What's new

John Kerry calls Shivshankar Menon to express regret about Devyani's treatment; defends US laws

Since, US Attorney Preet Bharara thinks that Indian court system is a Kangaroo court may be we all should file complaints to him from petty pick pocketing to land dispute.. Lets see how many of our families will he evacuate..

Why the hell was she promised a wage much higher than what Devyani intended to pay? Was that not wrong on this lady's part?

The maid was being underpaid as per US laws. Agreed. But Devyani paid the maid even lesser than what was on the paper and ill-treated her as per some news links. What about that?

The maid may not have known this, but the employer did, which in this case is this consular officer. Why promise something and give something else?

That does not seem to be the story being put out by anybody in the U.S. Nobody is claiming mistreatment, atleast not yet. The U.S. charge is that she made a separate agreement with the maid to pay he differently than in the visa application filled at the time of visa issual for the maid.

Once in the US, the maid suddenly asked the Indian consul to raise her salary to 4,500 $. She was refused and was asked to return back to India to her husband and child. She refused. Instead the maid absconds from the consulate and file charges against the Dy. Consul General. Then her entire family is given a special T-visa, which is only issued for family to work and stay in the US on the condition they help US enforcement authorities. :cheesy:

It seems that after she disappeared, the diplomat tried to file a missing persons complaint with the NYPD and was told she couldn't do so because she was not family. When the husband in India was contacted, he denied any knowledge of her whereabouts but when asked to file a missing persons complaint as a family member, refused. The diplomat than went to the police(in India) who found that the husband was calling a particular number in the U.S. When the diplomat called on that number, she got in touch with the maid & arranged a meeting where she was asked for $ 10000. She also wanted the diplomat to help change her status in the U.S. That is when the diplomat filed a case in India fearing harassment. The maid was moved to a different address when a warrant was handed to the U.S. authorities to serve on her. The rest of the story is now well known

Last edited:
Why the hell was she promised a wage much higher than what Devyani intended to pay? Was that not wrong on this lady's part?

Was she ? How would you know ? What was promised and what was paid is still speculation and Allegations. Not facts.

Real issue is when it was know the diplomat's salary is 4,000$, why did the US consulate issue a visa to the maid ?

The maid was being underpaid as per US laws. Agreed. But Devyani paid the maid even lesser than what was on the paper and ill-treated her as per some news links. What about that?

Not even the US has alleged ill-treatment. Kindly do not spin stories to suite your POV.

The maid may not have known this, but the employer did, which in this case is this consular officer. Why promise something and give something else?

:cheesy: considering her mother, father and husband worked in the US embassy in India, I think she would have know more than what you give her credit for.

In fact I suspect she knew a bit too much.

I did not say that she deserved to be thrown in with drug addicts and mafia goons and cavity searched. I just said that what she did was wrong and there should be legal action against her. She cheated someone lower than her in status and what if she is getting cheated now.

That ALLEGATION of cheating is just that. An UNPROVEN ALLEGATION possibly made with a sinister agenda. You might choose to believe the US govt., but as an Indian citizen I choose the believe the Indian govt.

Sitting in US, you cannot function like Indian babu. From what I have read, thle employer had promised something else and gave the lady much, much lower and this was outside the official contract.

What a despicable thing to say.

If the employee did not want to work for someone who did not honor her promise, why did she not return to India back to her family when she was given the choice ?

The instance took place in US territory. That is their country and their laws are not like our country's where everyone takes them for a ride and tosses them into the garbage bin (what bin? straight on the road.. :P).

And India is also not a country which can be treated like a cat found in a garbage bin. If the US is so strong on following the Law, explain to me why they have let their own consulate criminals escape the law all over the world. I am horrified to see you bend over backward to accommodate the US. crawling when you do not even have to bend. I guess I was wrong about you.

US was peeping into her house which is in their country, governed by certain labor, civil and other laws which they intend to follow unlike we Indians who think the world is ours and we can do whatever we like wherever we like.

That is your POV. I hope you provide reasons why India think the world is ours and act accordingly and the US doesn't :lol:

Sorry to break your emotional bubble but the world doesn't function like that.

How perceptive of you :lol:

Always clear. She needs to be tried but as per the protocol of a consular officer's rights and procedures.

If she has to be tried, she as an INDIAN citizen will be tried in INDIA. I hope you are equally clear about that.

You need to come out of the media-frenzied emotional distraction that is being done in the name of national jingoism going on.

Spare me your kinder grade psycho babble.

The government of this country shits in its pants when our soldiers get beheaded in our territory or an aggressive bully enters into our borders.... aur yahaan protocol ki baat kar rahe hain...
We Indians need to get our priorities right:
Agar itna gussa upar likhe do hadson par dikhaya hota to kam se kam duniya mein hamari izzat bachi rehti....

This is the only part where I agree with you.

Nothing has been proven. They remain allegations. I'm not questioning the U.S. authorities right to consider the "well being" of anyone on their soil, Indian or otherwise but no international law would allow you to stretch it to others in a foreign country.

The Indian government, contrary to what you seem to think, made the first move, including asking the diplomat to file a report with the NYPD when the maid went missing. Subsequently when the maid supposedly made contact, it was the advice of lawyers for the diplomat to file a case in India, not to harass but to safeguard herself from harassment.

I don't think the Indian government has been unreasonable about the maid. They have made the point about the maid having her passport recalled but they have not made that alone into an issue. Which is why nothing much was said about it prior to the incident in question(the arrest)

Passports are not confiscated as a matter of routine. A summons was issued & the U.S. embassy was warned of a possible attempt of the husband to attempt to leave the country. The very fact that he managed to go to the airport and catch a flight shows up the canard that he was being hounded by the system. My point remains to Mr.Bharara's admission that the "evacuation" took place to escape from a legal process, as damning an admission as any. It would not be for the U.S. to judge whether or not an Indian citizen, not on their soil, would get justice or not & especially not for them to pre-judge both the case & the entire judicial & police system and certainly not to attempt to subvert the legal process. You can be sure the courts will take a very dim view of that.

The government has reacted just now to Mr.Bharara's statement & they don't seem too happy about it(to put it mildly).

I assume you have read the NY DA's statement (posted in another thread).

It is very precise and very damning about the alleged conduct of the consular officer.

It also reaffirms what I have been saying all along -- the maid is not just "anybody". She is a material witness in an ongoing case. The US authorities deem it a top priority to ensure the safety of witnesses and their families. This part about families is doubly relevant because it seems quite clear that there was a concerted attempt to harass and even coerce the maid's husband to make false statements.

Once again, the NY DA's statement contains some extremely damning allegations about what the consular officer did to the maid and her family. And he makes it clear there's plenty more he is not revealing because the case is ongoing.

We won't treat Indian diplomat like this. That's really a big insult. USA takes no one serious except themselves.

We won't treat Indian diplomat like this. That's really a big insult. USA takes no one serious except themselves.

The USA takes themselves and countries which have the balls to retaliate seriously.

i.e Russia, China, etc

But as always, for me, viva la USA :D

The more you bootlicking them, the more they look down on you. India shall stay away from USA, and get closer with Russia and China.

How dare USA treat a female diplomat in such rude way? I can't believe it.

I assume you have read the NY DA's statement (posted in another thread).

It is very precise and very damning about the alleged conduct of the consular officer.

It also reaffirms what I have been saying all along -- the maid is not just "anybody". She is a material witness in an ongoing case. The US authorities deem it a top priority to ensure the safety of witnesses and their families. This part about families is doubly relevant because it seems quite clear that there was a concerted attempt to harass and even coerce the maid's husband to make false statements.

Once again, the NY DA's statement contains some extremely damning allegations about what the consular officer did to the maid and her family. And he makes it clear there's plenty more he is not revealing because the case is ongoing.

Took an Indian born US DA to know the behavior of Indian, he know the inner working of the social relate issue within India society.

[Note: the emphasis below is not in the original statement and is added by me]

Request Rejected

Statement Of Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara On U.S. V. Devyani Khobragade

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

There has been much misinformation and factual inaccuracy in the reporting on the charges against Devyani Khobragade. It is important to correct these inaccuracies because they are misleading people and creating an inflammatory atmosphere on an unfounded basis. Although I am quite limited in my role as a prosecutor in what I can say, which in many ways constrains my ability here to explain the case to the extent I would like, I can nevertheless make sure the public record is clearer than it has been thus far.

First, Ms. Khobragade was charged based on conduct, as is alleged in the Complaint, that shows she clearly tried to evade U.S. law designed to protect from exploitation the domestic employees of diplomats and consular officers. Not only did she try to evade the law, but as further alleged, she caused the victim and her spouse to attest to false documents and be a part of her scheme to lie to U.S. government officials. So it is alleged not merely that she sought to evade the law, but that she affirmatively created false documents and went ahead with lying to the U.S. government about what she was doing. One wonders whether any government would not take action regarding false documents being submitted to it in order to bring immigrants into the country. One wonders even more pointedly whether any government would not take action regarding that alleged conduct where the purpose of the scheme was to unfairly treat a domestic worker in ways that violate the law. And one wonders why there is so much outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian national accused of perpetrating these acts, but precious little outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian victim and her spouse?

