What's new

John Kerry calls Shivshankar Menon to express regret about Devyani's treatment; defends US laws

India tears into Bharara for defending action against diplomat

India today hit back at US Attorney Preet Bharara, who had justified Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade's arrest, accusing him of interfering with the Indian legal system and asserting that the arrest was not in keeping with the Vienna Convention on diplomatic immunity.

Criticising the US Prosecutor for making statement for "post facto rationalization" for an action that should never have taken place in the first instance, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson said there were no courtesies extended to Khobragade, who is the only "victim" in this case.

He said despite acknowledging that legal process were in place in India, the statement talks why it was necessary to evacuate the family of absconding maid Sangeeta Richard, thereby, making "implicit comment" about the Indian legal system, its enforcement authorities, and the responsibility that legal officials of a foreign government seem to "arrogate upon" themselves with regard to nationals of another country.

"We need to keep in mind the simple fact that there is only one victim in this case. That victim is Devyani Khobragade - a serving Indian diplomat on mission in the United States.

"The action taken against her was not in keeping with the Vienna Convention. There were no courtesies in the treatment that was meted out to the diplomat, under the normal definition of that word in English language," he said.

Observing that the statement includes remarks about equality before the law of both the rich and the poor, the Spokesperson said, "Not only is this a rhetorical remark that is not conducive to resolving 'inaccuracies', it is also not a feature of the law that is exclusive to the office of the Manhattan US Attorney."

In a statement in the US, the India-born Bharara not only defended the action against Khobragade but also said that maid Sangeeta Richard's family has been brought to the US. He said a legal process was started in India to "silence her and attempts were made to compel her to return to India".

Reacting to this, MEA said, "The statement in question acknowledges that legal processes were in place in India. Yet, incredibly, it invites speculation about why it was necessary to evacuate the family of Ms Richards and about the action purportedly being taken against them.
"The implication of this remarkable admission needs to be considered very carefully with regard to the implicit comment it makes about the Indian legal system, Indian law enforcement authorities, and the responsibility that legal officials of a foreign government seem to arrogate upon themselves with regard to the nationals of another country."

A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade was arrested on December 12 on visa fraud charges as she was dropping her daughter to school and released on a USD 250,000 bond only after pleading not guilty in court.

The ill-treatment of the its diplomat evoked a sharp reaction from India which initiated a slew of steps to downgrade the privileges enjoyed by the US diplomats and their families including withdrawing airport passes and stopping import clearances.

India tears into Bharara for defending action against diplomat | Business Standard

You can't tell me what to do and not to do, this is a open forum, I myself have the right to be here as you have the right to be here.

I'm to tell you US law won't change to cater the Indian national in the US, get used to it, you commit the crime expect to pay the time with your life.

Who is asking to change the law.. There is a way representatives of the countries should be treated.. Its fair and simple..She is not a local citizen, she is a diplomat. They could have avoided the whole drama. You were jumping around when a barricade was removed.. Its how we react when our diplomat is harassed.

"The action taken against her was not in keeping with the Vienna Convention. There were no courtesies in the treatment that was meted out to the diplomat, under the normal definition of that word in English language," he said.

Observing that the statement includes remarks about equality before the law of both the rich and the poor, the Spokesperson said, "Not only is this a rhetorical remark that is not conducive to resolving 'inaccuracies', it is also not a feature of the law that is exclusive to the office of the Manhattan US Attorney."

In a statement in the US, the India-born Bharara not only defended the action against Khobragade but also said that maid Sangeeta Richard's family has been brought to the US. He said a legal process was started in India to "silence her and attempts were made to compel her to return to India".

Reacting to this, MEA said, "The statement in question acknowledges that legal processes were in place in India. Yet, incredibly, it invites speculation about why it was necessary to evacuate the family of Ms Richards and about the action purportedly being taken against them.
"The implication of this remarkable admission needs to be considered very carefully with regard to the implicit comment it makes about the Indian legal system, Indian law enforcement authorities, and the responsibility that legal officials of a foreign government seem to arrogate upon themselves with regard to the nationals of another country."

India tears into Bharara for defending action against diplomat | Business Standard

WOW!!!!! Such a strong language.. Shud Hindi me bole to Bharara ki gaand bhatne wale he!!:close_tema:

Ya, it's pretty damning. For him actually. Already seeing some fireworks. Poor Kerry will have a tough time. Bharara just made his life very, very difficult.

He stated the facts of the arrest, at least his version of the events. It provides a good balance and counterpoint to the Indian rumors running rampant.

The longer this goes on in the media, the worse it makes India look, because it raises questions why India doesn't want an objective assessment of facts and wants to quash the legal process.

He is also legally in error, referring to the alleged victim as a "victim" when nothing is yet proven, raising plenty of questions? His comments on Indian courts & his admission of subverting them won't help anyone in the U.S. much.

He is the prosecuting attorney so he used the terms 'victim' and 'alleged perpetrator' properly.

As for Indian law, I already explained why protecting the family of a witness is important. From his perspective, Indian legal system was being used to obstruct (US) justice.

Last edited:
Who is asking to change the law.. There is a way representatives of the countries should be treated.. Its fair and simple..She is not a local citizen, she is a diplomat. They could have avoided the whole drama. You were jumping around when a barricade was removed.. Its how we react when our diplomat is harassed.

I'm outrage because India willing to ignore India law to cater to the US national in India, India agree to the request from the US embassy to provide extra barricade to block off the open space to keep people with bad intention away from successful attack the embassy, India government willing to risk the life of innocent to voice their grievance on a perception of ill treatment of the India deputy consulate with her criminal case pending the outcome in the court, India willing to yield their power to protect a criminal and put life at risk in the process.

You can't tell me what to do and not to do, this is a open forum, I myself have the right to be here as you have the right to be here.

fair enough man,u can say whatever u like

its a free forum

I'm outrage because India willing to ignore India law to cater to the US national in India, India agree to the request from the US embassy to provide extra barricade to block off the open space to keep people with bad intention away from successful attack the embassy, India government willing to risk the life of innocent to voice their grievance on a perception of ill treatment of the India deputy consulate with her criminal case pending the outcome in the court, India willing to yield their power to protect a criminal and put life at risk in the process.

Well Indian judicial system is free and fair for all.. There are no special privileges.. We cannot provide you extra barricade by stopping the smooth riding of our people.. You will just have to live with it!! :partay:

Well Indian judicial system is free and fair for all.. There are no special privileges.. We cannot provide you extra barricade by stopping the smooth riding of our people.. You will just have to live with it!! :partay:

indian judiciary is far from being free but yes in cases of terrorism or human rights its pretty free i would say.

in cases related to business it is not so

I didn't say India not within India right to remove the barricade from the embassy. This is within India legal right to do so. But on political and diplomacy front, anything happen because of this result in a dire consequent between US and India bilateral relationship.

Thanks in due time we will.

We are not like the Chinese who let their embassy be bombed and did nothing, cause they were too afraid of the white man.

well I think threads are going to be troll dumps,(not tellling you), but considering level of arguments few arguments are as the quality argument. I think we are least concern for action if seen rule breaking; Even as prima facie believing the action of US; few questions
(1) why US was in so much hurry, generally actions are not taken against the diplomats and embacy related person, that much easily.
(2) Instead taking stringent steps US may send some summons etc. and took the action.
(3) Case is of visa fraud what to do it with the Cavity and DNA check?
(4) Removing clothing for the offence of Visa Fraud? what is logic behind it?
(5) Number of cases I have heard in news that even russian embacy member find with such mistakes no step is taken against them. so why targeting India?
(6) on airports they said to strip the president kalam, defence minister George Farnandise, and Shahrukh khan etc. Once the Xray check is over why need to bare body checking? is it fun to looking people nude or what?
(7) As one respective member @IndoUS told that even local american get the less wage labour from mexico and they just punish for the fine only, why Indian and that is also deplomat category person is punish like this way?
(8) the Deplomat was woman, and she was not a hardcore criminal, Jashwant singh said that, the same seX relations are some deplomats have and that is crime in India if India take step against them would it be like to US?
(9) The action of US is really raising as they have going to raise freindship with India. Even george W Bush commented on Tony Blaire. its seen that US has its Ego and they satisfy by humiliation others only.
(10) The puppet human right of US told that US action was right, so Human rights is only to show the wrong done to world irespective in US.
(11) in news its told one Indian gov lady was not permitted to go somewhere and the reason was given "she wear a saree"?
(12) one girl of indian deplomat 18 yrs, was arrested to sent the abusive email to teacher, she was arrested, and later found that was sent by chinese, no action was taken against him.

Whatsoever in minds of US and others, I think US by this action show its down level.....which India never expecting................

I didn't say India not within India right to remove the barricade from the embassy. This is within India legal right to do so. But on political and diplomacy front, anything happen because of this result in a dire consequent between US and India bilateral relationship.
Well SHit already hit the roof mate and we didnt started it.

See the thing is every year there is one or two cases and there have also been cases were government officials have hired illegal immigrants from Mexico to work for them and have payed them less than a minimum wage. Yet the only thing they have gotten is a fine. Look at the farmers across the US, every year the agriculture industry hires immigrants from Mexico and South America and a lot of times they are illegal. Yet the only thing they get is a fine. SO I highly doubt the whole thing about human rights and other bs.
The difference is not just paying minimum wages but falsifying documents for visa. Also her claim of handcuffing is found to be untrue.

The difference is not just paying minimum wages but falsifying documents for visa. Also her claim of handcuffing is found to be untrue.

she falsified nothing mate
usa knew what we pay our servants.

she was getting approx 30,000 per month(inr) and her lodging and food was free.
if she didn't like the terms she shuld have refused to come.

now she has called her whole family there,pretty standard practice to get green card from ppl in punjab

Well SHit already hit the roof mate and we didnt started it.

What do you mean by India not started this incident, you mean US justice department should ignore the visa fraud, wrongful entrapment, violated US labor law all commit by India deputy consulate just to appease the India diplomat out of courtesy?

Back
Top Bottom