What's new

JF-17 Thunder – Lightning Strikes Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It will stay with one system overall---. The weapons are already in place---integrated and used in service---. Technicians are trained in service---maintenance & operational use---.

Italy will fight tooth and nail to get this contract---it will have to come up with a special package and deal---.
No sir, PAF has full command over the bus mil-std 1553 and aircraft control is based in a known and universal programming language instead of ADA so JF17 can be integrated with the system that supports them and all of the system, weapons support it. So JF17 can be made into several versions.

This guy has a fun career...

Given that the law of physics will apply equally to both platforms, does this suggest that the specs of the chinese system are over inflated?

The articls says,
Leonardo is also displaying its Grifo-346 (M-Scan) fire control radar in-place on-board the M-346FA (Fighter Attack) aircraft, at its static area.

This radar is presently at an advanced stage of integration on the M-346FA and comes with a suite of field-proven air-to-air, air-to-surface and navigation modes, including high resolution SAR and ISAR.

It will be able to track up to 10 targets simultaneously in Track-While-Scan (TWS) mode and has a maximum range beyond 50 NM (92 km).

I think this is the mechanical scan (M-scan) not the AESA version specific to the M-346FA and the JF-17 version will have different specifications. Just like the Grifo for the F-7 is difference from the Mirage Grifo.

Last edited:
Thanks, I didnot read the article(maybe i should have) but responded directly to NA71 post.

Griffo E radar range is too short in comparison with KLJ-7A. See:

"It will be able to track up to 10 targets simultaneously in Track-While-Scan (TWS) mode and has a maximum range beyond 50 NM (92 km)"

https://gbp.com.sg/leonardo-unveils-new-grifo-e-aesa-radar-at-farnborough/

Given that the law of physics will apply equally to both platforms, does this suggest that the specs of the chinese system are over inflated?
Grifo E specs.
Screenshot_20190616-122851.jpg

https://www.leonardocompany.com/products/grifo-e

4S was confirmed for AMRAAM, so there should be no confusion, it was falcon. Although i have no direct confirmation. FC! follows a different procedure.

@messiach says otherwise....according to her one kill is attributed to the thunder

PAF should buy 25-50 JF17s with the Grifo-E and the Meteor missile, all integrated with the Sab 2000 AEW&C !!!! this is in addition to the Chinese AESA system. It will really make the indians double think as they will be facing the same missile which they claim, can and will "rule" the skies of south asia. The deterrence value will be immense !!!!!

Its a GaN radar. impressive.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...grifo-e-target-hit-key-development-milestones
Selex have already offered state of the art Vixen 1000 E (which is very similar to Gripen NG Raven radar)

my dear brother like you I would love to see this plane carry as much as SU 30 or F-15 but lets be realistic and keep its entire body in mind.
it can only carry so much as its fuselage and the space on the wings allow. and then there is a question of weight which may need more powerful engine which again may need bigger frame.
so, in the end the extra hard points or pylons with extra weapons or WE pods will be competing with each other and existing weight to make a viable war ready jet

say the new engine is in same size but is more powerful then it might give the jet extra speed and more maneuverability but it will be compromised if we go for more weight.
extra weight of extra and heavier more powerful items will work against its T2W , its speed, its endurance and its maneuverability its a delicate mix and I am sure Bk3 will be an improvement and if we really want more on it without compromising its performance but we might need a bigger plane JF-18?

Sir more composites in airframe will do the job. Thats exactly will be done.

The fact that Alan mentions the Grifo E as being in the race as well shows that the Chinese systems are still not free of problems and are clearly not mature products. I hope we don't rush into the decision or dilute down the requirements just to get a system that does not meet the standards.

Hi,

I think the race to grab the contract has also raised the threshold of the capability of the radar that would win the contract---.

And all four of them are doing their best to come up with the best product that would go in the Jf17 nose cone without any doubt---.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom