What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

IMO a different use case. Ra'ad/Ra'ad II is primarily for delivering nuclear warheads, while the SOM is a long-range conventional weapon.

But with a warhead weight of 230 kg, the SOM's primary benefit is range (250+ km).

I would much rather develop a new Ra'ad that fits on the JF-17 but carries a 500+ kg warhead, so long-range and heavy. Perhaps something along the lines of the Raptor 3 by Denel Dynamics (which seems to retain the Raptor I/II or H2/H4's 600 kg warhead, while also incorporating an air-breathing engine for cruising).

In fact, I like this Raptor 3 design a lot, seems the folding wings give it a very sleek or thin profile, which means it should theoretically fit under the JF-17's wings.

Plus, besides using our own LACM seeker tech, we can retain the EO/TV seeker of the H-2/H-4 for very precise terminal-stage guidance.

Long-range-Raptor-III-goes-on-display-_AAD143_.jpg

View attachment 597138

@Gryphon

I am still of the opinion that it was the Raptor III tested from JF-17 in March 2019. A unique design at less than 1000 kg plus Denel touting its all-weather attack capability.

EO-guided Raptor II (H-4) can't be launched in bad weather.

I am still of the opinion that it was the Raptor III tested from JF-17 in March 2019. A unique design at less than 1000 kg plus Denel touting its all-weather attack capability.

it can be used in bad weather because it have infrared sensor in it but for best result its used in fair weather

IIRC we should be able to swap-out the H-2/H-4's EO with IIR or INS/GPS. I think the benefit of this series is the modular/optional seeker capability, basically fit-for-mission/scenario.

IMO a different use case. Ra'ad/Ra'ad II is primarily for delivering nuclear warheads, while the SOM is a long-range conventional weapon.

But with a warhead weight of 230 kg, the SOM's primary benefit is range (250+ km).

I would much rather develop a new Ra'ad that fits on the JF-17 but carries a 500+ kg warhead, so long-range and heavy. Perhaps something along the lines of the Raptor 3 by Denel Dynamics (which seems to retain the Raptor I/II or H2/H4's 600 kg warhead, while also incorporating an air-breathing engine for cruising).

In fact, I like this Raptor 3 design a lot, seems the folding wings give it a very sleek or thin profile, which means it should theoretically fit under the JF-17's wings.

Plus, besides using our own LACM seeker tech, we can retain the EO/TV seeker of the H-2/H-4 for very precise terminal-stage guidance.

Long-range-Raptor-III-goes-on-display-_AAD143_.jpg

View attachment 597138

@Gryphon
SOM is powered by a turbojet engine and can be assigned a new target in-flight. Can Raptor 2 & 3 do that???

It can be the Takbir also
View attachment 597236

GIDS REK aka Takbir has been around for years now and its usage with JF-17s is public knowledge.

The footage of the March 2019 test was blurred by PAF but the blast and crater resembled that of a Raptor-III like weapon with penetration warhead. And the 'extended range smart weapon' appeared to have wings, tail and an engine.

Back
Top Bottom