What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscar

Any news, idea etc for future plans of PAF? besides JFT.

Nabil

Hopefully you will be doing well. So as per your past post about JFT stealth version coming out in 2012, any news about the speed. I think currently we are at 1.8 Mach. It would be great if we could get it to 2+ with possible change of power plant. What do you think?

Power plant is not the only thing.. the airflow coming into the engine at those speeds also has to be managed..
aircraft like the F-15 which were designed for zoom climbs to high altitudes and interception of soviet bombers needed high speed performance.. such performance required special inlets to the engine which change shape to adapt to the high speed airflow.. and are thus expensive both in cost and weight..
this was never required for the F-18 or F-35..which are primarily multirole aircraft ..as is the Jf-17..

Power plant is not the only thing.. the airflow coming into the engine at those speeds also has to be managed..
aircraft like the F-15 which were designed for zoom climbs to high altitudes and interception of soviet bombers needed high speed performance.. such performance required special inlets to the engine which change shape to adapt to the high speed airflow.. and are thus expensive both in cost and weight..
this was never required for the F-18 or F-35..which are primarily multirole aircraft ..as is the Jf-17..

Thanks but being a non-technical person bounced right over my head. If you don't mind me asking again, do we need to make alot of changes to increase the speed?

Thanks but being a non-technical person bounced right over my head. If you don't mind me asking again, do we need to make alot of changes to increase the speed?

Yes we do..
Lets just say to increase the speed, we will have to do more than just replace the engine.

Yes we do..
Lets just say to increase the speed, we will have to do more than just replace the engine.

So are there any plans to your knowledge of any changes in design? If rumors are true about stealth, then I believe a lot of design changes would have been incorporated. What do you think?

So are there any plans to your knowledge of any changes in design? If rumors are true about stealth, then I believe a lot of design changes would have been incorporated. What do you think?

No plans to change anything in the design except adding an inflight refuelling probe in the second batch which hits the production lines this month.
There are strong indications of design changes with respect to stealth for the Third batch but that does not start till 2015.

No plans to change anything in the design except adding an inflight refuelling probe in the second batch which hits the production lines this month.
There are strong indications of design changes with respect to stealth for the Third batch but that does not start till 2015.

Last question for the day:

Any news about J-10B and I apologies for being of topic.

Last question for the day:

Any news about J-10B and I apologies for being of topic.

If by that you mean for the PAF...
There is a Letter of Intent signed between PAF and CATIC for the FC-20.. whose specifications were fluid based on whatever new the Chinese offered. As of now it still is a letter of intent for financial reasons only.
But whatever the PAF has in mind for the FC-20 has them giddy as schoolboys about it.

@ Oscar, little off topic, now the JFT is going to enter in Block 11 production line in few months time how would you compare thsis platform with LCA though it is in still clearance phase and induction dates are extended again and again

@ Oscar, little off topic, now the JFT is going to enter in Block 11 production line in few months time how would you compare thsis platform with LCA though it is in still clearance phase and induction dates are extended again and again

I avoid comparisons since for that you need precise published data or otherwise claims and counter-claims will be rebuffed.
But compared to the LCA Mk-1..the second Batch of JF-17s is a more versatile aircraft..
When the LCA Mk II comes into play with its exact specs and demonstrations.. it may very will be superior to the JF-17 block-II in many ways.

I avoid comparisons since for that you need precise published data or otherwise claims and counter-claims will be rebuffed.
But compared to the LCA Mk-1..the second Batch of JF-17s is a more versatile aircraft..
When the LCA Mk II comes into play with its exact specs and demonstrations.. it may very will be superior to the JF-17 block-II in many ways.
Thank you so very much!!

If by that you mean for the PAF...
There is a Letter of Intent signed between PAF and CATIC for the FC-20.. whose specifications were fluid based on whatever new the Chinese offered. As of now it still is a letter of intent for financial reasons only.
But whatever the PAF has in mind for the FC-20 has them giddy as schoolboys about it.

Man it was just a letter of intent? Why all the websites which I have been to, saying as it is a done deal. They are showing FC-20 even in Pakistan list of fighter aircraft. One reliable web think tank over here in US is normally my most source of info. That site is globalsecurity.org. Membership is not free but I guess it is just like wiki. Well anyway thanks for entertaining my childish queries.

Man it was just a letter of intent? Why all the websites which I have been to, saying as it is a done deal. They are showing FC-20 even in Pakistan list of fighter aircraft. One reliable web think tank over here in US is normally my most source of info. That site is globalsecurity.org. Membership is not free but I guess it is just like wiki. Well anyway thanks for entertaining my childish queries.

Wikipedia is not a reliable website.

A reliable news website/author would be Airforces Monthly, for example.

You are the CPA buddy.. you are paying for the Jf-17's on loans.. and have trouble paying for even the interest charged on them..from CHINA!
So as you can see.. the financial liquidity is not too good.

dont want to go off topic..but LCA mk2 will have a much better engine and seemingly a better radar and avionics but that will also make it much more costlier probably nearly double that of block 2. also to add it would come after 2015

Looks like PLAAF is permanently using JF-17 as a chase aircraft while testing J-20

Skip to 6:40

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom