What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the topic, quite a small yet interesting detail mentioned about a retractable probe. Although most earlier news mentions a fixed type. Perhaps it is retractable in length and not as such a folding type.

Also, COPYRIGHT. COPYRIGHT. COPYRIGHT!

Wasn't the retractable probe dropped in favor of a fixed one to reduce costs? The awkward right angle in the line just behind the cockpit may be inelegant but I bet it works very well.

Wasn't the retractable probe dropped in favor of a fixed one to reduce costs? The awkward right angle in the line just behind the cockpit may be inelegant but I bet it works very well.

It was, I am guessings its retractable in the same vein as an extendible pipe if the AVM has been quoted correctly.

It was, I am guessings its retractable in the same vein as an extendible pipe if the AVM has been quoted correctly.

Retractable IFR probe is only to reduce high speed drag compared to non-retractable ones, but usually both need to be extended to deploy for use.

Retractable IFR probe is only to reduce high speed drag compared to non-retractable ones, but usually both need to be extended to deploy for use.

I am quite skeptical of the claim in the article. Since we already have a picture of the testbed with the IFR probe. Unless they have decided to change that design(+costs,time etc) for reasons I am not too sure of(as a good Fixed IFR design minimized drag.. case in point the Rafale) .

Oscar, I could be wrong on this but as far as I am informed the picture you saw was a temp IFR just to test how the planes system works. They did ground testing after the plane was upgraded (software and hardware) in China. After that they moved on with other plane with inflight testing. My guess is that we saw just a test module.

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge but will JF17 (block II & III) be equipped with Russian RD-93 engines just like block I.

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge but will JF17 (block II & III) be equipped with Russian RD-93 engines just like block I.
Currently, yes. While the initial engines needed have already been purchased from Russia, if the JF-17 is to be exported, we'll probably see Chinese engines on the thunder.

What if Russia refuse to provide the engines?

Why would they? The JF-17's customer base (Pakistan and export potential customers) are not considered Russian customers, so the Russians are getting money from a source they would probably never get any from. It's win-win for the Russians.

Oscar, I could be wrong on this but as far as I am informed the picture you saw was a temp IFR just to test how the planes system works. They did ground testing after the plane was upgraded (software and hardware) in China. After that they moved on with other plane with inflight testing. My guess is that we saw just a test module.

If that was a temp IFR then the real deal also needs testing. The IFR system is to be installed and tested here and not in China(since its NOT from China) which means that they would need further testing with the finished design.

75964_278352858986826_1645400734_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom