What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

The dark livery scheme was tested and rejected given the fact that it can be spotted easily. The lighter paint scheme was chosen and will continue.

That's not Thunder Bravo for sure. Look at vertical stabilizer/Tail.
And your view about the composites ?

F16A Block 15
1630501793067.jpeg

F16C Block 70
1630501882381.jpeg

Nearly 50 years between them yet no visible external changes, so please stop crying about how the Block 3 doesn’t look different.

Why would it? It’s a stable and mature platform, changing it would risk ruining the whole program.

F16A Block 15
View attachment 774795
F16C Block 70
View attachment 774796
Nearly 50 years between them yet no visible external changes, so please stop crying about how the Block 3 doesn’t look different.

Why would it? It’s a stable and mature platform, changing it would risk ruining the whole program.
Yet we know that internally, F-16 has had a whole range of structural changes. Even more so in block 60.

I'm refraining on commenting on external changes to the JF-17, besides the most evident ones, as they are few and not very apparent. However, the changes to the leading edge of the wing were discussed sometime last year already for the bravo models. As for the rear fuselage, we know from articles that even block one engine bays can accommodate different powerplants as they designed the compartment with different mounting from the get go

Last edited:
From this angle it seems whole front fuselage is composite no ?

Could be just a documentary of the B variant as well...
That tail is not of a B-variant but an A-variant.

New AESA radar, New HUD, new MAWS, new RWR, new HMD/S, new EW suite, Longer wingtip rails for new WVR missiles, new BVR missiles, 3-axis FBW, increased fuel capacity, more composites in the airframe makeup, an extra hardpoint for targeting and EW pods, Cruise missile carrying capability, apparently a new optical Data link/Bus (MIL-STD-1773), new software and avionics, possibly a new engine with increased thrust (93MA) and FADEC, possibly an OBOGS or further increased oxygen capacity, among many other minor things…but everyones hyped for slightly redesigned wings That will basically add nothing to the aircraft. It’s such a massive upgrade Already. I wish people would focus more on these details.
F16A Block 15
View attachment 774795
F16C Block 70
View attachment 774796

Last edited:

New AESA radar, New HUD, new MAWS, new RWR, new HMD/S, new EW suite, Longer wingtip rails for new WVR missiles, new BVR missiles, 3-axis FBW, increased fuel capacity, more composites in the airframe makeup, an extra hardpoint for targeting and EW pods, Cruise missile carrying capability, apparently a new optical Data link/Bus (MIL-STD-1773), new software and avionics, possibly a new engine with increased thrust (93MA) and FADEC, possibly an OBOGS or further increased oxygen capacity, among many other minor things…but everyones hyped for slightly redesigned wings That will basically add nothing to the aircraft. It’s such a massive upgrade Already. I wish people would focus more on these details.

No word on OBOGS in block 3 just yet.

*sigh* ... I wish the PAF would double-down on the JF-17 and order a large number (100+) of the new B/B3 frames.

*sigh* ... I wish the PAF would double-down on the JF-17 and order a large number (100+) of the new B/B3 frames.

It might continue like 30 Block -III for the time being in current capability, more comes as Block-III B's and then Block-III C & D after maturity in current setup while evolving it having more offensive punching capability to our surprise. Just saying.

Where did that convention come from on what color represents what in the fuselage?
The colors really represent the chemical (zinc chromate) that is being used in the coating (anti corrosion) so was there a rule stating green must be composite or fuel tanks or otherwise?

Where did that convention come from on what color represents what in the fuselage?
The colors really represent the chemical (zinc chromate) that is being used in the coating (anti corrosion) so was there a rule stating green must be composite or fuel tanks or otherwise?

It started with this:

I engaged that person, you'll have to follow the thread for multiple pages to read the entire discussion. And then, in one of the Sep 7 programs that are filmed at PAC, an engineer said on record that green panels have fuel behind them. That's the full story.

Last edited:
It started with this:

I engaged that person, you'll have to follow the thread for multiple pages to read the entire discussion. And then, in one of the Sep 7 programs that are filmed at PAC, an engineer said on record that green panels have fuel behind them. That's the full story.
If they do have fuel behind them(which really can be fit into interesting places - then the coating may also be different as well which is why the different color.

Aluminum in aircraft is coated with different chromate compounds which vary from yellow to green. My contention is that green isn’t a hard and fast rule for fuel tanks -

Correction: the color of the primer is a add on color and not necessarily a different compound. So it may very well be used to differentiate between different areas (no step?!)
Interestingly, more modern construction is focusing on polypropylene based primers because these stuff is poisonous.

If they do have fuel behind them(which really can be fit into interesting places - then the coating may also be different as well which is why the different color.

Aluminum in aircraft is coated with different chromate compounds which vary from yellow to green. My contention is that green isn’t a hard and fast rule for fuel tanks -

Correction: the color of the primer is a add on color and not necessarily a different compound. So it may very well be used to differentiate between different areas (no step?!)
Interestingly, more modern construction is focusing on polypropylene based primers because these stuff is poisonous.

My research showed that the colors are visual cues which can have different meaning. For example, a separate color can be used to signify different handling of a part. So the color by itself is no indication, but the words of the engineer are authentic. Even then, people need to use their brain. The green panels on the sides of the cockpit have no space - it's just thin metal. Also, it would be difficult pumping fuel from the front to the engine in the aft section. At most, some of these panels might house fuel cells for electric power.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom