What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Thats the point.....tests are being carried out which means we can expect visible changes to the airframe
It will have slightly changed airframe if anything. Maybe a change to the intakes and tail. Most people think it will look like a stealth version of the JF17 without realising most of the changes will be internal.

It will have slightly changed airframe if anything. Maybe a change to the intakes and tail. Most people think it will look like a stealth version of the JF17 without realising most of the changes will be internal.
more composites i assume? there was thoughts jf-17b airframe is blk3

more composites i assume? there was thoughts jf-17b airframe is blk3
There are photos showing the gradual increase of composites. IF you imagine the lower picture with similar composites at the Jf17 B model. Also there will likely be reduction in weight due to the 3 axis FBW. Add that with increased fuel and engine thrust being increased that's quite an improvement.

Then you get to deal with the new avionics.....
JF-17B-JF-17bl2.jpg
p1745479_main.jpg

Last edited:
Ma'm if the airframe is pretty much the same as block 2 as claimed by @Deino then what is the point of carrying out the above mentioned tests...

Exactly as @Keysersoze explained. I did mit say there are no changes and IMO they are not related to the external lines but surely the the material and therefore its structure.
So again, everyone who expect major external changes, larger wings, new bigger engine, semi-stealthy airframe and several more pylons will be disappointed.

Why was it a golden era? because we got 18 F16's?
Why not Zia's era when we got 40 f16's minus the drones attacks minus the terrorism minus the bitching against Pakistan.

It was not a point scoring, it's history of Pakistan and that of jF-17.
It's true that golden era of PAF and defense was during Musharraf rule.

You may be having inside news on defense financial matters but that's not how mass media reported it, while ruling party is least transparent in their financial planning, earnings and spending.

There are mass media reports on budget cuts in education, health and construction sectors as well.... so budget cuts are quite believable news these days and it's effects are wide spread, incl. that of inflaton.

Pakistan ka Khuda hafiz.

Exactly as @Keysersoze explained. I did mit say there are no changes and IMO they are not related to the external lines but surely the the material and therefore its structure.
So again, everyone who expect major external changes, larger wings, new bigger engine, semi-stealthy airframe and several more pylons will be disappointed.
I too am not expecting any revolutionary changes as you mentioned but incorporating three axis FBW is going to change the vertical stabilizer and the frontal nose will have to be modified in order to incorporate an AESA in it.

@Deino HMD is being trialed for block3 FC1. Just got a update on block3 undergoing static/drop, fatgue & IGT tests.

I would appreciate if you could give us your opinion on the following for the Block 3:

1. Any chance of IRST showing up on the Block 3? I mean an air-to-air sensor like the Eurofighter's PIRATE and Su-35's OLS-35 and not a targeting pod like the Sniper.
2. Any chance of Towed IR/Radar Decoys and expendable decoys like the Raytheon AN/ALE-50 or ALE-55 and Leonardo Britecloud?
3. Any chance of a 250lb class Quad packable weapon? Something like the Raytheon GBU-39 SDB, UK Spear
4. Any chance of a CBU-97 type sensor fused weapon?

Of course, Pakistan is going to have to find a chinese or turkish system for these purposes. But what chances are there of such systems finding their way on the Block 3?
@messiach

I would appreciate if you could give us your opinion on the following for the Block 3:

1. Any chance of IRST showing up on the Block 3? I mean an air-to-air sensor like the Eurofighter's PIRATE and Su-35's OLS-35 and not a targeting pod like the Sniper.
2. Any chance of Towed IR/Radar Decoys and expendable decoys like the Raytheon AN/ALE-50 or ALE-55 and Leonardo Britecloud?
3. Any chance of a 250lb class Quad packable weapon? Something like the Raytheon GBU-39 SDB, UK Spear

Of course, Pakistan is going to have to find a chinese or turkish system for these purposes. But what chances are there of such systems finding their way on the Block 3?
@messiach

Buy a EF Typhoon instead eh? Who will sell you OLS 35? Russians? What will they integrate on SU-35s then? EFTs pirate IRST? Should they sell it to you and abandon the IRST for the EFT? And Raytheon is dying to sell us CBU 97 right.

Do you guys even think before posting such gibberish?

@messiach
1. Seems the idea of placing an IRST in the JF-17 fell-off after 2015. It'd be useful, but it's not essential to any of the PAF's air warfare scenarios. The priority has been AESA radars, integrated EW/ECM, and HMD/S.

2. The Leonardo BriteCloud is on offer to the PAF, but neither the PAF or Leonardo brought it up. That said, it's a small thing that the PAF could end up buying in limited numbers, but again, not a priority.

3. Depends on Chinese developments.

4. Depends on Chinese developments.

1. Seems the idea of placing an IRST in the JF-17 fell-off after 2015. It'd be useful, but it's not essential to any of the PAF's air warfare scenarios. The priority has been AESA radars, integrated EW/ECM, and HMD/S.

2. The Leonardo BriteCloud is on offer to the PAF, but neither the PAF or Leonardo brought it up. That said, it's a small thing that the PAF could end up buying in limited numbers, but again, not a priority.

3. Depends on Chinese developments.

4. Depends on Chinese developments.
why are IRSTs being discounted so much? IRST is a perfect way of detecting the enemy within short/medium ranges with radar turned off or in an ew environment...

Back
Top Bottom