What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Also taller/beefier landing gear means more internal space used up to stow it. In a small jet like Thunder that is already crammed for space, I do not think there is alot of spare space available for such an endeavor. Not to forget the added weight of such a landing gear, if you do not complement that with added thrust it reduces fighter performance.

Hi,

Technically it is the unstability factor that comes in with a taller gear---because the center of gravity has changed.

Remember it is easier to topple over taller objects of same base width as compared to shorter object.

That is why you see that sports cars are wider and closer to the ground. You may ask---but the aircraft flies---.

Answer is---before it flies---it has to run to build speed to fly---or when it lands a shorter wider optimally spaced landing provides for a stable landing---.

Just like in a Jeep or on a truck you put taller tires---the Jeep / truck is more prone to rollover.

Same thing with the aircraft---. Now if you widen the stance---ie---move the landing gear outwards and then make them taller---that would compensate

Last edited:
ADA at Skardu..

104922952_3015178835256057_5097256346208868131_o.jpg

Also taller/beefier landing gear means more internal space used up to stow it. In a small jet like Thunder that is already crammed for space, I do not think there is alot of spare space available for such an endeavor. Not to forget the added weight of such a landing gear, if you do not complement that with added thrust it reduces fighter performance.

Thunder was developed in 2.75 years (See AVM Latif interview). Many subsystems were developed in parallel. surely tolerances were kept and subsystems like the landing gear, could have had room for improvement.

If PAF wanted to increase Block 3 landing gear height be say, 2 inches, I don't think it would be an insurmountable challenge. I personally feel it is perfectly doable without changing width.

ADA at Skardu..

104922952_3015178835256057_5097256346208868131_o.jpg
PAF seems pretty satisfied with this AA configuration considering that CFTs are already operational and the hardpoints currently occupied by drop tanks can instead be utilised by additional BVRs if CFTs are mounted.

Messiach was probably mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom