What's new

Karnataka corner!

Would a guy who does not know Malayalam but knows English well find it hard in Kerala then? In most parts of Karnataka, Hindi or English are also enough to survive relatively fine.

No, English should be fine, You have to remember that Kerala receives one of the highest amount of foreign visitors too.

Stick to the Urban centres.

If you know Tamil, Keralites can understand you still.

I can still watch Tamil movies without subtitles and know approximately 70% of the dialogues.

Not with Kannada though. I understood 30% of Lucia, but that was understanding through inferences.

Subtitles helped.

@Indischer @JanjaWeed seems like this thread needs some juice.
Divya%2B_Spandana%2BNew%2B_Hot_%2BPhoto%2B_Stills%2B%25283%2529.jpg

want more Juice ???:smitten:

Unfortunately I can never understand the lyrics in Kannada. I love the melody though.

Are you still weak in Kannada?:frown:

The lyrics have a lot of Sanskritic wordings and references to our history. Not very easy to understand on first contact. :-)

Are you still weak in Kannada?:frown:

The lyrics have a lot of Sanskritic wordings and references to our history. Not very easy to understand on first contact. :-)

Yah I am quite weak :cry:. I grew up listening to Marathi patriotic songs and Kannada devotional songs. Cannot follow much of kannada news too. I get some of it and the gist of it, but that is it. I need to constantly ask my family about what they are about.

Last edited:
Yah I am quite weak :cry:. I grew up listening to Marathi patriotic songs and Kannada devotional songs.

I thought you'd be fluent in it by now. Don't you speak Kannada at home? At least on the flip side, you know Marathi well. :-)

I thought you'd be fluent in it by now. Don't you speak Kannada at home? At least on the flip side, you know Marathi well. :-)
I speak Kannada quite okay. I can manage quite well with my family and friends. But that is not the same as Kannada literature. Like I did not know the word for a farmer in Kannada or the difference between field and a plantation. Many such things which generally do not come up in daily conversations. Unfortunately my Marathi is equally weak.

Back
Top Bottom