Second, as the alleged conduct of Ms. Khobragade makes clear, there can be no plausible claim that this case was somehow unexpected or an injustice. Indeed, the law is clearly set forth on the State Department website. Further, there have been other public cases in the United States involving other countries, and some involving India, where the mistreatment of domestic workers by diplomats or consular officers was charged criminally, and there have been civil suits as well. In fact, the Indian government itself has been aware of this legal issue, and that its diplomats and consular officers were at risk of violating the law. The question then may be asked: Is it for U.S. prosecutors to look the other way, ignore the law and the civil rights of victims (again, here an Indian national), or is it the responsibility of the diplomats and consular officers and their government to make sure the law is observed?

Third, Ms. Khobragade, the Deputy General Consul for Political, Economic, Commercial and Women’s Affairs, is alleged to have treated this victim illegally in numerous ways by paying her far below minimum wage, despite her child care responsibilities and many household duties, such that it was not a legal wage. The victim is also alleged to have worked far more than the 40 hours per week she was contracted to work, and which exceeded the maximum hour limit set forth in the visa application. Ms. Khobragade, as the Complaint charges, created a second contract that was not to be revealed to the U.S. government, that changed the amount to be paid to far below minimum wage, deleted the required language protecting the victim from other forms of exploitation and abuse, and also deleted language that stated that Ms. Khobragade agreed to “abide by all Federal, state, and local laws in the U.S.” As the Complaint states, these are only “in part” the facts, and there are other facts regarding the treatment of the victim – that were not consistent with the law or the representations made by Ms. Khobragade -- that caused this Office and the State Department, to take legal action.

Fourth, as to Ms. Khobragade’s arrest by State Department agents, this is a prosecutor’s office in charge of prosecution, not the arrest or custody, of the defendant, and therefore those questions may be better referred to other agencies. I will address these issues based on the facts as I understand them. Ms. Khobragade was accorded courtesies well beyond what other defendants, most of whom are American citizens, are accorded. She was not, as has been incorrectly reported, arrested in front of her children. The agents arrested her in the most discreet way possible, and unlike most defendants, she was not then handcuffed or restrained. In fact, the arresting officers did not even seize her phone as they normally would have. Instead, they offered her the opportunity to make numerous calls to arrange personal matters and contact whomever she needed, including allowing her to arrange for child care. This lasted approximately two hours. Because it was cold outside, the agents let her make those calls from their car and even brought her coffee and offered to get her food. It is true that she was fully searched by a female Deputy Marshal -- in a private setting -- when she was brought into the U.S. Marshals’ custody, but this is standard practice for every defendant, rich or poor, American or not, in order to make sure that no prisoner keeps anything on his person that could harm anyone, including himself. This is in the interests of everyone’s safety.

Fifth, as has been reported, the victim’s family has been brought to the United States. As also has been reported, legal process was started in India against the victim, attempting to silence her, and attempts were made to compel her to return to India. Further, the Victim’s family reportedly was confronted in numerous ways regarding this case. Speculation about why the family was brought here has been rampant and incorrect. Some focus should perhaps be put on why it was necessary to evacuate the family and what actions were taken in India vis-à-vis them. This Office and the Justice Department are compelled to make sure that victims, witnesses and their families are safe and secure while cases are pending.

Finally, this Office’s sole motivation in this case, as in all cases, is to uphold the rule of law, protect victims, and hold accountable anyone who breaks the law – no matter what their societal status and no matter how powerful, rich or connected they are.

Last edited:
The more you bootlicking them, the more they look down on you. India shall stay away from USA, and get closer with Russia and China.
How dare USA treat a female diplomat in such rude way? I can't believe it.

:lol: Seriously ?

If you are going to insult India how are you difference from the USA ? Why would anybody in their sane mind want to join up with you ? :cheesy:

This case isn't about befriend or turn India into in enemy of US, this is a criminal case which US justice department have the duty and jurisdiction to further look into and bring charge upon a culprit for the crime.

Very good move of India goverment prohibits gay in India, I hope China goverment could do the same. Barely gays wearing condom to make love, a fast way to spread HIV.

Took an Indian born US DA to know the behavior of Indian, he know the inner working of the social relate issue within India society.

This is not specific to India; many developing countries would have this kind of culture where the privileged elite exploit the poor people, with the full backing and complicity of their government.

Fortunately, this time, the little guy (or woman) was backed by the US government and the privileged elite got a taste of her own medicine.

How India gonna retaliate USA? Or just let it go like the previous Italian soldier killing Indian fishmen case? Dare India do anything against USA as you guys buyer dozen of weapon from them?

It's time to prove you guys have some balls.

This is not specific to India; many developing countries would have this kind of culture where the privileged elite exploit the poor people, with the full backing and complicity of their government.

Fortunately, this time, the little guy (or woman) was backed by the US government and the privileged elite got a taste of her own medicine.

Do you mean western world? I believe in western world this kind of practice are outlaw, US labor law to prevent the mistreatment of employee by the hand of the employer.

Back
Top Bottom