What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

As a mech engineer, having liquid cooled radars does not make sense to me. Liquid cooling will make the radar heat exchangers bulky, plus then you have to find means of dispelling the heat within the liquid to the air to complete the cycle. On the flip side an air cooled radar would make more sense, since the one thing that any plane has abundant supply of is fast moving cold air. The heated air can be discharged and replenished with new air without having the need to remove the heat from the air. The only advantage of a liquid cooled system is that it is thermally more efficient. Perhaps there are other considerations in a jet that I'm missing.

medium category bird means a bigger cross section which we don't want. Having a bird with a relatively small cross section that the best of enemy radars can't see until the bird itself is within the range of shooting down the enemy is an ace we wanna keep in our sleeves.
F-16 is medium bird but its RCS is 1m2 with air to air load out, same goes F/A-18 E/F, its not about bigger and smaller but its matters plan-form alignments to reduce RCS, for Example F-15 and F-22 have same lengths 63 feet But one jet has a RCS of 25m2 (F-15) and other has 0000.1 (metal marble plate, F-22), and also bro most of the modern jet uses composite material to reduce their RCS further (carbon reinforce plastic/ Carbon fibers) @GumNaam

What, what? So blk 3 is with equipped with a liquid cooled AESA KLJ-7A radar while blk 1 & 2 are gonna be equipped with an air cooled KLJ-7A AESA radar? How many versions of KLJ-7A radars are there anyway???
LFK601 is not version of KLJ-7A and its develop by different institute by China @GumNaam

Initial batches will still be carrying passive scanning. Active electronics needs significant inhouse solution at the moment. The power plant with idle max thrust to idle max weight ratio reported >1. @Oscar
Electric cooling was the pathway looked at. There is an innovative solution pioneered by our collaborators with two phase cooling using less power.

I think PK lags in technical and radar know how and therefore without Chinese input this plane would not have taken off. Therefore I’m not sure how much credit PAF can take for this.

What is the current status of Block 1 and Block 2 Thunder regarding integration with Chinese medium range BVR missiles (SD-10/PL-12)? Has it been integrated with all Pakistani aircraft yet?

Secondly, is there any status report on PL-15 integration with current inventory of JF-17 or will that possibly be reserved only for the 50 or so Block 3 aircraft?

Pakistan airforce has missed few thing a irist system on thunder was required and new medium range missile which thunder dont have we need more missile package

Just go to the JF17 thread - theres plenty of information there and you can raise this any queries there.

As a mech engineer, having liquid cooled radars does not make sense to me. Liquid cooling will make the radar heat exchangers bulky, plus then you have to find means of dispelling the heat within the liquid to the air to complete the cycle. On the flip side an air cooled radar would make more sense, since the one thing that any plane has abundant supply of is fast moving cold air. The heated air can be discharged and replenished with new air without having the need to remove the heat from the air. The only advantage of a liquid cooled system is that it is thermally more efficient. Perhaps there are other considerations in a jet that I'm missing.
Probably you'll need a lot more heat transfer surface area (which means a lot more space might be required even if fins are used) if you want the entire heat transfer through air. Whereas, liquid heat transfer might be more thermally efficient (as you mentioned) in lesser space.

Look at dual phase cooling; smaller size for same efficiency.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom