What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, its not confirmed yet. Both and other countries mentioned in the article have only shown interest in JF-17 sofar.

God bless our pressmen. They can create a mountain out of a mole hill. How can a plane which has not even been inducted into any airforce including the CHINESE andPAF have contracts signed for their sale? I am sure that the said Airforces are very interested , but the contracts will only be signed when the parent company is in a position to provide them and that is not the case as of now.
Araz

the press mans want to keep our minds more then moon.i think until 2012 no one can get JF17.after paf and chaina they can get .we have shortage of planes how we sell these .first replace our old planes then see others.

no one seems to have answered my question,
"Although the 60% of the airframe will be manufactured in pakistan, does this mean that we will produce the parts through our own metallurgical experience or will we just ship those parts from china and assemble it?

I don't take assembling an aircraft to be the same as producing one. What can this mean for pakistan's defense industry? I know that PAC has its own wind tunnel, will we be able to design and produce our own aircraft in the future if necessary? Can someone please answer these questions, I don't want my patriotism getting in the way of facts."

no one seems to have answered my question,
"Although the 60% of the airframe will be manufactured in pakistan, does this mean that we will produce the parts through our own metallurgical experience or will we just ship those parts from china and assemble it?

I don't take assembling an aircraft to be the same as producing one. What can this mean for pakistan's defense industry? I know that PAC has its own wind tunnel, will we be able to design and produce our own aircraft in the future if necessary? Can someone please answer these questions, I don't want my patriotism getting in the way of facts."

dear assad-ul-islam - your inquiry has been answered in this thread. pls find it. if u cant i can post it again.

I've looked, but the best answer i could upon is manufacturing or better yet, assembling the parts. if anyone has the answer, i would appreciate it if i was enlightened.

More JF17s Arrive In Pakistan

March 19, 2008: Pakistan has received another six JF17 fighters from China. The first two had arrived last Summer. Production will increase to 25 a year over the next three years. Pakistan has agreed to buy at least 150 aircraft, and possibly as many as 250. Over the next two years, most of the manufacturing (60 percent of the airframe and 80 per cent avionics) will shift from China to Pakistan. The first fifty aircraft will have Chinese avionics, but the rest will use equipment from Pakistan and Europe.

The JF17 (also known as FC-1 and Super 7) uses a Russian engine, the RD93. For several years, China could not export the fighter because Russia did not want to offend India, a major arms customer, and would not allow China to use the RD93 in exported JF17s.

The 13 ton JF17 is meant to be a low cost ($20 million) alternative to the American F16. The JF17 is considered the equal to earlier versions of the F16, but only 80 percent as effective as more recent F-16 models. The JF17 uses the same Russian engine, the RD-93, that is used in the MiG29. The JF-17 design is based on a cancelled Russian project, the MiG33. Most of the JF-17 electronics are Western, with Italian firms being major suppliers. The JF-17; can carry 3.6 tons of weapons and use radar guided and heat seeking missiles. It has max speed of 1,600 kilometers an hour, an operating range of 1,300 kilometers and a max altitude of 55,000 feet.

The Pakistani JF17s are replacing the Mig-21 (the Chinese F-7 copy), and Mirage III fighters, and A-5 light bombers (a Chinese variant of the MiG-19).

Pakistan intensifies search for JF-17 customers

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Up to four JF-17 Thunder fighter aircraft jointly developed by Pakistan and China were scheduled to fly as part of the annual Pakistan Day parade in Islamabad on 23 March as Pakistan steps up its search for potential buyers for the type among developing countries.

Pakistani officials said that the parade would be an opportunity to present the JF-17 to Islamabad-based foreign defence attachés as a third-generation fighter aircraft that is cheaper than comparable European and US fighters.

According to Pakistani officials, China and Pakistan will each receive 50 per cent of the profits from future sales. Although a price has not been stated publicly, one Western defence official in Islamabad told Jane's that a JF-17 would be sold for around USD20 million, depending on avionics, radars and weapon systems.

Pakistan has so far received six JF-17s from China and plans to induct up to 250 by 2013to replace different versions of the Chinese F-7, the French Dassault Mirage III and Mirage 5 and the Chinese A-5 ground support aircraft presently flown by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).

The six JF-17s currently flown by the PAF are equipped with unspecified Chinese avionics and radar systems, although in February a French Ministry of Defence official confirmed that France was in talks with Pakistan for the future supply of missiles and radars for the aircraft.

A senior Pakistani official told Jane's this week on condition of anonymity that "negotiations with the French authorities have made good progress", although he was unable to say when the talks might be concluded.

He added that Bangladesh, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Malaysia, Morocco and Nigeria were all considered to be potential customers for the JF-17.

Does anyone have any reliable info on jf17's radar, like whats the detection range etc and is it klj-7 0r klj-10 radar?. Lots of comfusing articles on the net.

Does anyone have any reliable info on jf17's radar, like whats the detection range etc and is it klj-7 0r klj-10 radar?. Lots of comfusing articles on the net.

the 1st 50 will have chinese radar and avionics + the SD-10 BVR, the subsequent a/c will be equipped with either french or italian radar and avionics with a choice of US or french BVR. a lot is under evaluation and negotiation so one cannot really comment - remember only 8 a/c out of 150 have been delivered or about 5%. so lets wait and see what really transpires.

So the smoke issue could not be resolved as today it was clearly seen during the flyby of the jets. It seems that fuel was not the issue as orginally was anticipated by the chinese, rather it turns out to be a manufacturing fault of somekind. What will we going to do about it? We are already ready to induct the intial batch of jets but it seems impossible unless the issue is resolved and what more disturbing is that at the moment we do not have an engine alternative. Will we be able to induct them as plained per schedule or a significant delay will take place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom