What's new

JF-17 Thunder Block-II replaces F-7P Skybolt of the Number 2 Minhas Squadron.

- If you were a planner for the IAF, would you want your boys to take on a massive fleet of F-7p's or would you rather want a JFT ?? ... lemme tell you ... If I were a planner for the IAF .... I'd rather have my guys take on F-7's as I would not have to worry about them engaging me in 40-50 Km distances ... I would have easier kills because I would have inferior EW capabilities to deal with --- I would feel much more comfortable because I would have a similar platform in the Mig-21 in my own airforce to work out the capabilities of the fighter in WVR and train my guys to come up with tactics to neutralize such and such ...

But when you have a JFT ... the picture change is almost too drastic ... now you have to worry about a legitimate BVR threat to your own planes, you have to worry about the EW capabilities of the JFT, you have to worry about the availability of your own aircraft owing to the fact, when these jets (JFT) are inducted in numbers like around 100, you will most certainly face a 4th generation platform in the F-16 or JFT every time you decide to get in the air space of PAF --- and lets not forget the jet inducted is not "static" per say --- the standard would be the block II and with new weaponry coming out of China and other countries the jet in the near future will be a bigger threat then it is today ...

Bottom line .... Sq-2 Minhas has been upgraded from using 3rd generation F-7p's which were modified to have better avionics --- with a true 4th generation platform and this upgrade of more or less a generation in equipment will make the job of IAF alot more difficult instead of "easier" as you put it ...
Im not against thunder im against planning IAF knew pak only has F 16 and JF 17 so they have easy task if we got J 10 along with 30 SU 35 IAF never dare to even think of sending any fighter jet in pak incuding their new rafale and pakfa

If it is 4th squadron, the number should be between 70-80 (18*4=72). Why do you think its 55 instead?

Because CCS squadron has 4-5 JF-17. Rest is divided in to three squadrons with 15 JF-17 each

And btw No.2 squadron got Block-1 aircraft. This is picture from Karachi base

11951277_992645167454924_684489724106051971_n.jpg

Because CCS squadron has 4-5 JF-17. Rest is divided in to three squadrons with 15 JF-17 each

Maybe they've been upgraded to blk 2 standard.

maybe its there just for today's static display.
I think we should wait for some official statement/Pics to know #2 squadron has been replaced by which block.

But for this base is something which should never be shut down at any cost. Better to give this base to any Western aviation company to make planes like Boeing or Airbus. They have money to buy at least the 3-7 km surrounding area of Masroor to reduce birds strike n use it settle its own technicians.

Block 1?? Weren't all Block 1 suppose to be replaced with Block 2??

The new base may be FAISAL-MEHRAN AIR BASE but they have a vast land area in Malir with an unpaved runway as well. This might be the new Masroor.

Still we don't have accurate specs of JF17 block-II only assumptions i.e abt radar and what upgrades have been done in EW suites/weapons.

No all Block I will be upgraded to BLOCK II

I told you guys it's BLOCK I not BLOCK II @Sulman Badshah

Maybe they've been upgraded to blk 2 standard.

No all Block I will be upgraded to BLOCK II

I told you guys it's BLOCK I not BLOCK II @Sulman Badshah

Block-II is a very ambiguous term. Block 2 means fixed IFR and Indra Spanish EW suit. Rest of upgrades i.e Firing BVR, AshM, PGM weapons, strengthened wings, Upgraded radar is already in Block-1

maybe its there just for today's static display.
I think we should wait for some official statement/Pics to know #2 squadron has been replaced by which block.

Check there is no markings on 13-150. But other 3 Squads of CCS, Panthers and Spiders have etched there markings on there respective JF-17's. It is a cue it is for No.2 squadron awaiting markings

Chart-2.png

In general, the JF-17 is a vast improvement over the F-7P, especially in terms of range and payload, not to mention the added capability of beyond visual range air-to-air and precision air-to-surface warfare capabilities in the Thunder. For Southern Air Command in particular, the inclusion of the JF-17 will greatly boost that sector’s anti-ship warfare (AShW) capacity: The JF-17 has been integrated with the C-802A and CM-400AKG anti-ship missiles (AShM), and the Block-II will also be equipped with aerial-refuelling probes. These two elements are important gains in as far as PAF’s maritime responsibilities go, the No. 2 squadron’s JF-17s will greatly augment the present AShW cadre in the sector’s specially equipped Mirages.
No. 2 Squadron Replaces F-7P with JF-17

No all Chinese members have told that China has refused
PN has requested these and PAF is also considering to add a few more so that they have about 3 sqd in total.
The only issue is that PAF is still considering the J-10B as well.... Lets see what will come out in the coming months.

PAF Masroor has a bird strike problem. Urbanization has encroached too near to the base, and the damage to PAF jets is costing alot to PAF and has cost several crashes as well. I've heard from several sources that PAF will eventually relocate the base and has already selected a new location which has some added strategic advantages as well. Its now a matter of when whether than if.

China has converted F-6/7s into UAVs for use as air defence decoys and cruise missiles. Hope PAF initiates a similar program for its phased out jets.
Sir,
Here is the video regarding Bird issues on PAF Masroor Airbase.

Population growth & its problems for Masroor AirBase,Karachi - Playit.pk

The new base may be FAISAL-MEHRAN AIR BASE but they have a vast land area in Malir with an unpaved runway as well. This might be the new Masroor.

Malir is now called Jinnah International Airport.

Chota Malir strip is no more in use and has been converted for housing purposes.

The land that has been acquired is at a new location...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom