What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Don't forget the centreline fuel tank.

Jf carry 3000 liter internal bloc 1/2 plus another 3000 in drop tanks or 1100x 2 plus 800 tank on centerline

With B model and block 3 internal fuel was increased

F7 internal fuel is 2300 liters plus 2x 500 liter and 1x800 lites tank on centerline

Don't forget the centreline fuel tank.
With 6 missiles a centre line tank becomes mandatory but still at a cost of reduced range.

Jf carry 3000 liter internal bloc 1/2 plus another 3000 in drop tanks or 1100x 2 plus 800 tank on centerline

F7 internal fuel is 2300 liters plus 2x 500 liter and 1x800 lites tank on centerline

Thanks for the correction,on PAC website it does say 3000L.

Hi isn’t it possible to do buddy refuelling with F7 which are not much in demand during the war
Thank you

With 6 missiles a centre line tank becomes mandatory but still at a cost of reduced range.

Thanks for the correction,on PAC website it does say 3000L.
There was talk of CFTs on JFT. I think if it can be done it would be a huge plus for the fighter. Again range gain vs loss of maneouverability exercise must have been carried out.
A

There was talk of CFTs on JFT. I think if it can be done it would be a huge plus for the fighter. Again range gain vs loss of maneouverability exercise must have been carried out.
A

I’m sure they have, possibly we might see it on Block III (hoping) just having those would free up hard points that we need.

A

Doesn't seem like that is happening anytime soon.

Thank you so much.

Some early electronic capabilities of Jf17 block 1.

IMG_20200415_233741.jpg

I saw this little video on the famed F20 Tigershark that never was. This informal video mentions how Pakistan's Pursuit for F16 (along with other nations) was the first nail for the F20. But the F20 was a fighter ahead of time with features that are reflected in the JF17. (maybe in the griphen too:D:D)

F16 has complexities and its a medium size fighter, not a light machine and requires more advanced training time to fly it, then paired with other complexities. Thus the need for a fighter which is low cost, easier to fly and maintain with exceptional technological avionics & sensors features found on say a F16 etc.

Strangely vis a vis Pakistan skipping the F20 and hot pursuit of F16 did finally come full circle with the JF17. As F20 is in essence living in the JF17.

Personally I guess the adoption of F-7PG makes sense now! Pakistan could have done with both F16 and F20 too.

I saw this little video on the famed F20 Tigershark that never was. This informal video mentions how Pakistan's Pursuit for F16 (along with other nations) was the first nail for the F20. But the F20 was a fighter ahead of time with features that are reflected in the JF17. (maybe in the griphen too:D:D)

F16 has complexities and its a medium size fighter, not a light machine and requires more advanced training time to fly it, then paired with other complexities. Thus the need for a fighter which is low cost, easier to fly and maintain with exceptional technological avionics & sensors features found on say a F16 etc.

Strangely vis a vis Pakistan skipping the F20 and hot pursuit of F16 did finally come full circle with the JF17. As F20 is in essence living in the JF17.

Personally I guess the adoption of F-7PG makes sense now! Pakistan could have done with both F16 and F20 too.

It was
Not just simplicity etc but gd/LM also dropped price to kill competition further because usaf and eu bought that meant the number went up and the logistics and other aspects were also better

lastly they tried f-16/79 for a cheaper plus low tech but no one wanted to buy even paf

Bottomline it’s was not just product specs but politics and LM killing competition, why give them a chance
One last thing f-20 I think was also pitched against f-16 for ANG air defense aircraft Which eventually went to f-16 Adv as the price was cut and some claimed LM sold them for loss but I doubt it

Last edited:

I had a look at both the videos. Thank you for posting. I think PAF was offered production in house for the F20. The issues have also been highlighted.
F16 was a next generation fighter that everyone wanted and so when export restrictions were relaxed everyone got them. One problem for the F20 was just 5 HPs as against 9 for 16s. When the F20s were pushed to higher Gs two fighters crashed and that is very bad news for a matured fighter pointing to possible flaws in design or cutting corners to save cost. One thought would have been if there is a redesign needed to correct the flaw who would foot the bill. The same for increasing HPs to 7.
I also agree PAF should have looked at asking for in house production of the F20 and asked the producers to increase HPs to 7. This would have given us the JFT in the 80s along with the 16. I agree that F20 might have made sense with the 16 not in place of 16s.
A

These are the exact reasons why JF-17 won't sell.
JF-17 marketing team is promoting the same aspects that killed F20 Tigershark.
PAF is trying to sell what they think is the value proposition of this product, customers buy what they think is the perceived value of the product. PAF has to align its promotion with the customer's perceived value of a fighter jet.

[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom