What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

26815350_547201352311415_4140999153162376988_n.jpg

I think a new version of K-8 can be the best choice.
  • Composites
  • Improved engine
  • Improve Avionics
  • Radar & FLIR
  • IFR
  • Increased Hardpoints to 7
  • Landing Gear similar to JF-17s
It can prove to be better than others.
So you want to develop a new plane? What is your demand and what are the costs of development? I suspect you will be wasting a lot of money to get substandard platform at a very high cost. But do your sums and come back and we can talk more.
A

Last edited:
I think a new version of K-8 can be the best choice.
  • Composites
  • Improved engine
  • Improve Avionics
  • Radar & FLIR
  • IFR
  • Increased Hardpoints to 7
  • Landing Gear similar to JF-17s
It can prove to be better than others.
The closest Pakistan/China might get to with the K-8 is the L-39NG.

Basically, the goal would be to extend the life of the K-8 via re-manufacturing, albeit through newer manufacturing processes and improved quality control. They can look at including some composites. The main goal would be to update the avionics such that the K-8 has an operating environment similar to the JF-17 (increase familiarity with the Thunder). Besides all that, there isn't much to do to improve the K-8, hardly any engines more efficient in this weight and power-class than the Honeywell. As for IFR, radar, increasing hardpoints, etc, all inconsequential.

Basically, the goal would be to extend the life of the K-8 via re-manufacturing, albeit through newer manufacturing processes and improved quality control. They can look at including some composites. The main goal would be to update the avionics such that the K-8 has an operating environment similar to the JF-17 (increase familiarity with the Thunder). Besides all that, there isn't much to do to improve the K-8, hardly any engines more efficient in this weight and power-class than the Honeywell. As for IFR, radar, increasing hardpoints, etc, all inconsequential.
K8 is already rated for 8000 flight hours, if i remember correctly they mentioned it during an air show. I think that's sufficient enough, PAF is still flying Tweets so that says something about how long they can squeeze the life out of them.

Wouldn't the use of composites(and hence the change in manufacturing techniques/equipment) unnecessarily increase the cost?

It is after all a trainer and the goal here is to familiarize/train the pilot(coming from a turboprop) on a jet so that they can next move on to something like JF17. So as long as it's airframe can provide sufficient life(without modifications), there's no need to upgrade except for the avionics and possibly the engine as u mentioned.

With projects like Azm and JF17 Block III running side by side, PAF should spend every penny in a very shrewd manner.

K8 is already rated for 8000 flight hours, if i remember correctly they mentioned it during an air show. I think that's sufficient enough, PAF is still flying Tweets so that says something about how long they can squeeze the life out of them.

Wouldn't the use of composites(and hence the change in manufacturing techniques/equipment) unnecessarily increase the cost?

It is after all a trainer and the goal here is to familiarize/train the pilot(coming from a turboprop) on a jet so that they can next move on to something like JF17. So as long as it's airframe can provide sufficient life(without modifications), there's no need to upgrade except for the avionics and possibly the engine as u mentioned.

With projects like Azm and JF17 Block III running side by side, PAF should spend every penny in a very shrewd manner.
All that in mind, I guess the only thing needed is to change the K-8's cockpit so that it better prepares the pilot for what to expect on the next step (i.e. JF-17). Even the engine (Honeywell) doesn't have many options that are better in terms of efficiency and performance (at that class).

Back
Top Bottom