What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
12278649_453832208154943_4530378862397693027_n.png

janab 29 is without 2P its block1 and other picture not seems to me block 2 as black panthers were equipped long before then 15 .

These are Block II look at the number 15-212

Means 15 = 2015 year of induction
-2 means Block 2
12 means Plane No.12
Posted No 11 and 14 JF-17 Block II pics in Yellow 2P11 and 2P14
15-212-jpg.276253

jf-17_thunder_block_2_pac_kamra_2015_05.jpg

Same as this look at the Number

11-134

11 is year of induction
-1 means block 1
34 mean number of plane

This is confusing.....
Is Pakistan already upgrading Blk1 to Blk2 standard even before introducing refuel probe......?
How many Blk2 are produced so far.....?

Are serial No of older aircrafts are renamed after upgradation?

older number plated AC remains as is

as far as i know, the upgrade is yet to start

JF-17 - No denying that it's already a beast to deal with, but InShaAllah it will mature in to an excellent platform, a nightmare for those who oppose it. But what's more heartening is to see the level of enthusiasm on this thread for it.

I was about to give up hope on this forum, then I came across two threads, that changed my mind. This one, and another one on Pakistan before the '90s.

Thank You and Good Work, keep it up!

i posted picture of JF17 block 2 have 17 written on it and was taken in July and we can say around 70+ we have now based on 4 month production and one plane per month rate

The Current Status of JF-17 Thunder Project
china, PAF, Pakistan, PLAAF
As PAC starts the production of second block of JF-17, it's good to take a look at where the project is right now. I won't go over the history of the project, since that can be found online or any of the many forums. At this point, PAF remains the only operator of JF-17. They have finished the production of the first block of 50 JF-17s out of the 150 they ordered. There have been persistent news coming out of Pakistan that more will be ordered, but I don't think that's finalized. By all account, PAF has been fairly satisfied with the performance of the aircraft and the project as a whole. I don't have the latest number, but PAC is now capable of producing most parts of JF-17 with engine been the lone major subsystem that is outside their expertise. There have been numerous reports of sales to other country, but none of them have concluded.
There were the 12 JF-17s to Zimbabwe and the 24 JF-17s to Azerbaijan, which never came to fruition. There were also the more persistent stories of concluded sales to Egypt and possible sales to Argentina. In the former case, China lost the deal after Mubarak and the new government is now picking Mig-29s over JF-17s. In the latter case, Argentinian economy has bigger issues like hyperinflation to deal with and will not have the ability to purchase fighter jets anytime soon. The problem for JF-17 has always been finding the right customers. China's traditional customers don't have the need or the money for something like JF-17. They have most opted for J-7s and K-8s in the recent years. L-15 is fighting the same issues. In the more affluent markets, JF-17 has been fighting against used F-16s, Mig-29s and other better known 4th generation fighter jets with more customers. It's hard to make the case for JF-17 while PAF remains its only operator. Having said that, I think JF-17 still has a bright future. PAF have really made JF-17 project what it is today by discovering/expanding the flight envelopes of the aircraft and working with various Chinese firms to add support for SD-10A, SRAAM, C-802A, various PGMs and the infamous mach 4.5 CM-400AG.
We've heard recently that Saudi Arabia is interested in getting involved in the JF-17 project. Certainly, if KSA does purchase JF-17, that would be a huge shot in the arm for the entire program and its export prospects around the world (especially the rest of Muslim world). More importantly, I think PLAAF will be placing orders for JF-17 in the next few years. In a recent interview from Singapore Air Show, the VP of AVIC-1 said that domestic engine options should be available for JF-17 soon.
China Air and Naval Power

janab 29 is without 2P its block1 and other picture not seems to me block 2 as black panthers were equipped long before then 15 .

Apparently, the 'P' is included in the serial while it is under construction. That bird is a completed version sitting in China and hence the serial 229 >>> 2nd block, 29th bird.

Just like this one, which was also sent to China,

A507D5BD-AA17-4C18-9541-8AA0DB42BBA2_zpseilz9zyn.jpg~original

The Current Status of JF-17 Thunder Project
china, PAF, Pakistan, PLAAF
As PAC starts the production of second block of JF-17, it's good to take a look at where the project is right now. I won't go over the history of the project, since that can be found online or any of the many forums. At this point, PAF remains the only operator of JF-17. They have finished the production of the first block of 50 JF-17s out of the 150 they ordered. There have been persistent news coming out of Pakistan that more will be ordered, but I don't think that's finalized. By all account, PAF has been fairly satisfied with the performance of the aircraft and the project as a whole. I don't have the latest number, but PAC is now capable of producing most parts of JF-17 with engine been the lone major subsystem that is outside their expertise. There have been numerous reports of sales to other country, but none of them have concluded.
There were the 12 JF-17s to Zimbabwe and the 24 JF-17s to Azerbaijan, which never came to fruition. There were also the more persistent stories of concluded sales to Egypt and possible sales to Argentina. In the former case, China lost the deal after Mubarak and the new government is now picking Mig-29s over JF-17s. In the latter case, Argentinian economy has bigger issues like hyperinflation to deal with and will not have the ability to purchase fighter jets anytime soon. The problem for JF-17 has always been finding the right customers. China's traditional customers don't have the need or the money for something like JF-17. They have most opted for J-7s and K-8s in the recent years. L-15 is fighting the same issues. In the more affluent markets, JF-17 has been fighting against used F-16s, Mig-29s and other better known 4th generation fighter jets with more customers. It's hard to make the case for JF-17 while PAF remains its only operator. Having said that, I think JF-17 still has a bright future. PAF have really made JF-17 project what it is today by discovering/expanding the flight envelopes of the aircraft and working with various Chinese firms to add support for SD-10A, SRAAM, C-802A, various PGMs and the infamous mach 4.5 CM-400AG.
We've heard recently that Saudi Arabia is interested in getting involved in the JF-17 project. Certainly, if KSA does purchase JF-17, that would be a huge shot in the arm for the entire program and its export prospects around the world (especially the rest of Muslim world). More importantly, I think PLAAF will be placing orders for JF-17 in the next few years. In a recent interview from Singapore Air Show, the VP of AVIC-1 said that domestic engine options should be available for JF-17 soon.
China Air and Naval Power

But that piece was written back in Feb, 2014. Since then the possible Saudi involvement was found to be a bust and an export customer has been found.

Last edited:
I was about to give up hope on this forum,

One can't blame you for that. This forum now is a far cry from what it use to be. If you read posts from 2010-11 era you will be surprised how good the quality was.

JF-17 - No denying that it's already a beast to deal with, but InShaAllah it will mature in to an excellent platform, a nightmare for those who oppose it. But what's more heartening is to see the level of enthusiasm on this thread for it.

Honestly I don't see JF-17 making it to nations like UAE, KSA or Qatar. But there is good chance that they may fund procurements for smaller budget deficient countries. Say for example Yemen. After stability returns and rebuilding of Yemen starts, they will need defense forces to thwart any further attempt to create anarchy. I can foresee UAE, KSA and Qatar playing major role in rearming and training of Yemeni national forces. It is safe to assume they won't be getting F-15s or Typhoons rather more like JF-17s or may be a dozen or so Mirage-2000s (used). I see an opportunity there for Pakistani defense exports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom