What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

That's an inlet for heat exchangers. The aircraft uses engine bleed to cool avionics, provide air to to G-suit among other things. Bleed air is too hot so they take outside air to cool it down to certain temperature before pumping it

Not necessarily. The air could be siphoned from the bypass flow. @messiach has previously written about vortex generating strakes for the B version.

88136504_1312295448968119_2565930934280912896_n.jpg

JF17 single seater also has the same scoop on right air intake.

I've personally never heard of vortex generator on one side of the aircraft

And bleed air comes from IP or HP compressor, bypass air doesn't have the pressure needed to do the job. Its essentially ram air which is used to control the temprature of bleed air (which, again, comes from compressors)

Not necessarily. The air could be siphoned from the bypass flow. @messiach has previously written about vortex generating strakes for the B version.

Last edited:

And bleed air comes from IP or HP compressor, bypass air doesn't have the pressure needed to do the job. Its essentially ram air which is used to control the temprature of bleed air (which, again, comes from compressors)

If you don't mind, I would like to see the scoop in a picture of single seater.

The boundary layer flow may not be symmetric on the two sides of B version, especially because of the aerodynamic impact of the protruding hinges. This would become significant at supersonic speeds.

A bypass ratio greater than 1 means more air flowing throw the bypass duct than through the compressor. This air is cooler than the compressor air, and there is a patent that uses this for cooling:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7861512B2/en

It would be technically inefficient to try and use the compressor air for cooling because the bypass duct surrounds the compressor assembly. Though, it is true that the bypass air is sometimes mixed with the air exiting the combustion chamber to lower its temperature, but that is much later than the compressor stage.

12 additional block 2 were produced on 2018 and 2019 12 B model were produced so total 24 not sure when the new sqdn will be officially announced expecting one sqdn plus allotment of B model to all existing 6 sqdn as well

2019 airforce day program it was stated that paf has now 7 jf sqdn but not sure if official ceremony was held and expecting soon ??

The number of ocu would also increase as jf is now in more demand for pilots and f-7 are dwindling down with single ocu number 18

I'd be happy to be proven wrong since we're all here to learn. But...
One of the only pictures I could find with the inside of this scoop lit with ambient light and you can CLEARLY see it doesn't connect to any sort of inlet. It's just a metal scoop. This should be pretty definitive. But if you still have doubts you can read on.
PAFJF-17Intake.jpg

Covers are not just for intakes. If a foreign object (like a bird or its attempt at starting a nest with sticks, or ice) can get in there and get stuck it needs a cover. Even pointy things get covers.

Aircraft are plenty asymmetric. You can see TWO pitot static probes on side and ONE on the other (which happens to be the side with the vortex generator). The vortex generator is probably an attempt at making the flow MORE symmetric:
MhKSYCo.jpg

For the JF-17B:
The vortex generator is probably needed on the OTHER side as the A version as the original side got the hinges.
18268256_641033719434790_1262443130549598404_n.jpg

It is a secondary air inlet to improve air flow into the engine at higher aoa its not a vortex generator nor is it a bypass for cooling.
It's way too small to be a secondary air-inlet for the engine. Those are much larger and no reason for them to be on one side only.

Anyway this isn't crazy important and I don't want to drag this out into an internet argument. Readers can see all posts and decide for themselves. Thanks.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong since we're all here to learn. But...
One of the only pictures I could find with the inside of this scoop lit with ambient light and you can CLEARLY see it doesn't connect to any sort of inlet. It's just a metal scoop. This should be pretty definitive. But if you still have doubts you can read on.
View attachment 610503

Covers are not just for intakes. If a foreign object (like a bird or its attempt at starting a nest with sticks, or ice) can get in there and get stuck it needs a cover. Even pointy things get covers.

Aircraft are plenty asymmetric. You can see TWO pitot static probes on side and ONE on the other (which happens to be the side with the vortex generator). The vortex generator is probably an attempt at making the flow MORE symmetric:
View attachment 610505

For the JF-17B:
The vortex generator is probably needed on the OTHER side as the A version as the original side got the hinges.
View attachment 610510

It's way too small to be a secondary air-inlet for the engine. Those are much larger and no reason for them to be on one side only.

Anyway this isn't crazy important and I don't want to drag this out into an internet argument. Readers can see all posts and decide for themselves. Thanks.

Intake for cooling down the APU

Earlier PT and not the fresh built.

ERmvLthXYAE24n1

Pts had five, production builds have three.

Well ... was this already posted here? JF-17B no. 19-605!

ETQcgsBXsAMqZnV

(Image via GriffinsRule/PDF)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom