What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

Not sure what the blue patch states ???
Now You See Me
Now You See Me.jpg

Actually, it is a matter of splitting hairs. In my opinion B is actually Blk 3 already by virtue of 3 axis fly by wire; that alone differentiates 1,2 from B+3. True HUD may not be there but the core base for the aircraft is the same. The rest can be plug and played later.
I have only read about things like FBW...but never actually seen such a system as compared to conventional flight control systems. So my question is...is it possible(in terms of room available) to replace the conventional flight controls with FBW(including redundancies) for the older blocks...some time in the future?

I have only read about things like FBW...but never actually seen such a system as compared to conventional flight control systems. So my question is...is it possible(in terms of room available) to replace the conventional flight controls with FBW(including redundancies) for the older blocks...some time in the future?
Given that it has not been done by anyone before it seems unlikely. Otherwise there may have been legacy fighters which could have had this tech incorporated. However like you I am a technical novice so seed to more knowledgeable people.
A

Given that it has not been done by anyone before it seems unlikely. Otherwise there may have been legacy fighters which could have had this tech incorporated. However like you I am a technical novice so seed to more knowledgeable people.
A
I have only read up...on its function and other such things. I have no idea how big(or small) it actually is...as compared to what it would potentially be replacing. So my question is more about the dimensions of it I guess. So let's hope that some knowledgeable members here can help us both out.
@denel @airomerix @messiach @oscar

Hi,

The axis that is not fly by wire will stay non fly by wire---but just because some of it is not fly by wire---does not mean that it is not upto the mark---.

Let me give an example---two types of NON hydraulic steerings---the conventional steering box type steering system---and the rack and pinion type of steering.

Both these steering system initially came without hydraulic power---but Rack and pinion excelled even then---.

Even when they put hydraulic power on the conventional gear box steering---the non hydraulic rack and pinion steering had much better steering and handling capabilities---.

Hi,

The axis that is not fly by wire will stay non fly by wire---but just because some of it is not fly by wire---does not mean that it is not upto the mark---.

Let me give an example---two types of NON hydraulic steerings---the conventional steering box type steering system---and the rack and pinion type of steering.

Both these steering system initially came without hydraulic power---but Rack and pinion excelled even then---.

Even when they put hydraulic power on the conventional gear box steering---the non hydraulic rack and pinion steering had much better steering and handling capabilities---.
I wasn't asking in terms of superiority of one system over the other. My question was more about wondering if the older blocks can share more and more commonality with block III...to simplify things. Some of the earliest versions of JF17s inducted...would soon be needing extensive overhaul. So I was wondering if during that...these changes were possible(if cost effective).

I wasn't asking in terms of superiority of one system over the other. My question was more about wondering if the older blocks can share more and more commonality with block III...to simplify things. Some of the earliest versions of JF17s inducted...would soon be needing extensive overhaul. So I was wondering if during that...these changes were possible(if cost effective).

Hi,

I very much doubt that would happen---. Technically it does not seem to be feasible---.

The similarity would be with the BLK2's---.

Hi,

I very much doubt that would happen---. Technically it does not seem to be feasible---.

The similarity would be with the BLK2's---.
Is it a space issue? Or cost issue(extensive modification and change in wiring and what not)? This is why I was asking...about dimensions of FBW system as opposed to conventional controls(idk which one JF17 Block I and II have).

Is it a space issue? Or cost issue(extensive modification and change in wiring and what not)? This is why I was asking...about dimensions of FBW system as opposed to conventional controls(idk which one JF17 Block I and II have).
Space wise it should occupy less space as there are no pullies etc. However the technical transformation from a pully based dual redundancy system to full 3 axis FBW/O escapes me. I do however recall that incorporation of full FBW needed quite a few modifications and these may not be possible in older platforms.
Cost could be one factor but as I note it has not been done before and all FBW platforms have been FBW ab initio. So it might be both cost vs benefit as well as technical limitations/modifications which dictate decisions
A

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom