What's new

JF-17 Thunder variant may be popular among developing nations

Fahad Khan 2

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
CB19X0027H_2013%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7%89%87_N71_copy1.JPG

JF-17 Thunder variant may be popular among developing nations
The JF-17 Block-II — the upgrade version of the JF-17 Thunder or Xiaolong fighter jet co-designed by China and Pakistan — is likely to be a very popular combat aircraft among developing nations, according to the Diplomat, an online current affairs magazine based in Tokyo.

Quoting reports from the Washington-based online portals Defense News and Defense Talk, the Diplomat stated that Pakistan has recently launched production of the JF-17 Block-II at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex near Islamabad. The country expects to begin exporting the aircraft next year, the report said, adding the newer JF-17 Block-II variants possesses more advanced weapons systems and avionics.

"We've been getting inquiries and expressions of interest for the JF-17 Thunder from many countries in the Middle East, Africa and from as far as South America," said Air Marshal Sohail Gul Khan of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex.

A report published in 2010 indicated that the potential buyers of JF-17 includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

The Pakistan Aeronautical Complex has already produced 50 older and less-advanced JF-17 Block-1 fighters for the nation's air force. This low-cost multirole single engine fighter was originally co-designed by China's Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group and the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex. In China, the aircraft is called the FC-1 Xiaolong or Fierce Dragon.

Earlier last week, Pakistani prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, visited the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex to officially inaugurate the beginning of the Block-II production. The event was also attended by Chinese delegates and the Pakistan air force, the Diplomat said.

Source

What about the 6 jets order by Sri Lanka in last year. would it be delivered after 50 block2's or before.

What is the price difference between block-1 and 2?

Is that the price difference or the cost of block2?

Estimated cost of the Block-2.

The jet is under construction at PAC, we'll know for a fact when it comes out, specs, price, capabilities etc

What about the 6 jets order by Sri Lanka in last year. would it be delivered after 50 block2's or before.

Most probably, they will be produced in parallel to our requirements.

We are listening about interested Nation since couple of years and Azerbaijan is probably the only country so far has placed its order. Other countries might be negotiating price, delivery time frame or their licensed production line established in their own country. We had learned that Egypt is negotiating that but how close to settlement we are is not known.

I am most interested in Middle Eastern countries who primarily receive their equipment from the west. If they procure JF-17, that would mean a major shift for them and us.

I am sure the moment Egypt decides to buy JF-17 and acquire the BVR capability, Americans would offer them the upgrades and AIM120.

Hmm, but they need to sort out their civil war mess first.

I am sure the moment Egypt decides to buy JF-17 and acquire the BVR capability, Americans would offer them the upgrades and AIM120.

Hmm, but they need to sort out their civil war mess first.

Due to political vacuum and instability, egypt won't spend much but russians have milked them with mig-29 under some arrangement/loans.

We don't know what went thought EAF's mind with such a poor decision of getting $3.2b worth 20 Block 52s when they knew no AMRAAMs would be sold in years to come they could have simply gone for comprehensive upgrades MLUs for number of their Fleet to Block 50/52 standards. Also this $3.2b is not US aid but out of egypt's coffers. AIM 120 is a very critical component with 240+20 F-16s AIM-120 would make a huge difference so no even if JF-17 is remotely procured egypt will never see AMRAAMs or limited in numbers that could change balance. Some people up in the top brass lineup in EAF are not sincere in my opinion they are making all sorts of senseless decisions.

Due to political vacuum and instability, egypt won't spend much but russians have milked them with mig-29 under some arrangement/loans.

We don't know what went thought EAF's mind with such a poor decision of getting $3.2b worth 20 Block 52s when they knew no AMRAAMs would be sold in years to come they could have simply gone for comprehensive upgrades MLUs for number of their Fleet to Block 50/52 standards. Also this $3.2b is not US aid but out of egypt's coffers. AIM 120 is a very critical component with 240+20 F-16s AIM-120 would make a huge difference so no even if JF-17 is remotely procured egypt will never see AMRAAMs or limited in numbers that could change balance. Some people up in the top brass lineup in EAF are not sincere in my opinion they are making all sorts of senseless decisions.

The current F-16 deal for EAF was not US Aid, but most of their older ones were. So they probably thought, get the F-16s, and then get the AIM120 later.

Which makes me wonder, how the hell does Israel get them (on aid) but Egypt doesn't?

I guess PAF ended up better, at least we got the critical AIM120s.

Mig-29 is a twin engine, not sure if Egypt would want to have such type and depends what configuration Russia offers. JF-17 would be cheaper and at par, plus getting Egypt closer to another rising ally: China.

~ $25 million.

Lca tejas mk1 costs almost $30m excluding development costs, jf17 blk1 =$10-15m, jf17 blk2=$20-25m.. That is tejas's unit cost is double that of blk1 and $5m more than blk2... If this difference is with a western aircraft, we can assume because of diff economic conditions.. Here that is not an excuse.. Engine of both aircrafts are imported.. Everyöne including you saying jf17 blk1 better than lca mk1.. If it is a 5 mil diff we can absorb.. But here the difference is big $15m.. Then why you people not admitting lca better than jft because it costs double (global truth) and at the same time proud of building one of the most cost effective fighter plane in the world.. Otherwise pls explain which components in jf thunder are so much cost effective against the same in tejas..

The current F-16 deal for EAF was not US Aid, but most of their older ones were. So they probably thought, get the F-16s, and then get the AIM120 later.

Which makes me wonder, how the hell does Israel get them (on aid) but Egypt doesn't?

I guess PAF ended up better, at least we got the critical AIM120s.

Mig-29 is a twin engine, not sure if Egypt would want to have such type and depends what configuration Russia offers. JF-17 would be cheaper and at par, plus getting Egypt closer to another rising ally: China.

Despite. everything PAF is lucky to receive some best things from US.

Egypt are the ones started war with israel in the past, isrealis are sensitive of their enemies, they will face the tune forever no AMRAAMs. That's why I said Egypt have some fools in their top brass making poor decisions. We do not know but how many fulcrums could be purchased but if it is a large number in batches they shall alone going to suffer maintenance nightmare and operational readiness would be suffered. As a neutral person even FC-1 could have filled the much needed equipment/weapons in less than 1.5b 3x the numbers the ones they spent on merely 20 f-16s a total of 3.2b of which 4 delivered rest halted and why not it is US that have been funding them for almost 35 Years keeping even with the US aid their russian/french aircrafts operational a 3b aid yearly. Anyways at the end of the day their decisions that may turn right or wrong.

Back
Top Bottom