What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pshamim sahib ! A question : Can some of the things incorporated on the JF-17 be devolved to the F-7Ps to juice out, perhaps, another decade from then as a decently capable/competitive platform ?

I doubt it. F-7Ps will need to go throuh major structural changes. But I do hear that there are major changes proposed for later models. I do not know if it is true but rumors are that in the future, there may be two models, one strictly for Pakistan and other for export. In addition, it is also believed that JF-17 will end up as a carrier based aircraft along along with J-14 on Chinese carrier. But at this moment, it is only a serious rumor. What progress we see on JF17 along with its weapons set will give us an idea if the rumors are genuine.

By the way KD-88 were tested on PT-06 pointing to a true multirole aircraft the JF-17 will be.

dont thin so its also about airframe. it wouldnt be easy to get more out the f-7 airframe beyond 2020 besides the PAF doesnt want to invest more in F7 it would better spend that money in JF-17s

I see..! The thing is that when I hear about the F-7s retiring my thoughts keep reverting back to the Al-Zarrars and I wonder whether an analogy can be drawn between the two ! Can, perhaps, spending $5-6M a piece on the F-7Ps make them into a platform that might not set the world on fire but it might still provide considerable value as a deterrent ?

I doubt it. F-7Ps will need to go throuh major structural changes. But I do hear that there are major changes proposed for later models. I do not know if it is true but rumors are that in the future, there may be two models, one strictly for Pakistan and other for export. In addition, it is also believed that JF-17 will end up as a carrier based aircraft along along with J-14 on Chinese carrier. But at this moment, it is only a serious rumor. What progress we see on JF17 along with its weapons set will give us an idea if the rumors are genuine.

By the way KD-88 were tested on PT-06 pointing to a true multirole aircraft the JF-17 will be.

Pshamim Sahib : Thank You for the response...I appreciate it ! But if I can bother you with one more question : In lay man terms (because the last time I studied Physics was the A'Levels) 'What makes a JF-17 so flexible in its design that it can go from being an 'Air Superiority Fighter' to a 'Multi Role (in real terms)' to a 'Naval Version' to a 'Carrier based version' ?' What is this definitive thing that other good platforms like the F-16s, the Mirages, the Mig 29s lack ?

Pshamim Sahib : Thank You for the response...I appreciate it ! But if I can bother you with one more question : In lay man terms (because the last time I studied Physics was the A'Levels) 'What makes a JF-17 so flexible in its design that it can go from being an 'Air Superiority Fighter' to a 'Multi Role (in real terms)' to a 'Naval Version' to a 'Carrier based version' ?' What is this definitive thing that other good platforms like the F-16s, the Mirages, the Mig 29s lack ?

Pilot role and data handling capability, various discreet sensors, data fusion and ability to transfer it to pilot's display using different images with use of different sensor etc.

Hope this answers your question

I see..! The thing is that when I hear about the F-7s retiring my thoughts keep reverting back to the Al-Zarrars and I wonder whether an analogy can be drawn between the two ! Can, perhaps, spending $5-6M a piece on the F-7Ps make them into a platform that might not set the world on fire but it might still provide considerable value as a deterrent ?

Well Brother Armstrong what might be the price tag of this variant of F-7 we are paying. I think its somewhere near what you are suggesting for an upgrade per piece (i.e. $5-6M a piece) and I humbly disagree because we can have a basic model of JFT with a little more investment and as we begin to make the whole air craft here in Pakistan the cost may even cut down. < Need review from seniors like Sir Pshamim.

Pshamim sahib ! A question : Can some of the better things incorporated on the JF-17 that truly give a potent value-for-money dimension to the bird be devolved to the F-7Ps to juice out, perhaps, another decade from then as a decently capable/competitive platform ? I'm not a technical person so I do hope that you will forgive me if it appears that I'm talking utter crap but can Pakistan come up with a cross between the KLJ-7 and the Grifo-7 MK 2 which incorporates some of the better qualities of the former but in the compact size of the latter to give the F-7Ps a distinct BVR capability because from what I've read elsewhere the F-7Ps are a pretty decent platform for dog-fights; in fact if I'm not mistaken someone posted an article here on PDF where the F-7Ps rate of climb (or some similar performance measure) with the F-16 and highlighted the PAF's contentment with the Skybolt as a good..good bird to have !

F7p and g's are great aircraft---but they have seen their last----it is the end of the road for them.

F7p and g's are great aircraft---but they have seen their last----it is the end of the road for them.

The very existence of Thunder endorses this fact. Good thing is there is an upgrade program in place for Thunder's next batches while first one has not been completed yet.

Faruqi Saheb,
Please forgive me for saying so but You really amaze me. You do not know what a Beidu sa is but ready to give your expert opinions on aircrafts and which ones will be better than other. I think you need to grow up. I do not know how old you are but you are coming across as a young man yourself with limited knowledge

Pervaze Shamim sahib: I have great respect for you. Your comments are little hurtful. I have decided not to post any comments on this thread instead I will post my answer on Potential Weakness thread. Please do check it out over there.

Pervaze Shamim sahib: I have great respect for you. Your comments are little hurtful. I have decided not to post any comments on this thread instead I will post my answer on Potential Weakness thread. Please do check it out over there.

i never seen sir Pshamim giving someone such a hard anr he is such a nice man so u must understand that ur questions and thinking are v out of order ur continuously pointing fingers on JF 17 its induction even u are not happy with the whole project

In addition, it is also believed that JF-17 will end up as a carrier based aircraft along along with J-14 on Chinese carrier. But at this moment, it is only a serious rumor. What progress we see on JF17 along with its weapons set will give us an idea if the rumors are genuine.

I guess you mean J15 and what would be the advantage of choosing JF 17 as a low end carrier fighter and not J10?

I guess you mean J15 and what would be the advantage of choosing JF 17 as a low end carrier fighter and not J10?

May be the answer is what benefit and disadvantages would be there in having two high end (J-15 & J-10) on the same carrier.

Both are high end, both are expensive to be bought, both will be expensive to keep operational.

Thus, keep one high end twin engine and another low end, less expensive, less costly to operate fighter in the form of FC-1.

But as suggested its still a rumor and i also believe it won't be the case. Nowadays aircraft carriers are good with twin engine / high end aircraft.

But again who knows what the Chinese are thinking, US aircraft carriers once used to have single engine air superiority fighter F-8 crusader. May be the Chinese are thinking on the lines, to have a point defence / air superiority carrier based fighter in the form of FC-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom