What's new

John Kerry calls Shivshankar Menon to express regret about Devyani's treatment; defends US laws

I am 47....been hearing the same most of my life. Blah blah blah. I'm not saying it won't happen (if you told me when I was 15 that the Berlin wall would fall, I would have called you a liar). But don't hold your breath. There are deeply ingrained reasons things are the way they are....barring a major sh1T-STORM....THEY WILL STAY THAT WAY FOR AWHILE.
Maybe you need to deeply study, the deeply ingrained reasons and things that you speak of.There will be no Sh!t storm nor will there be war,we will resolve as gentlemen!

It has emerged that this case was not bottoms up driven by Preet Bharara as was earlier believed. It was top down driven.

Bhara has made a length comment on the issue. It was moved forward by Bharara's office alone. The state department has no powers to prosecute a case of this nature, only give permission or deny it. Bharara's office was still the driving force.

Bhara has made a length comment on the issue. It was moved forward by Bharara's office alone. The state department has no powers to prosecute a case of this nature, only give permission or deny it. Bharara's office was still the driving force.
How Convenient? distancing yourself from this incident, speaking it's Bharara's office matter?
When the Victim is a Indian Diplomat!We respect Diplomats, but strip searching, CAVITY SEARCHING ! of Diplomats never happened here!
If USA thinks its proud of following the rule book, then they will have to follow the rule book here too!ARE THEY READY for that?

How Convenient? distancing yourself from this incident, speaking it's Bharara's office matter?
When the Victim is a Indian Diplomat!We respect Diplomats, but strip searching, CAVITY SEARCHING ! of Diplomats never happened here!
If USA thinks its proud of following the rule book, then they will have to follow the rule book here too!ARE THEY READY for that?

It is not a Bharara office matter alone but one that was driven from there. Complicity in the action runs throughout the American system including the embassy in India who helped spirit away the maid's husband & children.

Calm down.

It was just law being followed, not intentionally disrespecting indians.

You can see senators (indian equal of MPs) being treated like this.

Keep your prejudices out of something you do not understand.

Some Bloody Laws; executed by US Marshals who would put Medieval Mullas to shame......

As was rightly said by Derek O'Brien in Parliament yesterday: The World is becoming a Global Village, but it does not need a Village Headman. Nor can USA arrogate to itself the role of Village Headman.

USA has a long running History of American Official Arrogance. For which the Ordinary American Citizen pays world-wide; whether facing upt slogans of "Yanqui Go Home" or getting shot at or even beheaded in different parts of the World. Even the happenings in 26/11 bore that out.

Only because some "Sheriffs and Cowboys" in USA can run berserk in exercise of their powers.

Khobragade case: Why the maid isn’t the issue

It is interesting that whenever one raises a question-mark over the conduct of the US in the Devyani Khobragade case, our ever-contrarian (or is it moralistic?) media brings up the issue of how we treat our own domestic help, and how we overwork or underpay them. Sure, there is a need to discuss this, but as I have told several people on Twitter yesterday, the time to discuss this is later - after we have won the diplomatic confrontation with the US first. The time to discuss corruption in defence purchases is not at the height of the Kargil war, but after winning it. It is important to remember that the main thing is the main thing and stay focused. We have a lifetime to discuss the ill-treatment of domestic help, but right now it is a diversionary tactic.

One could, for example, equally ask why the maid and her husband (Philip Richard) have been given US visas in a jiffy just days before Khobragade’s arrest (the US has given an explanation, see below). Visa rules can obviously be bent when Uncle Sam wills it. But these are diversions. The main thing in the Khobragade affair is to tell the US that you cannot treat the diplomats of friendly countries this way.

You cannot treat a friend as a vassal. You cannot throw a local law at a friend and abuse his trust. Once we have sorted this issue out with Uncle Sam we can discuss maids, nannies, drivers and the rights of domestic help and self-flagellate as much as we want. We need to win the diplomatic war on the Khobragade issue. We need to win the diplomatic war on the Khobragade issue.

