What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch first 14 mins. interesting discussion related to F-16 and JF-17

Interesting learning that Pakistan is getting F-16s mostly funded by American money. :drag:

And Pakistan has nearly 100 JF-17s built. Now that's huge number. :pakistan::china::pakistan::china:

App 800 million for 42-50 jf17 vs 699 million for 8 f16 block 52 since two transactions are far apart 2008 vs 2016 so there may be difference but still 42 vs 8 !!!!

In the above video it is revealed that most part of this is paid by America's own money while Pakistan is only paying a part out of pocket. We might actually end up paying something similar which we spend for JF-17s. So not a bad deal if this is the case.

Second, American sale of equipment despite all of India's propaganda means Americans have flushed Indian allegations of terrorism down the toilet drain.

Interesting indeed. I am sure the amount the US is paying is available somewhere.

My cynical side thinks this might partly be to push Pakistan away from taking on the J-10

Interesting indeed. I am sure the amount the US is paying is available somewhere.

My cynical side thinks this might partly be to push Pakistan away from taking on the J-10
They managed to push away from an impending SU-35 order. J-10 seems to be no longer a PAF interest, JF-17 turned out better than expected and all eyes are now on the J-31/JF-31.

Is it not possible to convert JF-17 into a medium class fighter by lightening its airframe with the use of composites and by installing a 120 KN EJ2x0 and CFTs?

Such an aircraft would be in the same league as F-16C/D Block 50/52 .

@araz

Sir, I would like to read your opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
They managed to push away from an impending SU-35 order. J-10 seems to be no longer a PAF interest, JF-17 turned out better than expected and all eyes are now on the J-31/JF-31.
That might not be the reason why the U.S. is interested in funding the F-16 sale. The U.S. considers the F-16 a foreign policy bridge in Pakistan, a means to maintain 'goodwill' and influence in Pakistan's security circles.

That might not be the reason why the U.S. is interested in funding the F-16 sale. The U.S. considers the F-16 a foreign policy bridge in Pakistan, a means to maintain 'goodwill' and influence in Pakistan's security circles.
its a mixture of the two.for good will and influence and remove the need to buy else where. kill 2 birds with one stone. lets see if they buy any more?

Up, Up and Away!

12742017_753432698123850_1654558034541417647_n.jpg

Salman's Collection

Is it not possible to convert JF-17 into a medium class fighter by lightening its airframe with the use of composites and by installing a 120 KN EJ2x0 and CFTs?

The MTOW and thrust on the FC-1 we were talking about 10 years ago is not the same today. Looking the the F-15 and F-16 weights and engine thrusts shows the American story. The F-16 Block 60 is 85% heavier than Block 15!
. The same %age increase for the rngine thrust.

102.gif

@araz

Noted. Will respond tomorrow. It is too late in the day to think clearly.
A

@araz

Hi,

The JF 17 is a tad bit too small an aircraft---to be converted to a medium sized fighter aircraft---.

Hi,

You are not being cynical at all----. The U S knows that once pakistan moves away from the F16---there is no way of getting it back---.

App 800 million for 42-50 jf17 vs 699 million for 8 f16 block 52 since two transactions are far apart 2008 vs 2016 so there may be difference but still 42 vs 8 !!!!

Hi,

They must have 5 years maintenance parts package as well----that is what it looks like---per @Viper0011.

@araz

The problem is in funding and time. You know that aircraft designs are not as simple as designing cars or other machines. Because of the risks involved it needs to be tested extensively and costs money.
So there are 3 aspects to it:
A) finding a bigger engine and establishing overhauling facilities for it. Iam assuming it is going to be Russian as well probably AL series. WS10 is too unreliable to be considered at the moment.
B) Redesigning the whole fuselage with associated testing and evaluation(therefore time and money).
C) the likelihood is the design characteristics might not alter tremendously and therefore there is too much of a nelement of predictability. You will laso not bring any newer technology as the source remains the same.
So you have found a very expensive way of producing a J10 equivalent of JFT which you were trying to avoid, it will come in 2020-23 assuming you start tomorrow, you cant do it alone which is why it wont happen as the Chinese will not allow you to produce a plane which will compromise sales of their J10 series.
So all in all not a good idea.I think wait for a couple of years to get a better RD series engine for JFT, increase the composite element of ti to reduce the weigh and add a couple of hardpoints for PODs and new ewsuite and Radar and you have what you need on a more ceconomical manner.
Hope this helps
A

If RAAD was fired from JF 17 then why not show it clearly such as Mirage 3.

I think the SU35 saga and I am a great fan of the platform is a bridge too far for PAF. The point is if we have monery for only one new platform for the next decade would you buy SU when the J31 could be online and available to you by 2020( for instance). I think if it is not available till 2025 and PAF fianaces improve it would be prudent to still go for SU35 but at this point in time , there are too many risks to take on this venture. I do think/wish/hope ( without any personal source) that PAF evaluates it but I also think it will not be acquired. My 2 paisas worth .
A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom