What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

That is exactly my confusion from day one of the public announcement of this program. We have seen much more advanced countries struggle for decades to reach the goals set out for AZM. Yet we have two air chiefs claiming to the contrary again and again, which doesn’t add up.
building up a platform with importing all subsystem will not be that difficult...

real issue is to build all the subsystems..

Things have been way too quiet on the Thunder Blk-3 which got me thinking maybe perhaps something is wrong. With a flying prototype revealed almost a year ago, it doesnt make sense that there are no more leaked pictures either there are major changes being made or perhaps program hitting a major dilemma.

Just a theory.
The argument of the Thunder over the J-10 has always been its economics. Both aircraft having similar capability with J-10 offering more payload. The JF-17 is cheaper than the J-10. But now with the Blk-3 variant getting premium subsystems its price will get bumped up and near the J-10 mark. We keep hearing rumors of PAF making a deal for J-10s every month. With Block-3 price increase nearing J-10C territory, the J-10C case would be more attractive as it offers more payload and room for future upgrades.

Absence of pictures or any leaks does not mean that there is no progress or anything disappointing in this regard. Pakistan & China both keeps things under wrap and that is not new. Block-III will once again show-up at the right time however, pandemic has caused a lot of activity hurdles from public point of view. If you ask me, the Thunder is getting more Thunderous.

It means that JF-17 BLK-3 would not be allowed to be exported to other countries in near future, unlike JF-17B.

More likely is the case given its capabilities & designed as per PAF requirements for front line fighter. However, a tailor made/export version might be available for other customers in future.

It means that JF-17 BLK-3 would not be allowed to be exported to other countries in near future, unlike JF-17B.
In my opinion, export version of JF-17 BLK-3 will be some what different. Most of the features which are PAF specific will not be offered to foreign countries, specially COMM and data links, ECM and some special EW techs.

Options will be provided to integrate available Chinese, Russian or Western technologies.

On a contrary, I get the feeling that Azerbaijan seems to be very much interested in the Block III and have been waiting patiently in the background.

Azerbaijan Air Force is in serious need for an upgrade whilst operating some oldskool jets. Not sure if they've approached or been approached by any of the big players.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see how any future deals would be dealt with, now that there is tensions between them & Armenia. Clearly, the US and France are siding with Armenia...

On a contrary, I get the feeling that Azerbaijan seems to be very much interested in the Block III and have been waiting patiently in the background.

Azerbaijan Air Force is in serious need for an upgrade whilst operating some oldskool jets. Not sure if they've approached or been approached by any of the big players.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see how any future deals would be dealt with, now that there is tensions between them & Armenia. Clearly, the US and France are siding with Armenia...
Azerbaijan is a DONE DONE customer if you ask me

JF-17 block 3 is not a cutting edge future technology 5th Generation fighter. any prospect customer has a long list of European, American and Russian jets (SU 35, F-16 Block 70, Rafale, Grippen NG ) that are at par or even better in terms of the technology and performance which JF-17 Block 3 (on paper and web forums) is claimed to provide.

in short, restricting the export of JF-17 Block 3 is laughable and will only get a mocking thanks from other countries for not selling them our JF-17 block 3.

JF-17 block 3 is not a cutting edge future technology 5th Generation fighter. any prospect customer has a long list of European, American and Russian jets (SU 35, F-16 Block 70, Rafale, Grippen NG ) that are at par or even better in terms of the technology and performance which JF-17 Block 3 (on paper and web forums) is claimed to provide.

in short, restricting the export of JF-17 Block 3 is laughable and will only get a mocking thanks from other countries for not selling them our JF-17 block 3.
JF-17 Block 3 is a 4++ gen multirole fighter jet. Some of the 5th gen techs are incorporated in this aircraft.
Furthermore, it is one of the better options available in such a low price of $35 to $40 m a piece, depending on the user customization.

On the other hand following are the raw price estimates of the jet aircraft you suggested in your post.

1. Su 35 ---------------------- $84 m - $100 m
2. F-16 Block 70 ----------- $121.8 m
3. Rafale --------------------- $249 m
4. Grippen NG ------------- $113 m

JF-17 Block 3 is one of those aircraft which can be backbone for poor man's Air Force and a cheaper solution to fill the squadrons of Rich man's Air Force.

In my opinion JF-17s will be bought in huge quantities by number of Air Forces in very near future.

Last edited:
JF-17 Block 3 is a 4++ gen multirole fighter jet. Some of the 5th gen techs are incorporated in this aircraft.
Furthermore, it is one of the better options available in such a low price of $35 to $40 m a piece, depending on the user customization.

On the other hand following are the raw price estimates of the jet aircraft you suggested in your post.

JF-17 Block 3 is one of those aircraft which can be backbone for poor man's Air Force and a cheaper solution to fill the squadrons of Rich man's Air Force.

In my opinion JF-17s will be bought in huge quantities by number Air Forces in very near future.
thanks for your post. I just want to point out that I responded to a suggestion that JF-17 block 3 to be banned from export due to its technology edge. whereas I argued that there is nothing cutting edge which other jets I listed dont have other than its lower cost.

In my opinion JF-17s will be bought in huge quantities by number Air Forces in very near future.
what are you trying to say? poor man rich man?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom