What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

Nope. K8 has been abandoned by PAC. THere is a lot of potential but it has taken 2nd fiddle.
So, is PAF interested in something like:

M345 for Basic & Intermediate Jet Trainers
M346 for Advance Jet Trainers

Nope. K8 has been abandoned by PAC. THere is a lot of potential but it has taken 2nd fiddle.

In my humble opinion, the main problem with K-8 is Speed. Ideally, you need a trans-sonic or supersonic aircraft for a "Lead-in" fighter trainer. Often an advanced trainer able to fly at least at 1000 Km per hour if not more; K-8 at max 800 Km/H top speed is too slow.

A more powerful engine may solve the problem, but it may require too much effort and expense, and the results are not guaranteed. It is probable that PAF planners think an off-shelf advanced trainer is a better option.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, the main problem with K-8 is Speed. Ideally, you need a trans-sonic or supersonic aircraft for a "Lead-in" fighter trainer. Often an advanced trainer able to fly at least at 1000 Km per hour if not more; K-8 at mx 800 Km/H top speed is too slow.

A more powerful engine may solve the problem, but it may require too much effort and expense, and the results are not guaranteed. It probable that PAF planners think an off-shelf advanced trainer is a better option.

From an industry prespective, this platform is a very good seller and continues to sell even today. If you look at how the Safari was modified and improved; there is no reason why it cannot be done so here. Note - I am drawing a distinction between PAC - the actual engineering works vs the user - PAF. Continous development is part of the process.

Even with off the shelf, it will not give you any benefit from local manufacturing, it is the same problem area back to square one.

Last edited:
K8 with L-15 ...a nice training and light attack combination. One is subsonic and other is supersonic.

View attachment 132241

View attachment 132242
L15 is cute bird, but K8 can accommodate bigger radar then L15 and also more room for modification. K8 was designed for American engine ,The K-8 is powered by a single Garrett TFE731-2A-2A turbofan engine designed and built by Honeywell Aerospace. The engine generates 16.01kN of thrust. It features a single-stage high-pressure turbine, a three-stage low-pressure turbine, annular combustors, digital electronic engine control (DEEC) and a single centrifugal high-pressure compressor stage.
Where L15 is powered by two Ivchenko Progress AI-222K-25F afterburning turbofan engines. Each engine can generate 4,200kg of thrust afterburner.

They are also engineers they have to be. Many with advanced degrees including Phds.
Sorry... they need to be doing their job what they are supposed to do... focus on flying and maintenance. Manufacturing... so my dear watson. they are now going to be doing engine design etc etc. wow. Amazing high pedestal you are putting these dodo birds with a change on job description.

no further discussion. back to K8.

Sorry... they need to be doing their job what they are supposed to do... focus on flying and maintenance. Manufacturing... so my dear watson. they are now going to be doing engine design etc etc. wow. Amazing high pedestal you are putting these dodo birds with a change on job description.

no further discussion. back to K8.
Well they worked with China to create the JF17 with more than 100 flying, they have exported 100s of Mashaks including to your country, they have kept 50 year old Mirages contemporary battle worthy. You are talking about Pakistan, our private or the civilian public sector does not have the capacity to manage such projects. If PAF didn’t do it nobody else would have. Maybe it can be corporatized in the future. Coming from a country without a serious airforce and which was not able to export even one of its indigenous attack helicopters you should avoid making sweeping, ill informed statements. Your post are usually good but this time you distinctly reminded me of the village idiot on this forum I.e Mastaan Khan

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom