What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Because we don't have the industrial infrastructure required for in-house manufacturing and a company sole for this is not economically feasible ... However, with aviation city in pipeline, success of thunder Super Mushaq, Plan of in-house production of 5th generation fighter aircraft we are moving towards in-house production but it will take time,,, and will not be feasible without private sector getting involved in aviation sector and electonics ...
I think the only trickier area would be the development of Sensors and Seeker heads, the rocket motor technology is where we already do have some sort of experience.
I agree that private sector's money should be attracted to the defence sector. The government can sponsor some from those existing in the market after tendering. Like the government can invite bids from some local companies for a specific type of seeker head and chose the best according to PAF requirement for supportive funding in R&D, 10-20 million dollars a year should do fine, but strict oversight on financial management will also be required. And fine be imposed in case of not meeting targets. The defence industrial base would once have to be set in motion, it won't drive itself without some ignition.

I think the only trickier area would be the development of Sensors and Seeker heads, the rocket motor technology is where we already do have some sort of experience.
I agree that private sector's money should be attracted to the defence sector. The government can sponsor some from those existing in the market after tendering. Like the government can invite bids from some local companies for a specific type of seeker head and chose the best according to PAF requirement for supportive funding in R&D, 10-20 million dollars a year should do fine, but strict oversight on financial management will also be required. And fine be imposed in case of not meeting targets. The defence industrial base would once have to be set in motion, it won't drive itself without some ignition.

Can you name these private sector companies in Pakistan? Interested to know.

I believe that would be GIDS, Shibli even Integrated dynamics, but their website doesn't seem to be frequently updated.
Now, even if we don't have any such company or these don't fulfil our merit requirements than we should start establishing some. Getting a company up and running is not expensive, you just need to sell the idea. We seem to have good managers in many services run businesses.
@Trisonics

Last edited:
Found this in my archive. Anyone with access to the Jane's article mentioned here as the source?

KLJ-7 130km for 3sqm.JPG

Found this in my archive. Anyone with access to the Jane's article mentioned here as the source?

View attachment 431926

There are also interviews in AFM in which it stated it’s as good as any western options that were once considered, personally spoken to Someone who flies it and was display pilot [emoji68]‍[emoji574]️ at one of the major air show he told me and I quote “ it’s actually better then f-16 but you will not believe me so I would say it’s as good as f-16 radar” I did not ask which version of f-16 he was comparing to but the bottom line is paf is on the record they are satisfied with it and the only next step up is Aesa radar but for mechanical radar it’s the/was the best option at the time with almost same specs. 68v9 mtbf went up to 300-400 hours klj still ~220-250 that the one of th short conning but again you have to compare price as well paf can buy 5 klj for one v9

Bottom line with awacs and klj paf whole fleet will have 3Plus gen aircraft today they still fly non ai aircraft

Lastly being a poor country I Think with due respect comparing paf to usaf and western air forces is too much

End of story ;)

Last edited:
There are also interviews in AFM in which it stated it’s as good as any western options that were once considered, personally spoken to Someone who flies it and was display pilot [emoji68]‍[emoji574]️ at one of the major air show he told me and I quote “ it’s actually better then f-16 but you will not believe me so I would say it’s as good as f-16 radar” I did not ask which version of f-16 he was comparing to but the bottom line is paf is on the record they are satisfied with it and the only next step up is Aesa radar but for mechanical radar it’s the/was the best option at the time with almost same specs. 68v9 mtbf went up to 300-400 hours klj still ~220-250 that the one of th short conning but again you have to compare price as well paf can buy 5 klj for one v9

Bottom line with awacs and klj paf whole fleet will have 3Plus gen aircraft today they still fly non ai aircraft

Lastly being a poor country I Think with due respect comparing paf to usaf and western air forces is too much

End of story ;)
Thanks.

I am thinking that is the only source with a range for a specific RCS. The other one is the brochure that gave >/=105km for 5sqm. However that is just saying better than 105km which could be anything on the upper limit

Last edited:
Thanks.

I am thinking that is the only source with a range for a specific RCS. The other one is the brochure that gave >/=105km for 5sqm. However that is just saying better than 105 which could anything on the upper limit

do you have copy of KLJ-7 brochure ... if yes plz share

Bars of mki has 140 km range for fighter type approaching target and 50 km for receding klj v2 range may be different anyway like Sweden [emoji1236] paf is not worried about individual fighter radar ranges as it varies plus awacs radar and ground radar provides regular updates via link

Bars of mki has 140 km range for fighter type approaching target and 50 km for receding klj v2 range may be different anyway like Sweden [emoji1236] paf is not worried about individual fighter radar ranges as it varies plus awacs radar and ground radar provides regular updates via link
Now you mentioned AWACS: With the missile seeker range of about 20km, why cant the AWACS guide a BVR missile until the missile is within lock range? I am sure the awacs radar is accurate enough to with say 5km less than 100m (just read a display card of one awacs) With datalink and mid-course guidance, I think a fighter can launch and make a kill all with data from the AWACS

Last edited:
Now you mentioned AWACS: With the missile seeker range of about 20km, why cant the AWACS guide a BVR missile until the missile is within lock range? I am sure the awacs radar is accurate enough to with say 5km less than 100m (just read a display card of one awacs) With datalink and mid-course guidance, I think a fighter can launch and make a kill all with data from the AWACS

This is already the case search web and you will find it ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom