What's new

Karachi's elite schools say no to national anthem

the way the bharti has posted this article sounds as if it's some sort of a secession struggle. So what if people don't want to sing the national anthem? big deal. A vast of majority of American public schools don't say their Pledge Allience in the morning. Does that mean they want to be seperated from the rest of America?

Stupidity at it's best. It goes to show you what Indians desire of Pakistan. States wanting secessions, armed struggles. Even if there isn't an issue they'll make one up out of thin air and stir **** up. Truly pathetic low lives.

What is this ruckus bout? Most of the children of these "elite" schools won't understand a single word even if they sing the qomi tarana twice a day every day. We should also take into consideration that most of the parents of these children have already applied for the Canadian immigration and these children will say bye bye to Pakistan before they will be able to understand that keshwar is actually not the name of a girl.

City’s elite schools say no to national anthem

Karachi

The restive Balochistan province is not the only place where the national anthem remains barred from many of its educational institutions. Several leading elite schools of Karachi have also stopped following the tradition in their morning assemblies, calling it a “waste of time and energy.”

To the utter dismay of many parents and students, several schools, including Bayview High School, the CAS and Rhodene Academy, have either abolished the singing of the national anthem altogether, or have been doing it only once a week for the past many years.

As the regulatory authorities concerned looked the other way mainly because of the influence and connections of owners of these private schools, a tradition that ruled every school of Karachi for decades has been erased.

The schools, which abandoned the tradition of the national anthem, mostly follow the Cambridge International Examination system, catering mostly to the elite, upper-middle class and middle class families.

Nadeem Islam, vice principal of Bayview High School, said that assemblies occur in his school every day, but the national anthem is sung only once a week. “It takes too long, and wastes time that can be used in the class constructively.”

He argues that celebrating the Independence Day and teaching history are enough for the students.

The answer of the principal and owner of another private school, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, was more baffling. “I do not ask students to sing the national anthem: firstly, because it is in Urdu; secondly, I do not believe in national cohesion. What purpose does the national anthem serve? Students should be engaged in more meaningful activities.”

The principal’s obvious disdain for the national language and anthem underlines the fundamental crisis of Pakistan’s education system which remains divided not just on the class basis, but also on the ideological grounds.

Many students of these so-called modern liberal schools remain stranger to their own country, people, language and history, senior educationists say. Anwar Ahmed Zai, chairman Board of Intermediate Education, says that singing the national anthem has been a tradition at all the educational institutions since 1952, when Hafeez Jalandhri’s verses were finally selected from among many hundred entries.

“Not singing it (the national anthem) should definitely be discouraged,” he says. “The national anthem serves three main purposes: ownership of the country, unity and identity. These values can only be inculcated at a tender age, not when the children are old and have grown up thinking it as unnecessary.

“Forget schools, there was a time when movies in cinemas played after a collective national anthem was sung. If entertainment was followed by it, then educational activities should surely follow suit.”

Dr Muhammad Memon, director Institute of Education Development-Aga Khan University, believes that the national anthem should be “mandatory.”

“When we gather in the morning to sing the national anthem it is a commitment to serve the country. There is no second choice. We must do it every day.”

Professor Dr Syed Jaffar Ahmed of the Pakistan Study Centre at Karachi University says that singing the national anthem is a general practice worldwide.

“It is a beautiful composition, and a tool we desperately need in these times to maintain national identity. Those who are against the practice should reconsider their position.”

Salman Asif Siddiqui, director Education Research and Development Centre, says: “School is the only place where a child can learn the national anthem. He might not comprehend it at that age, but the tune will stick to his head, exactly like a nursery rhyme. At a later age, he can draw context from his memory.”

“It takes three minutes to sing the national anthem. Why should it be a waste of time?” says Yasmeen Qazi, the mother of a student at one such school.

Ibrahim Muzaffar, the father of another schoolchild, is also concerned. “There are certain norms that make up collective citizenship. How else will one expect students to consider themselves patriotic Pakistanis?” he asks.

“School age is the period when students can memorise the national anthem. One cannot discard everything by calling it unnecessary,” says Fariha Sanaullah, a mother of two school-going students.

“Why destroy the beautiful tradition which we have cherished as a nation for decades?“

“If a child grows up thinking the national anthem is unnecessary, he will have the same attitude towards other things, like patriotism or building one’s country,” says Farah Khan, a young mother of a three-year-old.
Sir most Pakistanis don't remember National Anthem what the hell are you talking about this is really very old

What happened to Razpak's phone conversation that was supposed to be uploaded.. I was waiting for some good ol entertainment... Desi Ishtyle..!! :toast_sign: :tongue:

Bayview High and CAS - hardly elite, more new money. Don't have their priorities right. If that's how these principals think, we can guess how the students think.

What is Rhodene? Never heard of it.

The real elite schools - Grammar and all the Convents in Karachi - still have the national anthem routine everyday.

Bayview High and CAS - hardly elite, more new money. Don't have their priorities right. If that's how these principals think, we can guess how the students think.

What is Rhodene? Never heard of it.

The real elite schools - Grammar and all the Convents in Karachi - still have the national anthem routine everyday.

The convents have some kind of regulation by the government i think.

A storm in a teacup...stirred up by a journalist (Sidrah Rogay) with vested interests. Who has gone on to regurgitate the same story in many different guises all over the internet via blogosphere and her twitter account. However, the publicity she has provided to these relatively small schools has been invaluable. As they say no publicity is bad publicity!!

All three of these schools are in DHA/Clifton area of Karachi. I know from kids of family & Friends who attend these schools that the National Anthem is sung during assembly at all of these schools and others. None of them attended a meeting last week (as claimed by the follow-up article on May 4th in The News) regarding this matter, albeit a pre-planned meeting of some private schools did take place but this matter was not discussed! No politician or governmental department has written to the schools regarding the matter. As I said at the outset - a storm in a teacup created by a journalist with vested interest. Is it a coincidence that this is the time of the year where school admissions are open? What a time for the private schools to get all this free publicity.

A more reasoned related story to this was published in The Dawn newspaper yesterday headlined Sing, Sing, or Else....where the reporter carried out a short straw poll by actually ringing few of the schools and associates. Her experience was as I stated that the National Anthem is sung at virtually ALL of the schools contacted
So yes it is all very well for many of my learned friends on here to get on their soap-boxes, but lets get a reality check. Any of you who attended schools in Pakistan will know that the National Anthem is part of a tradition that is practiced in all schools. The question here is of the old adage of journalistic integrity - doing the due diligence before publishing - which many in the Pakistani media lack. I would kin this to the tabloid press in the UK who practice the mantra of "publish-and-be-damned" knowing that there will be little comeback from the general public.

Hey Guys, i received email from 'Bay View High School' & will like to share here.

Thank you for your email. Please do not believe everything you read in print. These articles printed in the News are 100% incorrect and a result of irresponsible journalism.

We at Bay View High have a tradition of students singing the National Anthem, and we inculcate National Pride and Good Citizenship through our educational programmes. Please read our letter to ‘The News’ in response to their defamatory articles.

Sincerely,

The Management and Teachers of Bay View High School

Well, I take everything bad I said to the school back, but any institution doing it still deserves my words.

BTW, horrific journalism!!!!

THe journalist need to be given proper training, and areas of their specialty, the Bhoja incident also really gave out their flaws.

BTW, on which date did they publish their reply. I cannot reach the previous days articles.

Well, I take everything bad I said to the school back, but any institution doing it still deserves my words.

BTW, horrific journalism!!!!

THe journalist need to be given proper training, and areas of their specialty, the Bhoja incident also really gave out their flaws.

I agree but at the same time authorities must hunt down for those schools who have take out National Anthem from their daily schedule. Any school who refuse to sing National Anthem must be sealed off & their license should be banned min 25 years & owners must be charged with heavy penalty fees.

BTW, on which date did they publish their reply. I cannot reach the previous days articles.

I don't know exactly what time they send me their reply but i found in my email when i open my mails.

No. I meant when did they publish their reply in the newspaper as they said in your email???

No. I meant when did they publish their reply in the newspaper as they said in your email???

They didn't mention it, i can mail them for the link & then post the link here when i receive it.

CLARIFICATION

The Editor,

This is a REQUEST for CLARIFICATION and RETRACTION of the articles in your esteemed newspaper which has misquoted and misrepresented our school causing damage to our reputation.

At Bay View High School the National Anthem is indeed an important school tradition and it is sung EVERY SINGLE DAY throughout the entire school and regularly at the College which can be confirmed by parents and students. Whereas in your articles you have completely maligned our school and taken this as far as the Provincial Assembly. We have NEVER BARRED the National Anthem and we did NOT say “it is a waste of time and energy”, which is 100% INCORRECT and must be retracted immediately.

We at Bay View High are very conscious of our responsibility of building the character of our students in a manner that reflects the firm belief that National Pride and Good Citizenship are crucially important values in an individual. This is a critical focus of our educational programme throughout the entire school and a part of our school mission encouraging students to be responsible members of society.

We inculcate National Pride and Good Citizenship in many ways and have carefully planned this objective school-wide throughout our curriculum. As well as singing the National Anthem with pride, we encourage our students to put strong moral values such as honesty, decency and compassion for others above selfish motivations. Our Student Code consists of 5 C's and we teach our students to be Good Citizens and Good Pakistanis by being Committed, Conscientious, Courteous, Co-operative and above all Compassionate.

Children of our entire school regularly participate in Community Service, actively being good citizens. Hundreds of our children give up their time to participate regularly in fund raising activities and donate to worthy causes. Since 2006, after the devastating earthquake, Bay View High Students formed the “Everlasting Spirit” Community Service Program. As a starting point, the students worked towards raising funds to help rebuild two medical units of Marie Adelaide Leprosy Center in Kashmir which were destroyed in the earthquake. Very importantly, we have not forgotten those victims. We continue to support Marie Adelaide Leprosy Center and to date in the last 6 years we raised and donated about Rs. 7.00 Million, the latest donation being on 30th April, 2012 when Rs. 1.5 MILLION were given to sponsor a Medical Ward at the Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre HOSPITAL, Karachi. Every year our students complete Community Service Internships at the MALC hospital.

In all we have now raised and donated Rs. 9.00 Million towards Charity which includes support to Bela District Hospital, Baluchistan, IDPs of Swat and in 2010 the flood victims. Again, we have not forgotten the victims. The school has contributed in building and furnishing a Primary School in Aliabad/Mochogoth, a village near Petaro in Sindh for Flood Affectees; a project implemented by the Pakistan Navy Women Association (PNWA). Our students and teachers not only took part in the construction by painting the school building but have spent time with 50 or so children now studying at the school.

These donations were raised from events organized by the STUDENTS of the school from Junior to Senior, who worked hard and long for many months with energy and enthusiasm to show their compassion and concern for others as responsible citizens. We are sure that we are in the forefront among the community of schools that contribute positively to the society and extend a helping hand for those in need in our society.

Coming back to the May 3rd article, we agree entirely with the following esteemed educationists quoted in your article, i.e. Chairman, Board of Education; Director, Institute of Education, the Professor speaking from the Pakistan Study Centre at Karachi University and the Director, Education Research and Development Centre and reiterate that at Bay View High School our students DO SING the NATIONAL ANTHEM, and it is an important school tradition.

However we would like to state that the articlesare highly defamatory andhave caused damage to our school’s standing and reputation and distress to the school community. Since we have been identified by name/contact, we have been singled out – causing further misrepresentation whereby readers of the article are not only attributing incorrect statements to us, but also even those anonymous comments that were made by other school owners. Consequently we find the articles are lacking in factual accuracy and are inflammatory, create class divisions (“elite schools”??), rely on sensationalism and are devoid of responsible principles of Journalism.

The Board, Management and Teachers of Bay View High School

NOW IF ANY ONE HAVE SOME RELATIONS OR ANY ONE IN PAKISTAN CAN PLZ CONTACT "THE NEWS" AND CLARIFY IF THEY GET THIS LETTER OR NOT.

The school has a legal ground to sue and get compensation from The News.

i received the emailed which reads

to:
date: Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
subject: Thank you for your email

Thank you for your email. Please do not believe everything you read in print. These articles printed in the News are 100% incorrect and a result of irresponsible journalism.

We at Bay View High have a tradition of students singing the National Anthem, and we inculcate National Pride and Good Citizenship through our educational programmes. Please read our letter to ‘The News’ in response to their defamatory articles.

Sincerely,
The Management and Teachers of Bay View High School

A storm in a teacup...stirred up by a journalist (Sidrah Rogay) with vested interests.

dude i agree with you, i didnt even ead the name of the journalist

i must say this guy along with marvi sirmad is doing well to create trouble in our society

Back
Top Bottom