What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

I would say Prowlers atleast but not growlers wont be space to add Anti Radiation and BVR Missiles like the growers. JF-17 isnt large enough to accommodate all those things.

Then theres the issue of range too
The purpose of growlers is not to carry missiles but jamming equipment, they fly under the cover of fighters carrying BVR AAMs.

RBE-2 AA has 110 km detection range vs KLJ-7A has over 200 km?
I think credibility of the article becomes suspect, with this one statement.

No disrespect intended to anyone, though.

It is best to do some research instead of doubting the credibility of the article. RBE2 PESA offered 120-130km vs fighter sized target. The Aesa version added up to 50% to that.

120+60= 180

The article mentions three sided version offering 200km detection for fighter sized target.
The TR count is also different where the rbe 2 reaching between 900 while klj approaching 1100 TR modules.

“China offered Pakistan joint venture on the J-10 program in 1992 and Pakistan rejected it because Pakiatan wanted a light-weight fighter to replace it's older light-weight fighters.”

This is complete BUll$h1t. Chinese never offered joint venture for J-10. They offered it for 65 million each on high interest loan which will end up costing each 68 to 70 million each. PAF didn’t reject it because of JF-17 B3, they reject it because of the cost. JF-17 is light weight and J-10 is medium weight with longer range Radar and higher Maneuverability.

Not to forget, J-10 was still under development and PAF was still holding onto hopes of getting its F-16s from the US. Cash strapped Pakistan would be cautious at committing to the amount and payment plan you have mentioned for as-yet an underdeveloped platform with underdeveloped avionics and weapon systems. As per AM(R) Shahid Latif's interview (& I paraphrase) that 'we knew that the Chinese were developing a new aircraft (J-10) and so we approached them to help develop one for Pakistan as well.' This clarifies that Pakistan was, indeed, asking for a lightweight fighter (LWF). To obviate the problem of Chinese 'underdeveloped avionics and weapon systems' Pakistan was hoping to incorporate Western/European avionics and weapon systems. But as J-10 and JF-17 began to take shape so did Chinese avionics and weapon systems.

It is best to do some research instead of doubting the credibility of the article. RBE2 PESA offered 120-130km vs fighter sized target. The Aesa version added up to 50% to that.

120+60= 180

The article mentions three sided version offering 200km detection for fighter sized target.
The TR count is also different where the rbe 2 reaching between 900 while klj approaching 1100 TR modules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale
(See under Radar And Sensors)
The RBE2 AA active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar now replaces the previous passively scanned RBE2. The RBE2 AA is reported to deliver a greater detection range of 200 km.

I know it is Wikipedia, but no respectable site gives ranges off-hand just like that lately for top tier radars and used in top of the line fighters.

In any case a 110km range wouldn't pose that much of a threat now would it?

Last edited:
Whats the difference between PL 15 AND PL 15E?
Nothing but E for export
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale
(See under Radar And Sensors)
The RBE2 AA active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar now replaces the previous passively scanned RBE2. The RBE2 AA is reported to deliver a greater detection range of 200 km.

I know it is Wikipedia, but no respectable site gives ranges of-hand just like that lately for top tier radars and used in top of the line fighters.
In any case a 110km range wouldn't pose that much of a threat now would it?
He said Early PESA on RAFALE has range of 110 km but new AESA on RAFALE has range of 180 km for detecting FIGHTER JETS SIZED TARGETS

Last edited by a moderator:
He said Early PESA on RAFALE has range of 110 km but new AESA on RAFALE has range of 180 km for detecting FIGHTER JETS SIZED TARGETS
I quoted this from the article ...
"RBE-2 AA has 110 km detection range vs KLJ-7A has over 200 km?
I think credibility of the article becomes suspect, with this one statement.
"

Where RBE-2 AA clearly is the AESA radar and not the PESA radar.
Which made the site's credibility look suspect.

To which @Dazzler Sahib responded ...
"It is best to do some research instead of doubting the credibility of the article."

Hence my reply.

Pakistan will have to increase block3 production to fulfill domestic and international orders.
If PAF is thinking about block 4, it won't be ready until 2025. I hope that it's redesigned to look more like 4.5 generation fighter.

That is the strategy that every 5 years there should be a new block. This is what Major General Shahid Latif was saying that JF-17 will never go old as the continuous upgrade will make it relevent in the future.

That is the strategy that every 5 years there should be a new block. This is what Major General Shahid Latif was saying that JF-17 will never go old as the continuous upgrade will make it relevent in the future.
Block 2 and 3 were more than five years...

120+60= 180

USAF news item video on Facebook where French brought their plane showed some specs and radar was stated to have 110-120 km range I had posted a link somewhere but I will not get caught up on ranges as mki was also called out 300-400 km range but OEM clearly states 120-140 against Figter and not so call 300-400 km

All specs of Russian systems are usually twice that of west but west still surpasses in avionics

R-77 was not inducted by Russian in large number initially because other semi active aam out ranges it

Anyway I will leave it that range at what speed and altitude and against what type of target will give you bottom line

Even now aim-120 is claimed 100 plus km on forums while usaf either avoid giving out the range or given it more than 30 nm I am sure That range is at 40k plus higher and Mach plus closing target with 4/5 g max

With awacs and data link in picture individual Fighter radar are not a factor

How do you think mirages 5 of paf with just laser know that situational environment in a battle without radar ?

I have a feeling that recent block of 8 JF-17B we inducted, some of them may be JF-17E (Growlers) @Windjammer spoke about last year.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-17b-ew-growler.587580/

True, possibly because the technology didn't mature as fast. An upgrade makes sense when significantly better variants are available. Marginal improvements in technology do not justify the cost-to-benefit ratio.

But here is the good news, after developing JF-17 Block-III, west will open up to share its upgrade or they know through China, Pakistan will get those technologies anyway and their chance of doing the business will be lost. Improving economy will also make every supplier soften up and create in-roads before the others.

We also have to take into consideration that China is slowly maturing their technology. Whereas the West already operating top of the line fighters tech wise can sustain dominance while working on newer tech, China has to build their base from scratch.

I’m sure they’ll catch up in a decade or so because they aren’t just relying on R&D but also espionage to bridge the gap as well.

I have a feeling that recent block of 8 JF-17B we inducted, some of them may be JF-17E (Growlers) @Windjammer spoke about last year.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/jf-17b-ew-growler.587580/

True, possibly because the technology didn't mature as fast. An upgrade makes sense when significantly better variants are available. Marginal improvements in technology do not justify the cost-to-benefit ratio.

But here is the good news, after developing JF-17 Block-III, west will open up to share its upgrade or they know through China, Pakistan will get those technologies anyway and their chance of doing the business will be lost. Improving economy will also make every supplier soften up and create in-roads before the others.
I never objected to five year+ gap, take 8 years but give us something truely fruitful !!!

Back
Top Bottom