What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Why the JF-17 Block-III Needs a Dedicated IRST System

With a prototype of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC)/Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group (CAIG) JF-17 Block-III flying in December 2019, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) is a step closer to inducting the improved, and much awaited, upgrade of the Thunder multi-role fighter aircraft.

Of the intended subsystem additions, the lack of infrared search and track (IRST) is intriguing. IRST is now becoming a standard capability on so-called “4+” and “4.5” generation fighters, providing those jets with a complementary means of situational awareness (in addition to radar and data-link-based sensor feeds).

This is an important capability as the future of South Asia’s air warfare environment is poised to see heavy use of electronic warfare (EW) and electronic intelligence (ELINT) assets to jam and identify, respectively, radar emissions. Passive sensors, such as IRST, will become a necessity in the future.

However, despite apparent interest in adding IRST to the JF-17, IRST seems to have fallen off from the JF-17 Block-III’s intended feature set. Though the PAF is apparently content with using targeting pods (i.e., ASELPOD) as an infrared sensor, this would not entirely fulfill the role – or benefit – of IRST.

What is Infrared Search and Track (IRST)?
IRST is a sensor that detects and tracks aerial objects using the objects’ infrared signature. IRST systems do not emit any signals of their own, so they are passive. In other words, the aircraft using an IRST system is not vulnerable to exposure as a result of using the IRST.

This is in contrast to using radar which does pose risk of exposure to electronic intelligence (ELINT) and electronic support measures (ESM) suites, such as radar warning receivers (RWR). Of course, to overcome this issue air forces (including the PAF) are adopting active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars with low-probability-of-intercept (LPI) qualities. However, the risk of exposure is still present…

https://quwa.org

I have been invited to an airbase to meet JF17s. I am very excited, i will be inside their maintenance and repair. I dont think i can take pictures of everything, but i will get few closeups and share it here.
Anything u guys want to see? (should not be confidential), i will be mostly checking b1 and maybe a b2 as well.

The best option we can possibly invest in is SU-35 with J-20 Radar and avionics and AAMs
THAT IS
IF RUSSIA ALLOWS

Rafale would be a sitting duck
Not possible bro, Avionics+Radar are developed according to specific jets, and there are source codes considerations/problems for integrating J-20 avionics/Radar/weapons to Su-35, Chinese will not allow to Put their top notch/strategic/top secret tech on foreign jet, hence its not feasible

Why would you compare a lightweight fighter with a medium/heavy-weight fighter?
And why don't you compare their prices? If you can afford the price of Rafale, you would have much better choices.

Fanboys don't understand the concept of light-weight, medium-weight and heavy-weight jet fighters. They think all fighters weigh the same but have different technology.

Fanboys don't understand the concept of light-weight, medium-weight and heavy-weight jet fighters. They think all fighters weigh the same but have different technology.
With the advent and standardization of EW and advanced BVRs, the category thing doesn’t count anymore in A-A warfare. @nomi007 wasn’t wrong to say what he said.

This is 2020 not 1975 or before

You missed the show ma’am.
We ripped apart the machine every inch the day pics came
Can someone please explain the JFT -III dimensions, wingspan & aircraft length?
How similar or different B-III is from B-I/II?
Is it similar to F-16 in breadth and widths or still too short?
I read it in the previous pages that the fuel capacity of B-III has been slightly increased but missed its size info.

I read it in the previous pages that the fuel capacity of B-III has been slightly increased but missed the size.
Once i becomes a marketing agent of AVIC, i will definitely let you know that

I have been invited to an airbase to meet JF17s. I am very excited, i will be inside their maintenance and repair. I dont think i can take pictures of everything, but i will get few closeups and share it here.
Anything u guys want to see? (should not be confidential), i will be mostly checking b1 and maybe a b2 as well.

Dear honourable and respectable brother,

Please if possible at all, can you get any photos (full if possible) of any of the following aircraft with their serial numbers clearly showing.

2P-46 / ??-246
2P-49
/ ??-249
2P-50
/ ??-250
2P-56 / ??-256
2P-60 / ??-260
2P-61
/ ??-261
2P-62 / ??-262
2P-63
or 2P-63B / ??-263
2P-64
or 2P-64B / ??-264

Any photos of the top 3 or the bottom 2 will be a massive help. (The ones in red are missing from my collection).

Thank you in advance brother.
PakSA

Last edited:
I read it in the previous pages that the fuel capacity of B-III has been slightly increased but missed its size info.
Details have not been released yet. But on visual assessment of the Pics released last month, the BIII has by and large the same dimensions as the BI & BII, albeit there may be minor changes for placement of sensors etc. BIII is a new bird under the skin. Just like F-16V is a new bird under the skin.

Another deference between b1 & b3...what is this.
ff.jpg

Back
Top Bottom