What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

If they cap it at Block-5, then I'm guessing they'd roll out at least another 100 JF-17s through the 2020s (assuming there are no other aircraft inductions). Moreover, if there's nothing past Block-5, then either the JF-17 is going to be totally supplanted (production-wise) by the FGFA, or they'll have a JF-17 NG, but call it something else?

As per Shahid Latif, the program comprised of 5 blocks with each entering service every five years.

View attachment 581173

View attachment 581174

View attachment 581175

View attachment 581176

Not sure if the intake has changed and are wider now ?

Poor images
I can’t identify these pics, can’t understand the angles and how you came to the conclusion of wider intakes.

As per Shahid Latif, the program comprised of 5 blocks with each entering service every five years.
Can the rumoured EW variant be another specific block ? As per my understanding, 2 seater is best suited for dedicated EW warfare aircrafts just like growler so EW variant IF comes, will be 6xx or +++ instead of 3xx/4xx/5xx.

I can only wish to see a DELTA Block 4 and/or 5, just like F-16XL. The replacement for mirages would be possible capability wise.

So the twin-seaters starting in 6 makes sense then. Do you know if 3Bs start with a 7?

So the twin-seaters starting in 6 makes sense then. Do you know if 3Bs start with a 7?

First 3B
upload_2019-9-7_23-34-22-png.578346

Those dont look like ac serial numbers. Also BC lol.
What a day, First BS for rafale? Now BC for Bo_Oo_O
Ohh wait, they aren’t S/Ns rather most probably Different Part identifiers. Cockpit glass has different than the one on side

Dual seaters starting with 6 always gave me the same impression you had that it was because numbers 1-5 were reserved for existing/future blocks. JF-17 was always envisaged to have 5 blocks. The B version was more of an after thought, hence the 6. Based on that i'd say 3B will also start with 6, not 7. But let's see.

Also your assertion that there will be 5 block at the absolute most is correct as per the current plans. But should there be a need for a further block that would be so far into the future (if at all such need arises) that no one has thought about it (or its serial numbers :-)) yet.

Last edited:
I am usually not the kind of person that grasps at straws but I have been wondering why the Bs have serial numbers starting in 6. We know that number is reserved for block in single seater. Pure speculation follows:

PAF envisions the single-seater going up (at the absolute most) to block 5, which is the reason twin-seaters start at 6. This might also imply block 3Bs might have serials starting in 7.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Dazzler
Thank you for a very interesting thought. It is certainly worthy of a thought. However I understand PAF serial numbers for 16A and Bs are also different. Is PAF following the same nomenclature?
A

PAF previous chief clearly stated that they would like to maintain 400 fighter jets
i see no other way to do that other than building at least 250 thunders, given F16s arent coming

where is this photo from?
Soheil Aman said the Block 3 will be the matured version of JFT. I have thought long and hard about what he meant by his statement . I still think that the block building approach will continue on till 250 fighters are integrated which means 5 blocks to me. However PAF has made 62 block 2s which then confuses the picture a bit. For instance will PAF go on and make 80 block 3s for instance.

A

Thank you for a very interesting thought. It is certainly worthy of a thought. However I understand PAF serial numbers for 16A and Bs are also different. Is PAF following the same nomenclature?
A

Soheil Aman said the Block 3 will be the matured version of JFT. I have thought long and hard about what he meant by his statement . I still think that the block building approach will continue on till 250 fighters are integrated which means 5 blocks to me. However PAF has made 62 block 2s which then confuses the picture a bit. For instance will PAF go on and make 80 block 3s for instance.

A

it seems that blk 3 will be the last definitive multi role version in continuation of blk1 and blk2 which i belive will be upgraded to blk3. then JF-17B, you can call it a 4th block. and then there is a talk about an JF-17E version for electronic warfare items. you can call it a 5th block based out of 2 seater version. finally there is a possibility of a deep strike version based out of blk 3 or 2 seater JF-17B. this will be a final block. last final block might not happen because by that time paf might have options to add another fighter or project azm

it seems that blk 3 will be the last definitive multi role version in continuation of blk1 and blk2 which i belive will be upgraded to blk3. then JF-17B, you can call it a 4th block. and then there is a talk about an JF-17E version for electronic warfare items. you can call it a 5th block based out of 2 seater version. finally there is a possibility of a deep strike version based out of blk 3 or 2 seater JF-17B. this will be a final block. last final block might not happen because by that time paf might have options to add another fighter or project azm
Is your analysis based on your personal opinion or source based? If the later then please mention source.
Iwould disagree with your notion on the simple basis that we still have a100 fighter deficit which we want to fill with JFT. SOwe will need more of the fighters. There is so far only 26 dual seat fighters so I suspect their utility will be assessed further before plans are drawn.
A

Kindly mention your source or incase of this being your personal opinion elaborate?

Is your analysis based on your personal opinion or source based? If the later then please mention source.
Iwould disagree with your notion on the simple basis that we still have a100 fighter deficit which we want to fill with JFT. SOwe will need more of the fighters. There is so far only 26 dual seat fighters so I suspect their utility will be assessed further before plans are drawn.
A

no concrete source just tit-bit of discussion with key people and i was just connecting dots. consider this my opinion. sorry for the confusion.

no concrete source just tit-bit of discussion with key people and i was just connecting dots. consider this my opinion. sorry for the confusion.
Interesting. Let us wait and watch to see how things transpire. We should be hearing of news of Bl.3 having flown soon although I feel it has already been undergoing tests. So the first flight we will know about is the one PAF/CATIC want us to see.
A

This is what I had thought and heard as well. However with additional block 2 being ordered I am not so sure anymore.
A

Interesting. Let us wait and watch to see how things transpire. We should be hearing of news of Bl.3 having flown soon although I feel it has already been undergoing tests. So the first flight we will know about is the one PAF/CATIC want us to see.
A

This is what I had thought and heard as well. However with additional block 2 being ordered I am not so sure anymore.
A
how many more blk 2?

Back
Top Bottom