What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

The JF-17 is not a slouch either. This fighter has come a long way. Initially the Thunder was meant to be on par with earlier models of F-16. The current JF-17 Block has surpassed this capability and easily compares with much more advanced versions of F-16. There is no doubt the JF-17 Block 3 is going to be a different animal.

PAF is focused on project Azm to fulfil the requirement for an advanced 5th gen platform.
Problem with azm is time line
I doubt azm will come bfore 2035
Unless azm is a heavily chinese influenced project then it may come by 2027-2030

Problem with azm is time line
I doubt azm will come bfore 2035
Unless azm is a heavily chinese influenced project then it may come by 2027-2030

In my opinion project Azm will be a collaboration between Pakistan and China. Probably along the same line as JF-17. A joint venture where Pakistan provides the requirements and both our engineers work on the implementation. It is likely that PAF opts for an off the shelf Chinese fighter that will be tweaked further according to PAF wishes. Starting a domestic 5th gen project from scratch is improbable.

Rafale has half a dozen radar and IFR systems. IRST..
Block 2 only had 1 and it didnt had a 360 coverage..BLOCK 3 i doubt will have or even can have same numbers of sensors or sensor fusion
It didnt even had quardplux fly by wire..

Lets not do what india does with tejas..
Let keep jf17 where it is ..
A light 4-4.5 gen fighter

I think JF-17 (even B-III) should be taken and kept in the context.

It is not a deep strike fighter - Rafael is.

The shortcomings, that you have highlighted, can be overcome by network centric system.

It have been wondering is it possible to have a search radar on a pod in theory? Say carried under a hardpoint on a JF-17? It will be different in band to the KLJ-7 and I just need some opinions on it.

Rafale has half a dozen radar and IFR systems. IRST..
Block 2 only had 1 and it didnt had a 360 coverage..BLOCK 3 i doubt will have or even can have same numbers of sensors or sensor fusion
It didnt even had quardplux fly by wire..

Lets not do what india does with tejas..
Let keep jf17 where it is ..
A light 4-4.5 gen fighter
What are you talking about? The Rafale does not have a a 360 degrees radar coverage. Where did you get that from? Its sensors consist of a single radome mounted AESA unit, an IRST, and an EW system. You are too impressed by the fancy marketing terms Dassault uses to impress buyers. I don't think you know much about French culture. They are known for making a huge fuss about very little. However, it does work very well as is evident from this conversation.

The JF-17 Block 3 will have all these sensors, and the PAF can create excellent communication between them using off-the-shelf computing systems and by working with a potentially unlimited number of international firms to develop both hardware and interface.

Last edited:
It have been wondering is it possible to have a search radar on a pod in theory? Say carried under a hardpoint on a JF-17? It will be different in band to the KLJ-7 and I just need some opinions on it.
Small AESAs mounted on 360 degree gimbals already exist. They can be easily integrated.

Small AESAs mounted on 360 degree gimbals already exist. They can be easily integrated.
Not fighter radar, I am talking a L band or S band radar for detecting LO targets at farther ranges. You remeber when everyone thought that the Su-35 used L band aesa in Leading edge extension as a anti stealth radar but it was actually for IFF and EW? Same concept here but on a pod that could actually act as a radar.

If you don’t mind can you provide a reputable source I’ve not seen anything in regards to that. Thanks.
Saw them on two separate tv programs. I don't keep up too much, so you'll have to ask someone who is more active. Maybe @Zarvan can help?

I'm sure at least one of them is here on this thread.

Not fighter radar, I am talking a L band or S band radar for detecting LO targets at farther ranges. You remeber when everyone thought that the Su-35 used L band aesa in Leading edge extension as a anti stealth radar but it was actually for IFF and EW? Same concept here but on a pod that could actually act as a radar.
A small L band radar on an aircraft? It would have too poor a resolution.

A small L band radar on an aircraft? It would have too poor a resolution.
Maybe, but when you factor in stealth is optimized for X band search radars you will have no luck detecting the stealth aircraft at all. It is just a theory, not sure how good it is though.

Maybe, but when you factor in stealth is optimized for X band search radars you will have no luck detecting the stealth aircraft at all. It is just a theory, not sure how good it is though.
Which is why the operational alternative is multiple IR modules placed around the aircraft.

@Mamajama

The AN/APY-9 AEW&CS radar with its low frequency/high wavelength may be able to detect LO targets.
I read that, and so are the Erieye and Globaleye in VHF L band but apparantly they were of little help to find F-22 in exercises. I will link some articles if you want.

But alas India will always have inferior fifth gen fighters compared to American/Western unless they somehow get the F-35 so it's not a huge worry to me.

Back
Top Bottom