What's new

Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia's torture: Violations by Pakistan unacceptable

[4:107] Do not argue on behalf of those who have wronged their own souls; GOD does not love any betrayer, guilty.
[4:108] They hide from the people, and do not care to hide from GOD, though He is with them as they harbor ideas He dislikes. GOD is fully aware of everything they do.

[60:8] GOD does not enjoin you from befriending those who do not fight you because of religion, and do not evict you from your homes. You may befriend them and be equitable towards them. GOD loves the equitable.

[60:9] GOD enjoins you only from befriending those who fight you because of religion, evict you from your homes, and band together with others to banish you. You shall not befriend them. Those who befriend them are the transgressors.

The Elders spoke to Gilgamesh, saying:
"Gilgamesh, do not put your trust in (just) your vast strength,
but keep a sharp eye out, make each blow strike in mark!
'The one who goes on ahead saves the comrade."
'The one who knows the route protects his friend.'
Let Enkidu go ahead of you;
he knows the road to the Cedar Forest,
he has seen fighting, has experienced battle.
Enkidu will protect the friend, will keep the comrade safe.
Let his body urge him back to the wives."

From the Epic of Gilgamesh, tablet 3.

Since it seems that spouting scriptures seems to be the flavor of the season, I thought we should start off with the oldest of them all.

Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia's torture: Violations by Pakistan unacceptable, says government | NDTV.com

New Delhi: The father of Kargil martyr Captain Saurabh Kalia, who was made captive and subjected to brutal torture by the Pakistan Army in 1999, has moved the Supreme Court seeking its direction to the Union Government to take up his son's case at the International Court of Justice.

In his petition to the Supreme Court, Dr. NK Kalia, a retired scientist, has asked the Indian Government to get Pakistan to apologise for the incident, alleging that the latter violated all norms of the Geneva Convention that charts out protocols for treatment meted out of prisoners of war.

While terming the violations as "completely unacceptable", the government said that it would do "whatever is possible" in the case. "Whatever is possible would be done but I do not want to give you a commitment now of any nature of what is possible or what is being done...This is a matter we have taken up at the highest level over the years and we have not yet been able to get adequate stands of the matter being addressed, that is absolutely true," said External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.

The Kalias have been waging a lonely battle for justice for their son, who was a victim of war atrocities.

Captain Kalia, of the 4 Jat Regiment, was the first army officer to report the incursion by the Pakistani Army on Indian soil. He along with five soldiers - sepoys Arjun Ram, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria, Bhika Ram, Moola Ram and Naresh Singh - were on a patrol of the Bajrang Post in the Kaksar sector of Jammu and Kashmir when they were taken captive by Pakistani troops May 15, 1999.

They were tortured for weeks before being killed. Their mutilated bodies were handed over to the Indian authorities on June 9 that year.

The elderly couple, settled in his tea garden town, about 120 km from the state capital Shimla, wants the Indian government to highlight the atrocities committed by the Pakistani Army internationally.

British lawyer of Indian origin Jas Uppal, who has launched an international campaign to highlight the plight of Saurabh and five other soldiers, has been helping the Kalias to petition the Supreme Court.

She has been demanding the blacklisting of Pakistan for the purpose of giving international aid.

India and Pakistan fought a limited war over the icy heights of Kargil in Jammu and Kashmir in May-July 1999. India took back all the positions that had been occupied by the Pakistani Army.

India lost 527 soldiers and Pakistan upwards of 700 men.

(With IANS inputs)

There are several professionals here, from India && Pakistan.
They would tell you that none of the two armies have these malpractices.

commanding officers on both sides play by the rules; they respect property or avoid death where it is avoidable.

NDTV, like other Indian TV channels are just venting heat for cheap publicity.

commanding officers on both sides play by the rules; they respect property or avoid death where it is avoidable.

I would point out that the act was done by the northern light infantry, which did not belong to the army at that time. Maybe they had different traditions and training and less professionalism than the army. Also, they were mingling and chumming up with Islamic outfits and mujahideen, who as some here have virtually admitted, are not expected to play by standards that humanity sets itself to.