The other issue people keep bringing up is the one of robust application of the law. Why should we complain if the US is only applying its normal laws and procedures to someone they think has contravened them. When asked whether Khobragade was strip-searched or subjected to the indignity of a "cavity search", US Marshal Service spokesperson Nikki Credic confirmed the "strip search" and not the cavity bit, but spoke of the resultant indignities as "standard arrestee intake procedures".

I like the phrase "standard arrestee intake procedures". Sounds so clinical and neutral. But it takes no genius to tell us that the law is often an *** - and any Marshal with the IQ of a backward rabbit could have known the underpaying nannies does not warrant such body searches - even when the law allows it. So to those who bring forth this we-have-broken-their-law argument, the simple answer is this: fine, let us now apply stringently all our own stupid laws to every US diplomat or non-diplomat residing in India. Let us tail every US embassy car and zealously issue parking tickets and impose the highest fines and call them to police chowkies to collect their driving licences on Sundays. Let us also make sure the cop concerned has a family emergency when someone comes to collect his or her licence. Let us issue a warrant for the arrest of the US Marshal Service personnel who handled Khobragade since under the Prevention of Atrocities Against SC/STs Act any such insult has to result in an arrest, even if it is bailable. (I have known of a nationalised bank chairman in India who has been arrested for allegedly insulting a Dalit). While we can rest assured that the US is not going to send those marshals over, we can issue red corner notices and sentence them in absentia for non-appearance in connection with due process of the law.

Let us also prosecute the US government for infringing Indian privacy laws and impose fines on Uncle Sam, Google, and other cyber companies. Let us use the obnoxious Section 66A of the Information Technology Act – vicariously used against two Palghar girls for making an innocuous Facebook entry after the death of Bal Thackeray – to target US nationals in India for all their transgressions. Let us give the Padma Vibhushan to Edward Snowden for disclosing the level of prying by the US in India. Let us give asylum to both Snowden and Julian Assange of WikiLeaks.

Let us arrest any US embassy or national accused of a crime and handcuff him and parade him with a sack or lungi cloth over his head - exactly the way we treat our own arrestees.:lol: Let us follow standard operating "intake procedures" specifically with US nationals. Let us identify every possible US embassy official who we think is a CIA spy and pack him off as persona non grata (PNG) – of course the US will retaliate, but that is no skin off our nose. We can always send replacements.

US Secretary of State John Kerry is understood to have expressed regret to the NSA, but this is not the time to be mollified by private regrets - we need a public expression of contrition from Uncle Sam. Preet Bharara, the American Indian behind the arrest of Khobragade, has tried to put the record straight on the issue, but he has just remained holier-than-thou on the issue of why the Richards were given visas. He claimed that there was an attempt to "silence her, and attempts were made to compel her to return to India".

We can't be sure of this, but one thing is clear: the US will stick to its claim that it is only enforcing the law. He should know that David Headley broke Indian laws and helped plan 26/11, and the US is still protecting him. He cannot be brought to justice here. The US will follow the law when it wants to and abandon it when it suits its purposes. The US only respects real power - and that is the point of the Khobragade affair. So let us do our job like they are doing theirs. It is time to use our laws against them. Let us also follow the basic principle of reciprocity. Give them exactly the same concessions they give us. The US is no friend of ours till it proves otherwise in letter and spirit. It is time we stopped behaving like fools.

Khobragade case: Why the maid isn't the issue | Firstpost

most of u miss one single point,does the minimum wage of 4500 USD earned by anyone include housing/medical facilities and so on......
Does the minimum wage include such facilities?

do waitresses get an insurance policy?

so basically a random worthless policy which loots some money from my pocket every year is okay which pays money if i die whereas if there is someone who is taking care of me in their home is exploitation.

most of u NRIs here are such morons,god knows who the fvck gave you a visa or admission in a university?

I dont understand why the maid's family needs visas to move to the USA.

This smells like an Achayan Conspiracy already.

Preet Bharara is a high flying prosecutor known for going after big fish whoever they are. Made a name for himself doing that. What he & many others seem to have missed here is that unlike his other famous targets, who when faced with the might of the U.S. government coming after them had simply no options, this was not one such case. Foreign states are not easily intimidated as individuals can be, reciprocity in kind is always possible and pretty much guaranteed in case of large states. Private individuals, no matter how rich or powerful, simply don't have that option. Poor judgment to go forward in this case in this manner.

Well I hope that the "Sheriff of Wall Street" aka Preet Bharara does not plan to come to visit the Country of his origin some time. Someone may well decide to give him a "Cavity Search with a Stick of Dynamite".

This Urban Sheriff in NYC is simply a "Grandstander"; if ever there is one. He seems to cast himself as some contemporary John Wayne in "shoot first, think later" mode while mowing down Red Indians and other such "Varmints"!!!!!!!!!

I think they should refuse permission in chanakyapuri and give them land in Paharganj instead.

Depends on how far you can push the earliest witch hunts and crusades!

All kinds of ridiculous superstitions taking root in our Hindu-Samaj is not the result of a few foreign invasions. It was the gradual disintegration of our values and ethos.
How is dating our caste system , coming down to our ridiculoos notion?
Are you that blinded by West you never see anything bad about it?
For focks sake we are a 5000 year old civilization!
Are we civilized?----------------NO
Only the British came and Civilized --- US!
So thank you for Civilizing us!

Well I hope that the "Sheriff of Wall Street" aka Preet Bharara does not plan to come to visit the Country of his origin some time. Someone may well decide to give him a "Cavity Search with a Stick of Dynamite".

This Urban Sheriff in NYC is simply a "Grandstander"; if ever there is one. He seems to cast himself as some contemporary John Wayne in "shoot first, think later" mode while mowing down Red Indians and other such "Varmints"!!!!!!!!!
Anytime he cometh he sure doth have a full endoscopic and manual cavity search!Make no mistake about it Mr.Preet Bharra,We will follow the rulebook as you said. so it's better you never come back!

How is dating our caste system , coming down to our ridiculoos notion?
Are you that blinded by West you never see anything bad about it?
For focks sake we are a 5000 year old civilization!
Are we civilized?----------------NO
Only the British came and Civilized --- US!
So thank you for Civilizing us!

Dude, I think you have some issues comprehending what I said. I don't give a damn about how things are in the West. All I care about is how good we can be as against how good we are.

Can be become better than what we already are? - Yes
Can we do better if the caste system & superstitious beliefs are completely abolished? - Yes
Can we do better if we have a Uniform Civil Law? - Yes
Can we do better if corruption is curbed in our society? - Yes

Where is the reference to British or any other Nation here??

Dude, I think you have some issues comprehending what I said. I don't give a damn about how things are in the West. All I care about is how good we can be as against how good we are.

Can be become better than what we already are? - Yes
Can we do better if the caste system & superstitious beliefs are completely abolished? - Yes
Can we do better if we have a Uniform Civil Law? - Yes
Can we do better if corruption is curbed in our society? - Yes

Where is the reference to British or any other Nation here??
You talked something about how Caste system was inherent in Hinduism, to that i said we can go back and see where it sprung from! Only one aspect of hindus and you are jittery?:D

You talked something about how Caste system was inherent in Hinduism, to that i said we can go back and see where it sprung from! Only one aspect of hindus and you are jittery?:D

It is inherent! You wet off tangent into witch hunts for whatever reason I know not.

i think the Indian govt. is stupid. they have given them way too much time.

the US is not letting the diplomat go and is hell bent on applying the law on her.

I say its time the Indian govt. did a tit for tat and imprisoned the US consular person for gay relations.

if US can apply its laws and feel justified in its conduct, why the hell GOI cannot apply or is reluctant to apply their laws on US consular persons?? **** congress.

again please do not give single vote to congress. do not vote but please do not vote for congress ever.

i think the Indian govt. is stupid. they have given them way too much time.

the US is not letting the diplomat go and is hell bent on applying the law on her.

I say its time the Indian govt. did a tit for tat and imprisoned the US consular person for gay relations.

if US can apply its laws and feel justified in its conduct, why the hell GOI cannot apply or is reluctant to apply their laws on US consular persons?? **** congress.

again please do not give single vote to congress. do not vote but please do not vote for congress ever.

Maybe we are buying time to launch a Pre-Emptive strike on Diago Garcia. Soon Vikramaditya will be helping Indian war efforts :tup:

Back
Top Bottom