a lot of the new generation in India are in the same boat.

especially after his outburst against VS Naipaul.

It was not only him, but a great poet from Naipaul's land who had a problem with him.

Don't know if you have heard of Derek Walcott.

Regarding Pratap simha's articles, I'm not sure you're missing anything, since I feel he lifts opinions from other columns and disguises them as his own(just my observation). But S.L.Bhyrappa, YES, You're missing something there. My parents are avid readers of his works and I've read 5-6 of his books too. There's no one like him in Kannada literature. A pity that the supposed Right-Wing content in his works has denied him a highly deserving Jnanpith Prashasti.

what a stupid reason. V.S. Naipaul for example got away with a lot when he said controversial things.

@Indischer how many languages are there in Karnataka.

Hi Kseeker! Tumba khushi aytu nimmanna matte nodi! aagaaga barta iri alla, harate hodiyoke at least. :(

What did Kseeker say? Translate please :-)

Last edited:
It was not only him, but a great poet from Naipaul's land who had a problem with him.

what a stupid reason. V.S. Naipaul for example got away with a lot when he said controversial things.

@Indischer how many languages are there in Karnataka.

What did Kseeker say? Translate please :-)

kseeker said he was leaving for good and if one wanted to speak with him, he was reachable in another forum:-)

Regarding languages, it varies from scholar to scholar, depending on where he/she chooses to draw the line and consider a dialect as a separate language. But by popular approval, there may be 5, namely Kannada, Tulu, Konkani, Kodava Takk and Beary bashe. Kannada itself has at least a dozen dialects.

kseeker said he was leaving for good and if one wanted to speak with him, he was reachable in another forum:-)

Regarding languages, it varies from scholar to scholar, depending on where he/she chooses to draw the line and consider a dialect as a separate language. But by popular approval, there may be 5, namely Kannada, Tulu, Konkani, Kodava Takk and Beary bashe. Kannada itself has at least a dozen dialects.

An article for you! At HOME - The Hindu

If I ever come back to India, I will open a Jazz themed bar in seaside in Kochi or Kovalam.

And it will be targeted towards Indians. And get some New Orleans Music a well.

@Indischer what do you feel about V.S. Naipaul ?

He is still one of my favorite authors. But then He had that spat with Derek Walcott (who also happens to be one of my favorite poets).

:undecided:

Last edited:
@Indischer what do you feel about V.S. Naipaul ?

He is still one of my favorite authors. But then He had that spat with Derek Walcott (who also happens to be one of my favorite poets).

:undecided:

TBH, I haven't read many of Naipaul's works. I read his India:A million mutinies now, and wasn't all happy with his writing style and alarmism, almost stating that India of old was better than the India of today(which I definitely don't agree with). It remains his only book that I have completely read. He's frank though, which I like. His writing style wasn't in sync with my tastes. :unsure:

TBH, I haven't read many of Naipaul's works. I read his India:A million mutinies now, and wasn't all happy with his writing style and alarmism, almost stating that India of old was better than the India of today(which I definitely don't agree with). It remains his only book that I have completely read. He's frank though, which I like. His writing style wasn't in sync with my tastes. :unsure:

Read C.L.R. James books on cricket. They are brilliant :-)

Are any Kannada literary work translated :)

I assume a few good ones would've been translated. S L Bhyrappa's Parva, Aavarana and Kavalu have been translated for sure. They're excellent works in Kannada, but I'm not sure how good their translations will be.

I liked reading the works of another author, Poornachandra Tejaswi. Particularly liked his Karvalo and Chidambara Rahasya. I don't know if any of his original works have been translated or not.

No I have not heard of Derek Walcott, but I will side with Naipual any day over the likes of Karnad.

I assume a few good ones would've been translated. S L Bhyrappa's Parva, Aavarana and Kavalu have been translated for sure. They're excellent works in Kannada, but I'm not sure how good their translations will be.

I liked reading the works of another author, Poornachandra Tejaswi. Particularly liked his Karvalo and Chidambara Rahasya. I don't know if any of his original works have been translated or not.
No I have not heard of Derek Walcott, but I will side with Naipual any day over the likes of Karnad.
grouphug.gif

Back
Top Bottom