Also, the Bangladeshis (real world ones, not the ones on PDF) might have a different take on what your armymen are capable of. With respect to India, I think the pak armymen have played by the rules for the most part, as you say.

Another example of well treated Pakistan army soldier

sipahi+maqbool+hussain.jpg

it was a crime of highest order by pakistan's army ! just like me of nazi's concentration camps ! why should we follow geneva convention if pakistanis do not !

Err.. The ones occupying the Kargil peaks were terrorists and not Pakistani army... They surely acted like terrorists :)

Or may be transport them in a garbage truck for that burial. !!

You guys disowned the very same soldiers that fought for your nation and laid down their lives in Kargil. Being a nation that does not want to take back its own dead soldiers, you guys should be the last ones talking...

Its not the Indian media. Read the report again. Its their family/parents, that received dead mutilated bodies of their son...

Why blame Pak ?

The GOI needs to act, Pak took India to the international court on the shooting down of the Atlantique aircraft in Gujarat. The court did not accept its plea as the aircraft was shot over Indian territory.

Similarly, GOI must take this case to the international court. If not, then we have to lump it.

This time however, I think thanks to the media things may move - more so if the opposition makes an issue out of it.

Err.. The ones occupying the Kargil peaks were terrorists and not Pakistani army... They surely acted like terrorists :)

dude what are you taliking about ! a soldier was even captured alive with his official army id if i remember correctly ! there is another thread in forum ! if pakistan leaves its men behind to be treated as garbage doesn't deny them a status of soldiers which they were !

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-history-strategy/81462-pakistan-lists-kargil-war-dead.html

edit: oh was that sarcasm :what:

you mean he is alive, and not shot in mouth like CAPT. AJAYA AHUJA ? and hence ill treated ?

Khalid Mehmood was shot.... and tortured to death.... Remember him? and he wasn't even a soldier.....

Wah!!!!! 13 years later?

sounds like a bunch of lotas to me......no need to take them seriously.

worthy of mention:

apart from Pakistani POWs (some of whom were named by my comrades here)--

the indians were targeting civilian railway cars in '65 --- as a "revenge" for PAF's precision attacks on indian MILITARY army trucks/flat-beds/armored vehicles

I do have fond memories of a mid-day brunch with a PAF pilot (long ago retired). He now lives a retired, low-key life in Canada......I'll ask him whether it's okay I list his name here or not.

He was shot down over enemy territory in 71, taken POW. When he was flying in the air with his indian captives, he requested that they remove the blind-fold from his head (he had already been slapped around a little bit by enemy personnel but maintained his cool --as per his training)

he laughs even today when he tells the story....he started peering down very curiously out of the window of the transport aircraft he was in......the enemy indian personnel were quite puzzled -- demanding to know why he keeps looking outside of the window of the plane with so much enthusiasm

his response was short and simple to follow....

"I want to get a rough idea of some of the territory below us so that I will know where I will be dropping bombs once I report back to AHQ."

While he unfortunately didn't get to do more flying missions over enemy territory during the war -- he did remain with PAF until retirement in 1987. He left the service with 2 confirmed kills, 3 or 4 damaged enemy aircrafts.

these bloody indians were targetting civilian railway cars in '65 --- as a "revenge" for PAF's precision attacks on indian MILITARY army trucks/flat-beds/armored vehicles
this is kind of rare--- but this thread did manage to push my buttons....so i'll end the day with a f*ck you and a have a nice day.
lotas...
When the most senior posters post in such way, I think the normal posters from Pakistan show quite a restraint. More respect to these regular members. :D

lol the same Indian soldiers were committing crimes against occupied Kashmiris...good news If they tortured them good before sending them to hell .. :D

When the most senior posters post in such way, I think the normal posters from Pakistan show quite a restraint. More respect to these regular members. :D

To his credit, he has mellowed down from racial slurs to just uncivil language, so that's good ;)

and about 13 years later, looks like there is Statute of limitations in Pakistan for murder and torture.. :D

Back
Top Bottom