What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

As described elsewhere, in certain sectors along the LOC, the JF-17s have taken over CAPs duties leaving the F-16s free to perform other roles. A fully loaded JF-17 heading out to carry out it's CAP along the Indian border.

81625918_2604124836361461_8565844799041568768_o.jpg

We have seen F16s with al least 4 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders + Fuel tanks perform these CAPs. How can the JF17 be an adequate substitute for that level of firepower with only 2 SD10s? ... or has PAF taken to flying 2 JF17s for every 1 F16 to compenstate for the deficiency ?? Does this not represent a degradation of CAP capbility near the LOC right when we need more ?

Last edited:
With IFR, JF-17 can load out with 4 SD-10 + 2 PL10s. It does not need to carry a tank on each wing as the one on its centerline/fuselage can suffice.

But your second point could also be correct in that 1+1 JF-17 gives more flexibility. All depends on the situation.

With IFR, JF-17 can load out with 4 SD-10 + 2 PL10s. It does not need to carry a tank on each wing as the one on its centerline/fuselage can suffice.

But your second point could also be correct in that 1+1 JF-17 gives more flexibility. All depends on the situation.

No, you cannot presently load out a JF17 with 4 SD10s. Everything about the JF17 programme clearly states that both Block I and Block II were only ever wired for load out with 2 SD-10s, and not 4 SD-10s.. The plane currently cannot carry/use 4 SD10s.

Maybe Block III can, but that one is over 1year, if not more, away from induction into the PAF.

No, you cannot presently load out a JF17 with 4 SD10s. Everything about the JF17 programme clearly states that both Block I and Block II were only ever wired for load out with 2 SD-10s, and not 4 SD-10s.. The plane currently cannot carry/use 4 SD10s.

Maybe Block III can, but that one is over 1year, if not more, away from induction into the PAF.
sir if you were forum member in 2010 you will just dream of AESA and BVR . i still remember when only USA use stealth jets and AESA radars . today we have both . our longest range missile till 2010 was R-DARTER :D

All the marketing collateral shows 4 SD-10s on stations 2 and 6 with dual racks. If PAF is not loading it out as such it remains to be seen why. But the marketing collateral indicates wiring is possible for 2+2 configuration.

In either case, if the aircraft is only carrying 2 total, then as you suggested, some other tactics would need to be considered such as employing more aircraft.

sir if you were forum member in 2010 you will just dream of AESA and BVR . i still remember when only USA use stealth jets and AESA radars . today we have both . our longest range missile till 2010 was R-DARTER :D

"Sir", i was involved in Pakistani defence forums when the "Defenders of Pakistan Forum" managed by Syed Amir Husssain was the place to go. I remember moving onto Pakdef when it was created after "Defenders of Pakistan Forum" was shutdown. And, now that Pakdef has died a horrible miserable slow painful death, I am here now.... I am well aware of the growth of PAF, and its capabilities...

"Sir", i was involved in Pakistani defence forums when the "Defenders of Pakistan Forum" managed by Syed Amir Husssain was the place to go. I remember moving onto Pakdef when it was created after "Defenders of Pakistan Forum" was shutdown. And, now that Pakdef has died a horrible miserable slow painful death, I am here now.... I am well aware of the growth of PAF, and its capabilities...
so as you were in that party sir what will be our emotions if we see just single SD-10 loaded under any pakistani jet ? not 2 or 4 :lol: pakdef have great info and images sad to hear they closed it :rolleyes:

so as you were in that party sir what will be our emotions if we see just single SD-10 loaded under any pakistani jet ? not 2 or 4 :lol: pakdef have great info and images sad to hear they closed it :rolleyes:

I am happy to see SD10s(would be more to have seen Block I with 4 of them.. short sighted decision by PAF, just like the lack of JF17B until the market forced PAF to correct their silly mistake and make it....), I still remember both the 2001 and 2008 standoff, when all PAF had to throw back at IAF was stones ... we have come along way, but lets not kid ourselves, PAF has made some real mistakes aswell as some good ones..

I am happy to see SD10s(would be more to have seen Block I with 4 of them.. short sighted decision by PAF, just like the lack of JF17B until the market forced PAF to correct their silly mistake and make it....), I still remember the 2001 standoff, when all PAF had to throw back at IAF was stones ... we have come along way, but lets not kid ourselves, PAF has made some real mistakes aswell as some good ones..

And the claims that our rose mirage has the almost mythical darters.

All the marketing collateral shows 4 SD-10s on stations 2 and 6 with dual racks. If PAF is not loading it out as such it remains to be seen why. But the marketing collateral indicates wiring is possible for 2+2 configuration.

In either case, if the aircraft is only carrying 2 total, then as you suggested, some other tactics would need to be considered such as employing more aircraft.

It may have to do with SD-10 in air time before overhaul. There was a post about this subject somewhere. SD-10 has less air time before overhaul than AIM-120. Anyways, in PAF-IAF scenarios after firing the BVRs, the planes most likely be converging and WVR will come into play.

It may have to do with SD-10 in air time before overhaul. There was a post about this subject somewhere. SD-10 has less air time before overhaul than AIM-120. Anyways, in PAF-IAF scenarios after firing the BVRs, the planes most likely be converging and WVR will come into play.

Another reason could be that the current radar can only guide two missiles at one time.

We have seen F16s with al least 4 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders + Fuel tanks perform these CAPs. How can the JF17 be an adequate substitute for that level of firepower with only 2 SD10s? ... or has PAF taken to flying 2 JF17s for every 1 F16 to compenstate for the deficiency ?? Does this not represent a degradation of CAP capability near the LOC right when we need more ?
As per my humble opinion it is quoted that every time F16 flies there are certain parts which require replacement as well as life of the AAMs installed becomes shorter while installed as compared to be stored on ground. They also require overhauls or expire soon.
Considering current scenario it is a must for PAF to keep their F16s and installed AAMs ready for actual conflict. No such limitations exist in case of JF17s or SD10. The cost factor shall also be there.

We have seen F16s with al least 4 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders + Fuel tanks perform these CAPs. How can the JF17 be an adequate substitute for that level of firepower with only 2 SD10s? ... or has PAF taken to flying 2 JF17s for every 1 F16 to compenstate for the deficiency ?? Does this not represent a degradation of CAP capbility near the LOC right when we need more ?
The person who designed JF-17 with less than 2 hardpoints should be given the Musharraf like punishment....
I mean how it was impossible to add 2 additional hardpoints under jft?
There should be a trial for PAF officials for not considering 2 additional hardpoints....
I mean how these people can live in fantasy word?
Who are they to not add a hard point underwing ? To calm there mental pests?
The reality is that Mki can carry 14 R-77
Archers..... @Imran Khan

The person who designed JF-17 with less than 2 hardpoints should be given the Musharraf like punishment....
I mean how it was impossible to add 2 additional hardpoints under jft?
There should be a trial for PAF officials for not considering 2 additional hardpoints....
I mean how these people can live in fantasy word?
Who are they to not add a hard point underwing ? To calm there mental pests?
The reality is that Mki can carry 14 R-77
Archers..... @Imran Khan

Maybe limitations from technology available for us at the start of the project ? Engine, radar, etc... and of course without forgetting budget available ?

I’m not expert so I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom