What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Also I have a question, can PL-12 have a small booster, to increase its range by 10-15 km. Even in small numbers. It will make IAF guessing that incoming PL-12 whether has a range 100 or 120 km?
Also can Chinese bomber have SFDR with booster, guided by Awacs?

P.S I have all the liberty to be non-technical.
you don't really need to add that booster to the PL-12. The Thunders simply need to increase their angle of attack and fire the missile from a very high altitude, the range of the missile will automatically increase since the missile shoots upwards FIRST and descends down upon the enemy target like hell from above. The higher you are when firing the PL-12, the longer the range.

Unfortunately, we only have 30 on order right now, the PAF didn't contract PAC for the other 20 yet. The true threat of the Block-III emerges when we field it in big numbers, e.g., AESA, TDL and LRAAM across 50 Block-IIIs, 26 JF-17Bs, 62 Block-IIs and 50 Block-Is. Otherwise, we'll have fewer AESA-equipped fighters than the IAF (never mind other factors).

What's the possibility of a Block 3a, or even a very quick Block 4?

What's the possibility of a Block 3a, or even a very quick Block 4?
I think it's doable.

In fact, the aircraft that take on the jointly-developed HMD/S could be seen as a 'Block-3A' since they're adding a significant net-new capability that isn't on the Block-3 today.

It wouldn't surprise me if the PAF didn't order the remaining 20 Block-3s because it actually hasn't frozen the configuration for those aircraft. It may have decided to 'break' the program in two batches to prevent the HMD/S from holding the program up -- so the HMD/S-equipped variant could be a Block-3A. Heck, I'd even widen the scope to include a GaN AESA radar, improved TDL and new HMI if that was the case.

I think it's doable.

In fact, the aircraft that take on the jointly-developed HMD/S could be seen as a 'Block-3A' since they're adding a significant net-new capability that isn't on the Block-3 today.

It wouldn't surprise me if the PAF didn't order the remaining 20 Block-3s because it actually hasn't frozen the configuration for those aircraft. It may have decided to 'break' the program in two batches to prevent the HMD/S from holding the program up -- so the HMD/S-equipped variant could be a Block-3A. Heck, I'd even widen the scope to include a GaN AESA radar, improved TDL and new HMI if that was the case.

My thoughts exactly. Let's wait and watch.

Unfortunately, we only have 30 on order right now, the PAF didn't contract PAC for the other 20 yet. The true threat of the Block-III emerges when we field it in big numbers, e.g., AESA, TDL and LRAAM across 50 Block-IIIs, 26 JF-17Bs, 62 Block-IIs and 50 Block-Is. Otherwise, we'll have fewer AESA-equipped fighters than the IAF (never mind other factors).
the true numbers ordered won't be revealed.

It can also mean superior jammers and targeting pods with longer sticks

Perhaps 4 pl15 and 2 pl10 :sniper:
No PL15, but a new missile with longer range than PL12 (SD10) but less than PL15, rest assured it will have significantly longer range than the longest range enemy bvr's

Tell us about PL-15 sir..??

It can also mean superior jammers and targeting pods with longer sticks

No PL15, but a new missile with longer range than PL12 (SD10) but less than PL15, rest assured it will have significantly longer range than the longest range enemy bvr's

Which missile is that?

I think it's doable.

At the risk of too many variants - there are advantages to having total ownership of a platform. There are risks that can be taken with the JF-17 that cannot be taken with any other aircraft in the PAF’s inventory.

Tangential, but there is still the question of the PL-15’s size compared to the SD-10 and whether dual carriage of that weapon even makes sense.

Official source on media just came out when the block 3 production was launched, don't remember where but it is on available on this very forum. will post it when I find it.
this is the first time I've heard of a completely new BVR missile that is not the PL15 that'll out range everything the enemy has by large specifically custom tailored to be used with the Thunders' radar...

so the HMD/S-equipped variant could be a Block-3A. Heck, I'd even widen the scope to include a GaN AESA radar, improved TDL and new HMI if that was the case.

The problem with this approach is the same, too many off-the-shelf systems for the plane it might become a logistical nightmare, the most important aspect of the JF program was the sanction-free/homegrown/cheap/easily accessible parts fighter program, PAF should've started working with Chinese or Turks over AESA but i don't what makes them not go that way.

Single seat is 2A/3A, the 2 seat is 2B/3B

Note, 3B is among the 24 dualseat variants minus the Aesa and enhanced ew which can be refitted if and when required. All versions have HMDS option enabled from the word go. You can swap an HMDS in blk 1 via 1553B/ ARINC 429 BUS without any issues.
Despite these commonalities, the previous blocks cannot be upgraded to blk 3 standard.
The thicker spine in blk 3 houses ew equipment instead of additional fuel akin to blk 52+. The intake at the base of the vertical tail is there to keep the equipment cool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom